Tarantino interviews

Started by Robyn, January 08, 2018, 12:48:35 PM

Robyn

Robyn

Something Spanish

fuckin a jenkins, thanks for posting that

wilberfan

Listening to it now.  I'd like to suggest that Quentin put together an in-person, three hour lecture where he shows clips from these films and talks about the cultural impact, behind-the-scenes intrigue, etc, of these 60s/70s films.  Fascinating stuff.   He could do one for each film decade...

wilberfan

QUENTIN TARANTINO'S FEATURE PRESENTATION

In a new 3-part podcast, Film Critic Amy Nicholson talks with Quentin about 5 films he's programmed the New Beverly Cinema and how they connect to his life and career.  The five films are:

• POINT BLANK
  • ENTER THE DRAGON
  • VALLEY GIRL
  • HOLLYWOOD SHUFFLE
  • BOOGIE NIGHTS
(Careful observers will be aware that the 5th film in that list is a bit of an obsession with  yours truly.  So Tarantino-related excitement and anticipation have returned to my heart following my recent excursion to The Dome.)

Part I:

https://www.theringer.com/2019/7/25/20727062/quentin-tarantino-feature-presentation-point-blank-reservoir-dogs

Something Spanish

really enjoyed watching this, think is was a special feature on a QT dvd box set from 2012

WorldForgot

Consequence of Sound w/ Tarantino

How do you feel streaming affects future filmmakers? How do you feel it would have affected you growing up?

Well, I can honestly tell you as much as you have access to everything, I actually had access to more at Video Archives. It was actually kind of funny because I don’t have Netflix in America, but I live half my time in Tel Aviv, so I actually started watching it for the first time and I thought, “Hey, this is pretty fun; I kind of like this.” So, when I came back to Los Angeles, I actually asked to have a meeting with Ted Sarandos because he’d been very respectful to me for a long time. So, I just wanted to tell him, “Hey, look, I’ve finally watched your thing,” and I told him what I liked and then he goes, “Okay, any things? Any suggestions you can make?” And I said, “Yes, I do, I have a couple.” So I told him a couple of things I didn’t like, but one of the things I said is, “You could have more ‘70s movies on there.” And he goes, “Yeah.” And I said, “I mean … it’s such a giant hole. I was even surprised that you have so little. I’m gonna put it like this: I looked up Burt Reynolds. You had four Burt Reynolds movies, and two of them were The Longest Yard.” And he actually hid his face in his hands. He’s like, “Oh my god.”

So, let me get back to your question before I derailed. On one hand, I don’t know if I would even be a filmmaker if I was 22 right now. Or, maybe, I made my first movie when I was like 29, and maybe I would have made four movies on an iPhone by the time I’m 29. They might not be any good, but I would have learned my craft, and I definitely wouldn’t have been sweating the idea of going to film school; that’s for damn sure. They’re going to get you nothing but an iPhone, but I’m paying you $50,000? In the ‘70s, there was a reason you went to film school: you got film, you got a camera. So, who knows. Maybe absolutely yes, or maybe who knows.

This actually could have derailed me. It could have stopped me in my tracks because it could have been almost too good — the technology that exists. Okay, say video stores were still in existence, but all the other technology for the last 10 years was going strong. Me and the guys at Video Archives would have absolutely had a podcast. We absolutely would have had a podcast, and it would have been fantastic, and we would have felt great about it, and I’m sure it would have been popular at least from the people in Manhattan Beach, but I actually think it would’ve gotten even more popular than that. But that actually might have satiated me enough to not go forward as a filmmaker because I was .. getting nourished. I was still undernourished, but I would have been nourished enough and like, “How much more can you expect?”

[...]

So, what’s next? Are you really going to stick to the 10 films?

Yeah, that’s the idea.

Is Star Trek going to be part of that?

I think I’m steering away from Star Trek, but I haven’t had an official conversation with those guys yet. In a strange way, it seems like this movie, Hollywood, would be my last. So, I’ve kind of taken the pressure off myself to make that last big voilà kind of statement. I mean to such a degree there was a moment when I was writing and went, “Should I do this now? Should I do something else? Is this the 10th one?” No, no don’t stop the planets from aligning, what are you, Galactus? If the Earth is saying do it, do it. Not that it was an argument, but a little thought, like, “Well, if I’m gonna go out like Max Ophüls style, Lola Montez, this is it, and if It’s not good, then all my other work is trash, alright.” This would have been the one. But in a weird way, it actually kind of freed me up. I mean, I have no idea what the story of the next one’s going to be. I don’t even have a clue

Is there a genre you’ve been starving for?

No, I know nothing! I’ll tell you in a second, not what it’s going to be, but why I don’t know. But one of the things that it has done is that it has made me feel like I’ve made my big statement on Hollywood and that there is the accumulation of a career, accumulation of my interest, accumulation of the filmography. If the idea that all the films are a boxcar and it’s all one train, they’re all telling one story. Well, this is the climax, so I can actually see now my 10th movie probably being a little smaller.

Alethia

Robyn

Alethia

https://overcast.fm/+U1XGOfUa8

This is a fantastic 3 hour conversation between QT and Edgar Wright, first half in which they discuss formative cinema-going experiences (in conjunction with the latest issue of Empire covering the same from all manner of luminaries), second half they dive deep into British cinema, references largely pulled from a list compiled by Scorsese at Wright's personal request. Will go back soon and compile a list of everything mentioned and include it here (it's a lot) but for now, enjoy! :)

jenkins

Via Reddit

Movies Scorcese's British Film Recs to Edgar Wright

The Empire Film Podcast – A Celebration of Cinema: Edgar Wright and Quentin Tarantino in Conversation

in a critical realm First Cow was helped by the pandemic, in terms of a concentrated memory, but in a larger sense The Invisible Man was bolstered. I remember I downplayed the invisible man but it's doing well for itself because of itself and the reason described

jenkins

now dying to see Stolen Face. so Edgar describes it and a doctor has a crush on a woman but she ain't having it and therefore the doctor performs surgery on another woman's face who accepts him and this woman comes to look like the woman who rejects him. part of the Eyes Without a Face and The Skin I Live In type of movie

later I read the IMDb nice tidy description

A doctor repairs a female inmate's disfigured face to match the lovely woman who left him, and marries her, only to find out how abusive she is.

Alethia

Quote from: jenkins on February 08, 2021, 03:27:11 PM
Via Reddit

Movies Scorcese's British Film Recs to Edgar Wright

The Empire Film Podcast – A Celebration of Cinema: Edgar Wright and Quentin Tarantino in Conversation

in a critical realm First Cow was helped by the pandemic, in terms of a concentrated memory, but in a larger sense The Invisible Man was bolstered. I remember I downplayed the invisible man but it's doing well for itself because of itself and the reason described

Ah well done! I always forget one can find literally anything on Reddit.

wilder

Quote from: jenkins on February 08, 2021, 03:52:10 PM
now dying to see Stolen Face. so Edgar describes it and a doctor has a crush on a woman but she ain't having it and therefore the doctor performs surgery on another woman's face who accepts him and this woman comes to look like the woman who rejects him. part of the Eyes Without a Face and The Skin I Live In type of movie

What a premise! Sounds super intriguing, I'm looking forward to seeing it, too.