Moving Poster:
http://vimeo.com/user4895266/review/117398735/9af435c132

Teasers:
http://www.craveonline.com/film/previews/812811

jenkins

BB

jenkins

I haven't watched this too late I watched it at the exact right time

now, to instigate curiosity in a general capacity, I will say that it was relayed to me by a person who has never heard of Ari Aster, and thus is believable, that Ari Aster called Guy Maddin in order to express his appreciation of Maddin's contributions to cinema, and even offered his services

in a more esoteric capacity, and thus more in line with my own interests, I will mention that only today I learned that Sparks are in this movie, and that I didn't even watch the movie for this very reason, although it's rather topical these days

how funny. as the career of David lowery demonstrates, nerds attract each other. this is a fucking juicy pivotal point in guy maddin's career. here is when, in a substantial way, we replace George Toles with Evan Johnson. and although uncredited as a writer in the movie, this is when Kim Morgan is present. and John Ashbery contributed a poem to this movie (I have heard it said that Maddin introduced Ashbery to collages)

Maddin both reclaims the idea of silent cinema and invigorates it, so I'm a big fan. perhaps a younger me would have called this movie surreal, but that younger me would have been incorrect. surely, now I would say that it offers tangible density to the incomprehensible, which is a whole wonderful aspect of post-modernism. seeking beyond the knowable. (which is just an intellectual way to be emotional.) as it is, Maddin, and previously Toles, now Maddin and others, are such boys. they're such ADHD children from outside the realm of saying ADHD. they want to entertain themselves most of all, and the existential properties are but one form of their entertainment. mainly they accentuate the most dynamic properties of storytelling, such that melodrama seems so obvious it's only a backdrop. melodrama and more, how could I not like Maddin

the overall narrative concerns a crew of people trapped in a submarine with a melting block of catastrophic jello something, the mysterious appearance of a woodsman, and copious sub-stories (nesting doll stories) related to lost films from the silent era, and inspired at least in part by Raymond Roussel