HBO's Entourage makes me cream my pants...

Started by GodDamnImDaMan, July 19, 2005, 02:15:56 PM

Kal

I used to LOVE her and I wanted to see her in the show... but it wasnt so cool... we'll see in other episodes how she does.

However, it was kinda bullshit because they were saying that they had the relationship 5 years ago. She said she was 20. She is 22 or 23 now so thats not possible. Also, 5 years ago she wasnt even doing movies. I met her in the Keys when she was working for MTV. Also met her mom. I think that was in 2001 and she was 18 at the most.

Stefen

Mandy Moore is on it? Dude, im IN! Mandy Moore is awesome. I'm dead serious, she is just as cute as a button and sweet as a tart. I can't hate on her. Shes just too adorable.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: StefenMandy Moore is on it? Dude, im IN! Mandy Moore is awesome. I'm dead serious, she is just as cute as a button and sweet as a tart. I can't hate on her. Shes just too adorable.

...she is creamaliscious!

Pubrick

Quote from: StefenMandy Moore is on it? Dude, im IN! Mandy Moore is awesome. I'm dead serious, she is just as cute as a button and sweet as a tart. I can't hate on her. Shes just too adorable.
indeed. this thread might actually live up to its name.
under the paving stones.

GodDamnImDaMan

Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

Pwaybloe

So do you own "creaminyourjeans.com" ?

GodDamnImDaMan

grand theft sparrow

This last episode...

"Mandy Moore is Aquaman's Kryptonite."

"It's like Far Rockaway without the crack whores!"

Brilliant!

modage

EW made the comparison that this show is like Sex and the City for men.  thoughts (for those who watch the show)?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Slick Shoes

there are some similarities, but i never really saw it like that.

what do you think, god damn?

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: modageEW made the comparison that this show is like Sex and the City for men.  thoughts (for those who watch the show)?

I can agree with that, more or less.  My girlfriend condescendingly refers to Entourage as a "guy's show," even though she usually likes the sort of humor that the show offers.  She used to watch it but she's soured on it the last couple of episodes, which I think are the best ones yet.

GodDamnImDaMan

Quote from: Slick Shoesthere are some similarities, but i never really saw it like that.

what do you think, god damn?

I've been saying that since day one, ya fucks!

RegularKarate

Makes sense, Sex and the City sucked too.

killafilm

QuoteDAVID HOCHMAN
Published: August 16, 2005

LOS ANGELES, Aug. 14 - Rehashing box office grosses is so 2004. This summer, the hot subject at talent agencies and power breakfasts here has been the HBO series "Entourage."

" 'Did you hear what Ari said?' is now a regular feature of our Monday staff meetings," said Jeremy Zimmer, a founding partner at United Talent Agency. He was referring to Ari Gold, the show's insufferable talent agent, played by Jeremy Piven in an expensive Caesar haircut. Meanwhile, at International Creative Management, the agent Brian Sher said he got huge laughs by announcing at a staff meeting that the priority project at Warner Brothers this fall would be "Aquaman." That's the show's fictional underwater action movie starring the groovy pop idol of "Entourage," Vincent Chase (Adrien Grenier), and directed by James Cameron (the actual director of "Titanic" and "Terminator 2" fame, playing himself).

"Even the most senior agents got the joke," Mr. Sher said. " 'Entourage' has become part of the fabric of what we do."

In its sophomore season, the fizzy, insidery comedy about Vince and his "entourage" from Queens trying to make it in Hollywood has hit its stride, much the way "Sex and the City," the previous HBO sensation about four friends in search of fabulousness, free stuff and booty, did in season two. The Aug. 7 episode was the most-watched show in the series's history, according to Nielsen Media Research.

"I can tell something clicked because people are constantly e-mailing and calling and saying they want to do the show," said Doug Ellin, the show's creator and head writer. "But it wasn't like we consciously went out and said, 'This is gonna be our big year.' "

Yet, almost everything about "Entourage" is bigger this season: the budget is substantially higher, the writing staff has roughly doubled, its guest stars - including U2 and Mr. Cameron, who has a recurring role - are more impressive, and its plot lines more ambitious. Whereas the original eight episodes depicted its young characters as grateful for small breaks in indie films, by now Vince and his posse are grappling with a level of glitzy good times worthy of Us Weekly.

"We didn't truly know the show or these characters last year," said Rob Weiss, a co-producer and one of series's original writers.

Mr. Weiss's own Hollywood experience has provided ample fodder for the series. After making a big splash at the Sundance Film Festival in 1993 with "Amongst Friends," which he wrote and directed, he got a three-picture deal at Universal Pictures and dated celebrities like the actress Shannen Doherty, only to watch his career fizzle. "Hollywood success is a seesaw ride," Mr. Weiss said in an interview, "and it takes a while to figure out where you're going, which was true for our characters, too."

Each of the show's main players has "more to do" this season, said Mr. Ellin, who writes most of the episodes. Vince is adjusting to A-list stardom while wrestling with complicated feelings for his "Aquaman" costar, Mandy Moore. His manager, Eric (Kevin Connolly), is making the move from lackey to power broker. Ari gets to prove he's actually human, more or less, by opening the doors on his home life (though it's tough to feel compassion for a guy who chooses his star client over Grandpa to cut the challah at his daughter's bat mitzvah). Even Vince's half brother, Johnny Drama (Kevin Dillon), and his friend Turtle (Jerry Ferrara), who round out his "entourage," are reckoning with who they really are. Johnny, for instance, realized calf implants wouldn't make him manlier after all.

"The show has always been about the shallow moment-by-moment existence of life in the business," Mr. Ellin said, whether that entails deciding which plasma screen to buy or supermodel to date. "But we keep discovering subtleties, like, in Hollywood, even a guy who makes $5 million is constantly insecure and struggling."

One obvious change this season is that HBO hired new writers, including Chris Henchy and Brian Burns, both of whom are well situated to write about being on the periphery of fame. Mr. Henchy is married to Brooke Shields, and Mr. Burns is the brother of the director Ed Burns. They are also primarily known as television writers, whereas Mr. Ellin and Mr. Weiss have written mostly screenplays. The former Seinfeld writer Larry Charles is also on board. That may be one reason the series's episodes are now developing along a more traditional season-long trajectory: Vince gets "Aquaman," Vince loses "Aquaman," Vince gets "Aquaman" as long as he doesn't mess things up with Mandy.

The flashier locations also help. This season, with its higher production budget, "Entourage" shot scenes during the Sundance Festival, at a live U2 concert and courtside during a real Lakers game. This last setting provided a delicious meta-"Entourage" moment. The show's five stars sat in the $2,000 seats normally reserved for Ari Emanuel, the real-life Hollywood talent agent who is the model for Mr. Piven's character.

"We keep pushing these guys into situations and opportunities they'd really be in if they were living this life," Mr. Weiss said.

In a weird way, though perhaps not surprisingly, the show's increasing popularity is giving its stars more opportunities to live like the characters they play.

"I was at a party in the Hamptons this weekend with some buddies I grew up with," said Mr. Connolly, an actor who had always been the lesser light among his close friends Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire. "All of a sudden, they part the way for us to get in and it's, like, 'What can we do for you?' So, yeah, I guess the show is definitely registering."

Kal

Thats a great article. I'm very happy about this show. I think its great and the people behind it are really trying to make it good instead of just writing predictable and stupid stories and dialogue.

It sucks that the season is almost over, and HBO takes forever to go from one season to another... especially when people like a show!