Collateral

Started by Myxo, April 21, 2004, 06:36:41 PM

Myxo

This looks like it could be fantastic from what I've read..

http://imdb.com/title/tt0369339/

Director: Michael Mann
Screenplay: Frank Darabont

Stars:
Tom Cruise
Jamie Foxx
Jada Pinkett Smith
Mark Ruffalo

Opens 8/6/2004.

Plot Outline: A cab driver finds himself the hostage of an engaging contract killer as he makes his rounds from hit to hit during one night in LA. He must find a way to save both himself and one last victim.

This long-gestating project had everyone from Mimi Leder to Adam Sandler attached at some point, but it was Mann and Cruise who were instrumental in bringing it down from the shelf. Mann's working in his genre, with Cruise playing his first bad guy in quite some time; this combination, stepped up a notch with screenwriter Frank Darabont added to the mix, has led some soothsayers to predict potential Oscar nominations. All three men have been nominated in the past, but none of them have ever won.

meatwad

was this shot on DV? I just saw some clips on Tv and looks like it, but i saw so little it was hard to tell. Does anybody have any information?

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: meatwadwas this shot on DV? I just saw some clips on Tv and looks like it, but i saw so little it was hard to tell. Does anybody have any information?

Yep.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369339/technical

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Duderino

ooooohhhh, this looks great. august 6th is so far away. and yeah, it was definetely shot DV.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Ghostboy

HD, not DV.  :) I remember Mann talking about how much he loved the format when use used it on Ali; given his documentarian inclinations of late, I'm not surprised at all that he's switched over completely.

It's a neat trailer. Now imagine it with Sandler instead of Foxx.

SiliasRuby

Great Trailer, really looking forward to this
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

SHAFTR

wow, impressed.

I want to also point out that Michael Mann went to school where I currently go to school at.  Yay.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

mutinyco

2 things to note. Mann started off as a documentary filmmaker in Europe, so that's already in him. Second, he executive produced Baadassss!, which was shot digitally as well. It all comes together...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SiliasRuby

Quote from: mutinycoIt all comes together...
Come Together Right Now...Over Mann. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

godardian

I haven't loved everything Mann has been involved in, but I do think he's worthy of respect, and I look forward to seeing this one.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

jasper_window

Quote from: godardianI haven't loved everything Mann has been involved in, but I do think he's worthy of respect, and I look forward to seeing this one.

Because I'm such a huge fan of M.M., I'm curious which of his films you liked and which you don't.  (Not trying to start shit, just geniunely curious)  

And even though I could name plenty of other actors I would've liked to see play Jamie Foxx's role- Benicio, Billy Crudup, Sandler might of been cool - it's at the top of my list for the summer.

oakmanc234

Finally a summer flick that I'm REALLY hanging for. I reckon Sandler wudda fitted the timid cabbie role like a glove but the films looking sooo cool that I couldn't care less who plays it. Lookin forward to seeing Cruise play nasty.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

SHAFTR

I don't understand the hate for Jamie Fox.  Judging by the trailer (and that's all I really have to judge) he seems to do just fine.  I'm not so sure about Sandler, lets face it...he's only shown the ability to act once.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Ghostboy

I'm all about Jamie Foxx. He was great in Any Given Sunday, even better in Ali, and I hear he was really good in that TV movie he was in recently about the guy on death row who writes children's books. I hope Collateral (and his upcoming Ray Charles biopic) will push him into territory far beyond stuff like 'Breakin All the Rules.'