Rush Hour 3

Started by MacGuffin, November 21, 2005, 05:10:31 PM

Fernando

MacGuffin

Rush Hour 3
Source: Entertainment Weekly

Chris Tucker's eyes pop as ornate wooden doors swing open on the set of Rush Hour 3. He and Jackie Chan are led into a lavish Parisian party filled with gorgeous, exquisitely dressed women. Unfortunately, the ballroom is actually deep in the bowels of a dilapidated Los Angeles theater, the flutes are filled with fake champagne, and this is the 37th time the duo has made this entrance today. ''We don't always do 37 takes,'' says director Brett Ratner. ''With Chris, the first 10 were just him feeling it. At the end when he started going 'Ooh la la!' — he started really feeling it.''

It's November, barely the film's second month of shooting, and it's understandable that the cast would still be warming up. The last time the director brought Tucker and Chan together as bumbling, backflipping buddy cops Lee and Carter was six years ago. Rush Hour 2, like the first, was a rollicking success, hauling in nearly $350 million worldwide. Box office bonanza aside, it started to look like Rush Hour 3 would not happen. Someone was dragging his feet. ''Chris isn't in a rush,'' chuckles Ratner. ''So, Jackie goes off and does his movies. I go off and do X-Men 3. [Chris] hasn't worked in five years.'' Whispers circulated that Tucker, who earned a staggering $20 million for Rush Hour 2, was holding out for more money this time around — which he denies.

''It wasn't me,'' insists the comedian. ''It was finding the script. [New Line was] saying, 'We'll get you a script. Just sign on.' I usually don't do that. That was the big holdup. I need to see a script.'' Nevertheless, Tucker eventually relented, and a script was written that involved Lee and Carter trailing a list of Chinese gangsters through Paris. Ratner and Co. shot on location for about a month, so if you're aching for scissor kicks on the Eiffel Tower, you got 'em. Speaking of landmarks, Chan, who earned less up front than Tucker for his chopsocky contributions to Rush Hour 2, will be getting a healthy portion of Rush Hour 3's distribution rights in China. ''I like to bet,'' says Chan. ''Maybe, at the end, I'll [make more] than Chris.'' Guess Tucker's not the only one feelin' it now.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: August 10th, 2007 (wide)

Starring: Jackie Chan, Chris Tucker, Max von Sydow, Noemie Lenoir, Hiroyuki Sanada 

Directed by: Brett Ratner 

Premise: LAPD detective James Carter and Chinese Chief Inspector Lee travel to Paris to battle a wing of the Chinese organized crime family, the Triads
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 01, 2007, 05:42:13 PM
Speaking of landmarks, Chan, who earned less up front than Tucker for his chopsocky contributions to Rush Hour 2, will be getting a healthy portion of Rush Hour 3's distribution rights in China. ''I like to bet,'' says Chan. ''Maybe, at the end, I'll [make more] than Chris.'' Guess Tucker's not the only one feelin' it now.

but Chan was a producer so he got a percentage of the gross, which would put him way ahead of tucker right?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

Quote from: pete on May 03, 2007, 02:15:06 AM
but Chan was a producer so he got a percentage of the gross, which would put him way ahead of tucker right?

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 01, 2007, 05:42:13 PM
"I like to bet," says Chan.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Because I bought The Squid And The Whale: The Shooting Script, Amazon thought I would like this recommendation:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1557047839/ref=pe_pe_5050_6042200_pe_snp_839

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

I have that one autographed by Ratner... it rocks

MacGuffin

China's censors ban 'Rush Hour 3'
Film Bureau claims commercial reasons
Source: Variety

China's censors have banned the slapstick "Rush Hour 3" from theatrical release in China.

Given the popularity of pic's star, Jackie Chan, on the mainland, it is a shock decision and follows weeks of speculation that the pic was proving politically contentious.

The powerful state-run Film Bureau told Daily Variety that it had withheld permission for commercial reasons -- a surprising justification given the first two installments of the franchise did boffo B.O. in China.

"We think it will not be popular in China," Xiao Ping, a VP at China Film Group's import and export arm, said Thursday.

However, many believe that censors object to a scene featuring a Chinese organized crime family that Chan and Chris Tucker's characters take on during a visit to Paris.

The issue of organized crime is politically sensitive in China these days, as greater economic openness has been accompanied by the emergence of Triad-style gangs in big cities.

"Rush Hour 3" also faced tough competition for an import slot. China allows only 20 foreign films to be imported per year and given a full "revenue sharing'" release.

The pic's Chinese rights holder, Edko Films, was not available for comment on Thursday.

Edko topper, Bill Kong previously told Daily Variety: "The problem is not the Film Bureau, it is (state-run distributor) China Film. The schedule is very congested and American films are doing very well around the world this year."

"Rush Hour 3" preemed in Los Angeles on Tuesday at Grauman's Chinese Theater and goes on commercial release in North America on Aug 10. Film will be distributed in Hong Kong on Aug. 16 through Celestial Pictures.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

I wish they would ban the movie here...

Kal

Ok I know everyone will laugh at me... and this time there is nothing I can say...

I just got invited (and probably will go) to a Rush Hour 3 premiere and party in Miami this week with Ratner in attendance. This girl I'm going out with really wants to go and the Florida Film Commissioner (who works with me) will also be there and asked me to attend. So there you have it, after all, I will watch this goddamn movie before everyone else and with Ratner himself.

If anybody wants to send me love letter for me to give him, dont hesitate!

pete

premiere?  I thought that was a few weeks ago.
I'm taking my kids and their families to see it on monday at one of those sneak previews.  no ratner though.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Kal

I guess its the Miami Premiere? I dont know... but he is there and I think some of the cast and other important Hollywood assholes.

Should be fun...

©brad

A Matter Of Chance

I know this kid who is a real asshole and works at a crappy theater. Last night he arranged for a private screening of Rush Hour 3 at midnight for himself and some cronies. A friend of mine went and when he told me I busted my nuts.

Kal

So I went to this thing... it was fun... lots of assholes, pretty girls and celebs...

The best thing was that not only RATNER was there... but also... chan chan... Michael Bay!

It would have been a bomber-filmmakers dream to actually take them out both with one shot.