It Might Get Loud

Started by Neil, January 06, 2010, 10:03:23 AM

Neil

I just rented this the other day, very solid documentary. Jack white proves how fucking awesome he is, and Jimmy Page remains one of the most badass men ever. 

Nearly every time I ask someone if they like U2 they have something to either say about Bono himself, and how much they hate him, which I never understood, and if the person doesn't take that road they make a comment about "the edge."  In the film, Edge comes off as a douche sometimes, but he's cool, he just takes himself super serious, and i'm not one to make fun of that.

I loved the idea of this film before I saw it, and I probably would have liked it no matter what.  I love the guitar, and these 3 guys come from completely different places in the guitar realm.  I think that's why i liked it so much.

Lastly, i was interested in how the 3 would jam, because sometime when jamming with people who you've never played with CAN be difficult.  It was cool to see each of them show one of their songs;  The 3 jam Kashmir, Seven Nation Army (deleted scenes), dead leaves in the dirty ground, and a U2 song which is slipping my mind.

Page asks the edge "Are you sure about the C in there" and Edge smirks.  Awesome moment.

Another land mark moment to me was when page started jamming "Ramble On,"  Jack and Edge look to him as if they were children, seeing willy wonka create a wonka bar.  I mean, the smirks they had on their faces as Page cranked the song out on his Overdriven Les Paul were nothing short of ear to ear smirks. they knew they were seeing something awesome, and it's like a tractor beam draws them closer to Page.

Finally, the 3 end the whole film by playing "the weight"  and it's as sloppy as anyone doing an impromptu version, but these dudes still kill it, because they mean it.

Go watch it.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

I remember hearing about this awhile ago but didn't know if it was ever released. I'm going to go find it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

I've moved on to other music, but I'm still a lifelong U2 fan and someone who never has their older stuff very far away from play on my Ipod. This documentary interested me when I found this nugget in a description piece:

"The Edge takes us to the Dublin classroom where U2 first rehearsed, as well as to the practice room he uses now (never a virtuoso soloist, he developed a style based on texture and a mind-boggling array of effects)"

I think I'll check it out.

Pas

weird that you guys didn't know much about it, it had a huge distribition here in Quebec... probably because Led Zep and U2 are still huuuuuge here. anyway.

It's not that good if you ask me. not much insight or great musical moments. I was disapointed. But none of the 3 players are among my favorites so that doesn't help.

Neil

Quote from: Pas Rap on January 06, 2010, 01:26:42 PM
It's not that good if you ask me. not much insight or great musical moments. I was disapointed. But none of the 3 players are among my favorites so that doesn't help.

The original reason i got interested is because I thought it was just going to be the three of them on the jam set the whole time, I'm not sure why, I guess wishful thinking.  So, I wasn't expecting any back story, so all of those elements were informative for me, hearing the men themselves talk about their pasts,  lives and philosophies. Jack white doing impromptu blues numbers, and edge sifting through all of his effects.

Like I said, it's about the guitar, and great guitar players who i respect greatly, couldn't go wrong for me.

"From the director of An Inconvenient Truth"

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This movie only reinforces how lame the Edge is to me.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

Edge is an awesome guitar player. I don't think he's lame at all.

Sort of off-topic, but I think Jack White may be in my top 5 favorite songwriters of the decade. He doesn't get enough love for his songwriting.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Neil

I have been searching for the answer to this question since i saw the film.

Who is the two man band that jack white references?  Does anyone remember their name?