Iphone Cinema?

Started by Reel, July 17, 2015, 02:47:02 PM

Reel

split from the 'Shot on fucking film' thread:

Quote from: jenkins<3 on July 17, 2015, 12:51:34 PM
Right now there being obstacles toward improving the quality and condition of digital photography, if digital photography lacks some of the finer features of film, if it's behind film, than ok, than that's the fight, than that's the hard fight and I respect the person who takes that fight on.

Recently I've wanted to go see Tangerine, which was shot on an iPhone 5S, and it's playing at theaters in LA where the big movies play. I don't think this movie'll make it seem like an iPhone 5S looks better than film. But again, the true pulse of cinema differs from its format, and I like the spirit of Tangerine.

it's 'then' by the way..

(Tangerine Tangent)

watching this trailer, it seems that all the best shots (i.e, closest looking to film) were taken outside. Even the ones with the camera moving look really good. From my experience owning a 5s for the past 2 years, I came to the conclusion that if you wanted the cleanest looking image the camera would have to be completely still, so I'm impressed with what they've accomplished here. I've taken a lot of video, but still consider myself in the 'test' phase of really finding out what this camera is capable of. I've been meaning for awhile to edit together some of this footage and see how it looks on an HDTV. Most of it is outdoor shots of nature, animals, the rain. I wonder, have you guys seen anything truly brilliant that was shot on an iPhone, outside of World Star Hip Hop, I mean? The one feature film I've seen that Kevin Smith produced is called 'Bindlestiffs' shot by a bunch of teenagers, which I found a little funny, but nothing I'd recommend. Here's the trailer for good measure, though:

This thread is about iPhone cinema. Bring me the goods.

jenkins

Couldn't read your post because I had to Google "if...then" and read about that. The subject is titled "Iphone Cinema?" and my answer is yes.

polkablues

My only reservation is that the cameras on phones have almost gotten too good, it kind of defeats the purpose of using them. Unless you're doing it because you're zero-budget and punk rock and it's the only camera available to you, in which case go kick some ass with it, but as an aesthetic choice, it doesn't have any specific lo-fi appeal anymore. It's a clean image without any real character of its own, not as good as an expensive movie camera, but not bad enough to be interesting in the way that Soderbergh's use of mini-DV was in Full Frontal, or Michael Almereyda's use of a Fisher-Price Pixelvision toy camera was in Hamlet.

tl;dr version: someone shoot a movie with one of these and then we'll talk.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

This camera will be used on reality shows soon, as new affordable digital cameras tend to be first used on reality shows. Surfers, skaters, mountain people, and other types of people will use this camera. I personally like how in the video about this camera, the phrase "or keep around the house to capture your family" is used. Personal uses of this camera are irl scary fascinating, and this camera might be in a horror movie, except the video mentions the camera can't carry nights.

I like that people are thinking about new types of ways to have and use cameras. I like when these types of textures are woven together, which I think happens in reality tv, but can be used from cinematic perspectives as well. It is using new tools, they can look like tools, and the point is that when this type of photographic exploration is happening, these types of cameras keep getting made, and that's a thing that I'd call good.

It's always only and of course really it's just how good the person using the format is working cinema, and using stories, information, and emotions. That's the ballgame, is what I think. All players included.

Drenk

Hyperlapse is a good app to move your iPhone without destroying everything. It's for lapses but you can have no...lapses at all. I'm not clear. Download the app, try it! It's free.
Ascension.

jenkins

Quote from: polkablues on July 17, 2015, 03:39:06 PM
My only reservation is that the cameras on phones have almost gotten too good, it kind of defeats the purpose of using them. Unless you're doing it because you're zero-budget and punk rock and it's the only camera available to you, in which case go kick some ass with it, but as an aesthetic choice, it doesn't have any specific lo-fi appeal anymore.

This isn't true, btw. Tangerine exhibits both the aesthetic and production values of using a camera phone.