BADLANDS/DAYS OF HEAVEN/THE THIN RED LINE

Started by NEON MERCURY, August 28, 2005, 09:27:26 PM

socketlevel

So one afternoon I met up with a bunch of my film friends and we got to talking about Terry. How his films often change so much in the editing room. What started off as a serious conversation about the freedom and balls it takes to explore your creative side with so much money on the line, turned into a jokefest about Terry's directing style. We were hung over from the night before. Maybe even still a little drunk. But we just got silly with it. Soon the jokes led to us promoting the fact that he was on set directing from a unicycle, spinning plates. Much laughter ensued.

Bored at work today i made this for those friends, i posted it on Facebook and I thought of you guys; maybe one or two of you will get a chuckle.

I know he's bigger than he should be, and probably in focus more than the lens would allow, but it played funnier this way.
the one last hit that spent you...

Pas

Must be nice to have smart friends like that. That you can joke around about Malick with. Mine mostly are stupid assholes but I still like them I guess.

john

Unless, of course, your friends actually refer to Malick in casual conversation as "Terry". That shit would get on my fucking nerves.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

socketlevel

Maybe it was the delivery leading up to the pic?

Alexandro

it's one of those things that you have to live through to understand how funny it was in the first time.

socketlevel

ya for sure, but the thought of him riding a unicycle and spinning plates still makes me smile regardless.

picolas

holy crap, footage of malick calling ACTION on thin red line:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uqMPOzXqLs&t=2m25s

where is the rest of this footage i wonder..

ps. make your own malick soundboard by hitting 7 repeatedly on your keyboard.

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Pubrick

Yes that was a great find. thanks pic.

nolte's massive pause when he's asked whether malick would turn up to the oscars if he's nominated is very interesting.. why would he take so long to answer that? it's obvious to him that malick would NOT turn up, and i think that was going to be his initial answer, but because this was a year where he (Nolte) was making all the right moves, getting huge praise for Affliction, he played the conservative answer of "yeah.. yeah.. that's my guess".

why wouldn't he just tell it like it is? if he'd said no he would have been playing into the hermitic insinuation present in the question, and he might have inadvertently proliferated bad press about terry and had to have gone on the defensive to justify why the dude doesn't have to turn up. so yeah, that was a very long pause to arrive at the shortest answer which was obviously wrong.
under the paving stones.

72teeth

were you a psyche major, P? Or a poker player?
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

picolas

yeah that's really good analysis of a long pause. i like to think he was also wishing really hard.

socketlevel

I bet it was also so malick would get the nod too, if he says "no way. it's not his style" than maybe the academy might snub him.

Just Withnail

He's got Malick in an earpiece telling him exactly what to say. That pause was him listening to Malick rant about how he'd "kick his fucking ass" if he as much as hinted at agreeing with the "reclusive artist"-bit. Everything must seem normal.

Because the reason Malick never shows his face is because he sits at home at his giant control center, whispering in the ears of all his actors and crew members, at all times, threatening them. They must never reveal the secret of how he really works: that he yells "action" like a boss and kicks ass twenty-four seven.

Sleepless

Quote from: Just Withnail on May 31, 2011, 05:32:44 AM
He's got Malick in an earpiece telling him exactly what to say. That pause was him listening to Malick rant about how he'd "kick his fucking ass" if he as much as hinted at agreeing with the "reclusive artist"-bit. Everything must seem normal.

Because the reason Malick never shows his face is because he sits at home at his giant control center, whispering in the ears of all his actors and crew members, at all times, threatening them. They must never reveal the secret of how he really works: that he yells "action" like a boss and kicks ass twenty-four seven.

See:
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

theyarelegion

check out this great piece featured in GQ chronicling the making of Badlands by the people who helped make it.