Miscellaneous trailers

Started by Mel, August 05, 2014, 07:21:23 AM

polkablues

Conflating the mythologies of mermaids and sirens in a frankly irresponsible manner. For shame!

Looks intriguing, though, to be serious. Like a John Waters horror movie, kind of.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

April 14th

"You can't stop a shooting star, our scientists have proven this."

jenkins

"The grossest movie ever made." –The Verge

"Those who walked out were completely right to do so... Kuso is destined to be legendary." –The Film Stage

"I tried to warn folks." –Flying Lotus

Dir. Flying Lotus, 2017, DCP, 105 min.

QuoteGet ready for Kuso, Steve Ellison aka Flying Lotus' film debut, and the latest entry in midnight movie history – a challenging, perverse, free-jazz, body horror psycho-scape of epic and disgusting proportions. In a series of sketches featuring a cast of funkadelic freakazoids and comic maniacs – from George Clinton to Tim Heidecker and Hannibal Buress – and with animations by Newgrounds pioneer David Firth, Kuso is a visual feast – just a rotting, putrid, and otherworldly one that that would make Matthew Barney queasy. Only playing at midnight.

it's playing for a series of days, with all its screenings at midnight

WorldForgot

Quote from: jenkins on June 26, 2017, 03:34:09 PM
it's playing for a series of days, with all its screenings at midnight

Excited to see this with a theater's sound system // s/o to CineFamily

WorldForgot

jenkins

this is playing for a week and a half at cinefamily

cinefamily summarizes it like this:

QuoteTake a healthy dose of sexually charged interpersonal drama, mix in some Lovecraft by way of Zulawski's Possession and stew in a broth of Mexican mysticism and you have Amat Escalante's The Untamed. Following up his critical darling Heli, Escalante, a supernova among Mexico City's new wave of rising star directors, has a flawless sense of tone, deftly balancing the light and dark of his character's explosive personal lives with shocking cosmic weirdness, body horror, and graphic sex. In exploring the interplay between machismo, homophobia and closeted homosexuality, as framed in Latin culture, the film becomes both a literal and metaphorical monster movie, its tentacled, pleasure-offering creature a corporeal manifestation of the characters' tortured quest for satisfaction of both body and spirit. More than mere provocation, Escalante's vision is every bit as honest as it is horrifying and beautiful, a bold cinematic voice that is sure to find an international audience.

if Alexandro passes this way perhaps a discussion about the line "a supernova among Mexico City's new wave of rising star directors"

youtube summarizes it like this:

QuoteAlejandra and Angel live with their young sons in Guanajuato, Mexico. Theirs is a tense relationship, with the overly macho Angel exerting physical and psychological control over his family as he attempts to hide the affair he's having with Fabián, Alejandra's brother. Their grim status quo undergoes a world of change when the couple meets a loner named Verónica. She takes them to a cabin in the woods and shows them her secret — something that is a source of pleasure as well as a force of destruction. Clearly, nothing will ever be the same again.

Hypnotic, perturbing, and utterly enthralling, The Untamed is a bold portrayal of a chauvinistic society characterized by homophobia and misogyny. Trapped in a violent and unsatisfying relationship, Alejandra is desperate to flee but too afraid. With Verónica's help, however, she taps into an inner strength she didn't know she had. Escalante overlays this family drama and social commentary with truly bizarre elements of science fiction and horror, expertly bending genres to create a wholly unique and mind-blowing piece.

Expertly shot and methodically paced, The Untamed explores the human psyche: the reptile brain, our primal desires, and our unfortunate predilection for selfdestruction. It also offers a liberating vision of female autonomy. Sensual, erotic, and uncompromisingly weird, The Untamed will be difficult to forget.

Dir. Amat Escalante, 2016, DCP, 100 min.

matt35mm

I believe justwithnail recommended this to me. I have a ticket for tonight.

jenkins

A trailer for Eli Roth's remake of Death Wish

i have a nerd friend who's seen this movie. he called it his favorite Eli Roth film, since Roth walked into this movie as a director for hire. my friend said this movie is okay and he didn't have much to say, we didn't talk about it for long.

RegularKarate

What is wrong with everybody involved in that remake? A "white savior" running around in a fucking hoodie blowing away criminals in a poorly thought-out "Stand-your-ground" defense? And he's supposed to be the good guy?

I know that by today's standard, Death Wish is a problematic movie, but this is crazy.

jenkins

it's so unlikely that i'll drive downtown to see it, but that's my bad. Hong Sangsoo means to me what Baumbach and Woody Allen mean to others.

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.