Potential... but no...

Started by SoNowThen, January 08, 2004, 04:27:19 PM

A Fire Inside

Quote from: petethe tim burton batman movies
LOL Did u hear what Burton's reply was when Kevin Smith jokingly accused him of stealing the ending of Planet of the Apes from one of his comics?  Tim replied with "Anyone who knows me knows I would never read a comic book"

Quote from: peteStripetease
Demi shoulda shown a lot more
LOL Agreed
If life gives you babies, make baby-aid

mutinyco

>>Red Dawn, interesting idea, poor execution.

Wolverines!
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Pas

Quote from: A Fire Inside
Quote from: petethe tim burton batman movies
LOL Did u hear what Burton's reply was when Kevin Smith jokingly accused him of stealing the ending of Planet of the Apes from one of his comics?  Tim replied with "Anyone who knows me knows I would never read a comic book"

Hahaha nice quote

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

Quote from: Gambloren das Manhören
Quote from: pete
lost in translation
way too many punchlines on the expenses of them Japanese folks

That's like saying Stuck on You has too many jokes at the expense of conjoined twins. It's not laughing at them, it's laughing at what sort of living conditions come about from its presence.

did you just compare being Japanese to being born of physical deformity?  even if you did, stuck on you's heroes are conjoined, you see it from their point of view.  lost in translation: white american's p.o.v.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

pete

Quote from: themodernage02
oh no he didnt.  i actually kind of fondly appreciate that the action is still kind of clunky and almost 'old school'.  watching how tame the action sequences are in the film are a reminder of simpler days.  you could never get away with something like that today for a big summer blockbuster.  but all the exciting scenes have a sort of older movie feel right before the complete switch into SUPERACTION that swept the 90s.

the simpler days from which era?  douglas fairbanks' swashbucklers?  buster keaton's stunts?  bruce lee's fight scenes?  pekingpah's gun fights?  the explosions in die hard?  indiana jones maybe?

I don't think batman went out of its way to make the action sequences tamer, it just focused a bit too much on the background and sets.  I don't think dark city or the crow were too incredibly well-choreographed either, they just had more excitement in them.  batman's not just a crimestopper, he's a crimefighter.
Secondly, I bet had Tim Burton shot those scenes and made those scenes more fun, nobody would be here complaining right now or missing "the old days".  The Batman and Robin animations were exciting.  The comics were exciting.  No reason why Michael Keaton should be fighting like Adam West.

oh oh oh more movies to the potential but no list:
conspiracy theory
story seems quirky and cool, the huge budget, cast, helicopters and FBI guys on motorcycles just killed it

what dreams may come/ pleasantville
both looked great but both kinda had hots for shallow symbols and philosophy and stuff
- Buster Keaton

pookiethecat

Quote from: themodernage02Bringing Out The Dead

there were a few scnees in that movie that just pummelled me...but it added up to the most unsatisfying, uneven bigger picture.
i wanna lick 'em.

modage

Once Upon A Time In America

i detest this film.  what a blunder.  how do you take a Sergio Leone epic tale about the mob with Deniro in the lead and make this piece of crap?  if it had lived up to its potential it would be mentioned in the same breath as the Godfather or his westerns but the first time i'd ever heard of it was when it was being released on dvd.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

well, what version did you see of the film? no wait, erase that,  of  course you saw the long version. ahmm, what's not to like about this film?   great cast , great director, great story , great photography...   wait, that was the point of this thread.

i'll agree with the fact that it will rarely be mentioned as Leone's best work .
context, context, context.

MacGuffin

Quote from: petepleasantville

Quote from: themodernage02
oh no he didnt.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: chuckhimselfowell, what version did you see of the film?
the dvd with the completely unneccesary and appauling previously edited out rape scene.

cine

Quote from: chuckhimselfowhat's not to like about this film?   great cast , great director, great story , great photography...   wait, that was the point of this thread.
no idea.
yeah
oh yeah.
you know it.
hell yeah.
what was the point of putting *this movie* in this thread? That, I don't know.

modage

Quote from: petethe simpler days from which era?
the late eighties.  watch the blockbuster movies towards the end of the eighties like Batman or Indiana Jones or Dick Tracy and then watch something from a few years after that like Terminator 2 or True Lies or whatever and there's a huge difference in what was considered 'exciting' and acceptable for an 'action adventure film'. action movies just ballooned and ballooned until now, we're at a point where technology has caught up and pretty much anything you can imagine you can put on screen.  you arent bound by the limitations of technology like you were a decade or so ago. and i dont think batman needs to be a superaction movie.  the characters are allowed to develop without shoving in mindless action every few scenes so we dont get antsy.

Quote from: peteSecondly, I bet had Tim Burton shot those scenes and made those scenes more fun, nobody would be here complaining right now or missing "the old days".  The Batman and Robin animations were exciting.  The comics were exciting.  No reason why Michael Keaton should be fighting like Adam West
like i said, batman didnt need to be a superaction film and i dont think he fought like Adam west at all. the animated series came out after the second film, the comics dont need more money to put in more action, and the film probably had as much excitement as technology of the time would allow.

Quote from: Cinephilewhat was the point of putting *this movie* in this thread? That, I don't know.
Onceuponatimeinamerica was terrible; pointless, badly acted, and one of the worst movies i saw last year.

pete

no way the action scenes in batman were half as cool as indiana jones.  indy had a real sense of wit in the chase scenes that batman just didn't have.  it wasn't that batman didn't try--he was flying, fought knife jugglers and kungfu dudes, had his car and his gadgets, and ended with like a pretty lengthy fight scene, they were just boring.
I'm not saying its sequels are better, they're not.
- Buster Keaton

modage

well they werent the greatest action scenes, but 1. tim burton had never directed action before. and 2. moving at all (even turning your head) in the batsuit proved to be a huge problem due to its design not being very functional.  

still, look at what we have today in Matrix Reloaded, Bad Boys 2, Charlies Angels: Full Throttle.  technology allows the imagination to create whatever it wants without worry of how or if it can be accomplished.  all i'm saying is that, although at the time of its release it didnt seem 'old fashioned' to me, upon rewatching it recently, and the Indie movies, made me realize how vastly different the action adventure films of today are from those of just a decade ago.