Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

kingfan011

Quote from: Alma on July 18, 2021, 12:16:54 PM
Venice film festival line-up announces in a week, so we could hear something then?

I would hope so. If not there then NYFF. And if not there than I guess he's doing the Phantom Thread no festival route

wilberfan

Not to get too pessimistic (although that's my nature), it occurred to me this morning that if the Delta Variant keeps wreaking havoc on SoCal (local health dept just mandated masks indoors regardless of vaccination status)--come late Nov/Dec, theaters might be closed again.   I wonder if Paul has the clout to get the release rescheduled--or if they'd go the streaming route, or....

kingfan011

Quote from: wilberfan on July 18, 2021, 12:58:27 PM
Not to get too pessimistic (although that's my nature), it occurred to me this morning that if the Delta Variant keeps wreaking havoc on SoCal (local health dept just mandated masks indoors regardless of vaccination status)--come late Nov/Dec, theaters might be closed again.   I wonder if Paul has the clout to get the release rescheduled--or if they'd go the streaming route, or....

Very true and very annoying by the way. I was enjoying going to bars and restaurants and feeling like everything was normal again

Yes

Theaters will not close. At most, just another mask mandate or seating capacity. NYFF is doing in person screenings. As will Venice. Even with another COVID wave, I don't think studios will push anything after debacle of last year. If anything, Soggy Bottom would be on VOD after like a month instead.

I'm not sure about Venice anymore. So probably NYFF. I'd be shocked if it didn't do festivals since it's releasing in November. The Phantom comp doesn't fit here.

pynchonikon

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2021/7/rnsjbgcvvhxkjik36352ktdtgyyfzy

QuotePaul Thomas Anderson's 'Soggy Bottom' Aiming for New York Film Festival World Premiere

You can -almost- forget about Paul Thomas Anderson's "Soggy Bottom" premiering at Venice or Telluride. A little birdie is telling me that the New York Film Festival is very close to nabbing the world premiere to the film.

As we speak, the Venice and Telluride lineups are close to 90-95% completed. There is still an open slot at both fests reserved for the film, just in case PTA's latest decides to go that route, but it does look as though New York has won the "Soggy Bottom" sweepstakes. A major catch.

If you remember, it was also at NYFF that PTA's "Inherent Vice" had its world premiere. It was the catch of the fall festival season as a swarm of press, from all over the world, went to the Big Apple just to catch that screening. A similar thing happened in 2019 when NYFF nabbed the world premiere for Martin Scorsese's incredibly anticipated "The Irishman."

It also makes sense considering little Hoffman and Benny Safdie are NY residents so it would be easier for them to attend.

Drill

Again, that guy doesn't know shit. He was saying it might premiere at Cannes. He's got to be right eventually.

Alma

He does make stuff up, but it would make sense. I've seen a couple of other people in the past day saying it's not going to Venice. Although he's definitely hedging his bets with the "open slot reserved" thing.

wilberfan

Quote from: wilberfan on July 20, 2021, 05:26:27 PM
How Cannes Pulled Off an In-Person Film Festival by Spending More Than $1 Million on COVID Testing (EXCLUSIVE)

Quote...the festival fronted more than $1 million to cover the costs of regular, free COVID testing to approximately 28,000 attendees. Those from the European Union could bypass such procedures by showing proof of vaccination, but there were no guarantees that people wouldn't get sick as the Delta variant spread globally.

Wonder what MGM spent on Covid testing and all the other extensive protocols for Soggy?  Wouldn't surprise me if it added...15% or more?...to the budget?  On the other hand there was probably a much smaller crew.  Would love to see an article from that angle one day...

Drenk

No Soggy Bottom at Venice, it seems.

Ascension.

Yes

MGM didn't submit to Venice.

It's most likely NYFF.

pynchonikon

Quote from: pynchonikon on April 20, 2021, 01:14:22 PM
Now my guess is NYFF.

Since the limited/wide US release dates announced, the IV-route always seemed to be the case: WP in NY, domestic distribution in December, international distribution in January/February.

Alma

Well we'll find out next week, I guess.

wrongright

I'm not sure what MGM is doing here. What are they even expecting from this? Awards? In that case, it should've been ready for Venice, which is the big launchpad for Awards season.

The Inherent Vice route was....not a success. Don't know why they'd think it's smart to try that again.

Find Your Magali

Respectfully, I don't think a different route would have changed the awards calculus for IV.

Yes

I think it's more an issue of COVID complicating international traveling than anything else. That's why so many films are skipping TIFF this year

This movie will be more accessible than Inherent Vice.  No award strategy could have changed its fate. It still did surprise with the screenplay nomination