Clerks II

Started by Myxo, August 28, 2004, 02:27:00 AM

Ravi

I thought he said he was done with Jay and Silent Bob?  I was hoping he'd do something interesting after JSBSB but he does an average rom-com (which I liked, but wouldn't watch again) and a Clerks sequel?

Maybe the entire thing will have a Kevin Smith Peekaboo.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: modagedon't be embarrassed.  everybody used to like kevin smith.  some people still do.

Chasing Amy is a fine work, but I'm so glad I never grew up to his films. Tarantino as well.

Also, thanks to JB. His criticism of Clerks is the one I've been trying to articulate forever.

Rudie Obias

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: modagedon't be embarrassed.  everybody used to like kevin smith.  some people still do.

i used to like kevin smith but i also liked eating play-doe.  both are not good for you.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Ravi

Is that Earthquake?

The last Smith film I saw was Clerks, earlier this year.  The only other film of his I'd want to rewatch is Chasing Amy.

Now that I think about it, it might not be such a bad idea to make this movie if Smith has something new to say about the characters, about a decade later.  They're obviously still working crappy jobs, and Dante, if not Randall, will probably be more bitter about his life at this point.  If its more of the same, what's the point?

I saw some of An Evening with Kevin Smith in one of my classes and he was very funny.  I wish he'd put some of that humor into his films.  In hindsight, I too don't really find his films all that funny, except for JSBSB, which was fun for one viewing.

Pozer

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI have a friend who likes Kevin Smith and wants to buy a Ford Focus.
fixed

matt35mm

Quote from: POZER!
Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI have a friend who likes Kevin Smith and wants to buy a Ford Focus.
fixed
Come on... just because he's a pussy doesn't mean he's FIXED.  Show a little sensitivity, bro.

pumba

Look on the bright side, Wanda Sykes in this!

Ravi

Quote from: shnorffLook on the bright side, Wanda Sykes in this!

Passion of the Clerks is no Curb.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

MacGuffin

Tarantino & Rodriguez Peep Clerks 2
Kevin Smith gets filmmakers' opinions.

It appears Clerks 2, for the most part, is in the can – at least the first version of it. That being the case, director Kevin Smith felt it was time to get an outsider's opinion. So, about a week ago, he showed his "follow-up" to his friends Quentin Tarantino (Kill Bill) and Robert Rodriguez (Sin City).

Says Smith, "My whole philosophy is like, we'll keep them in their seats and give them laughs before we put the movie on them. It's trust the movie."

"You have a built-in poignancy to this one that you didn't have in the first one," says Tarantino. "Just the first image of [Dante] coming out of the car to open up the Quick Stop, and you realize he's still there. You chuckle in awe."

What you have to do now is head on over to Clerks2.com. Their new video diary, entitled The Good, the Bad and the Man, catches Smith, Tarantino and Rodriquez right after the screening, offering their opinions. Rodriquez also explains to Smith his process of tightening a film.

Clerks 2: The Passion of the Clerks is expected to hit theaters later this year.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

That video is basically worthless. You've got two guys not really giving any concrete criticisms, just trying to be nice. I mean, maybe it was great, but when Rodriguez says it was great, it doesn't sound genuine. And Tarantino acted like he just Clerks yesterday. I know it was edited for spoilers, but Tarantino seemed to be stuck on the introduction of the film, and only gave one idea for improvement (the dumb title card gag).
WWPTAD?

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer