This is not an EXIT...American Psycho

Started by NEON MERCURY, January 29, 2004, 01:12:31 PM

NEON MERCURY

..well.....after finally finishing the book ....and  loving this film i wanted others opinions, thoughts, smartass comments, loathings, witty annecdotes....on this film....

i think the book was better ..but the film is definately in my top 50...of all time.....

SPOILERS for the film and book

..in the film the ending seems to convey....maybe patrick was just "psycho" and only drawn out or thought about his evil edeeds rather then doing it.....
...i am guessing this b/c hie supposedly axes paul owen but later in the film batemans' lawyer tells him that he had dinner w/ owen in London.....so whats the deal?

....i was hoping the book would clarify this but its just as vague....b/c when bateman goes back to owens aprtment ....there is nno evidencde of murder.....just a realator and a couple seeing the apartment for sale.....

so did he or didn't he?........or is the film suppose to be one of those...."for your interpretation only".....

one thing though...in the book i really liked the opening line about abandone all ye faith .....and then the last line this is not an exi........in the film is this conveyed in any way..........????????

snaporaz

i agree about the first and last lines of the book, plus the quotes by dostoevsky and the talking heads in the beginning. very cool.

but yeah, it's supposed to be "for your interpretation only". it really bugs me when i hear people say "nah, dude. he really was murdering people" or "see bro, it was all in his head blah blah blah". it bugs me because there is no evidence in the book that anything certain ever happened. i mean, of course you can come to your own conclusion, but it's ridiculous for anyone to try to confirm whatever did or did not happen for you.

personally, i believe it was his imagination.  :wink:

oh yeah, the first line is "abandon all hope ye who enter here", which is supposed to be what is written on the gates to hell in dante's inferno. i've never read it, but that's what i hear.

Pwaybloe

Ummm... I think we've talked about this somewhere around here...

SPOILERS

But, the book is ambiguous whether it was reality or not, but the fact remains true in all his books.  That's what I like about them.

But, the movie is not as good as the book, and the book is just ok anyway.  It's the weakest of all his novels.

snaporaz

Quote from: Pawbloethe book is just ok anyway.  It's the weakest of all his novels.

why do you say that?

Pwaybloe

Quote from: snaporazwhy do you say that?

Y?  Because we like you.  M-O-U-S-EEEEEEEEEEE...

Finn

I saw only bits and pieces. You get it?
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

©brad

oh i get it.

the film is an excellent adaptation of a complex, dense novel, and by dense i mean heavy. (atleast my copy was)

snaporaz

Quote from: Pawbloe
Quote from: snaporazwhy do you say that?

Y?  Because we like you.  M-O-U-S-EEEEEEEEEEE...

seriously.

SHAFTR

I took it as it was in his imagination.

Either way you put it, I look at the flim as mediocre.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Chest Rockwell

I liked it....certainly not a GREAT film by any means....but I enjoyed it and liked the ambiguous ending (never read the book).

godardian

This movie was in my top ten of 1999. I loved that it was such a complete co-optation of the book- to my mind, Mary Harron is much more an artist than Bret Easton Ellis, even though he does get a coupla points for the Smiths references and his belatedly acknowledged homosexuality. But sorry, Bret, too late to be my hero; you shoulda come out when I was like, 12, the age at which I was still desperate enough for role models and interested enough in reading your trendy yet rather shallow novels.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

lamas

anyone ever read Oliver Stone's screenplay?  I heard he was still planning on making it sometime.

nix

I tend to lean toward the "it was all in his head" theory but it really could go either way.

Yes his lawyer claimed to have had dinner with owen, but everyone in the movie (and book) except Bateman get everyone else mixed up with other people. So there's evidence to support both theories.

I loved the film when I first saw it. I saw it again very soon after and I think I laughed more the second time around. I have yet to revisit it on dvd, but every time I see it I contemplate buying.

I was under the impression that this film came out in 2000. Am I wrong?
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

NEON MERCURY

....well...glad to se fans of this film here.....i though for one thing it was perfectly cast...while reading the book i could hear bale saying those words....
...i thought that his perfformance wads oscar worthy ......that cast is great

bale, lucas, (yes even witherspoon), defoe, theroux, chloe, and stash.8)

....for the ones who thought this film sucked....why?......and plaese donn;t say because of the editing.....

Stefen

Bale ownz this movie. I need to watch this movie again. Ellis books need to be made into more movies. Rules Of Attraction was okay I guess, but could have been better by far. A new Ellis needs to come around. The 80's wer bogus.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.