This Is 40

Started by MacGuffin, April 27, 2012, 04:26:14 PM

MacGuffin

Release date: December 21, 2012

Starring: Paul Rudd, Leslie Mann, Jason Segel, Melissa McCarthy, Lena Dunham, Megan Fox, Charlyne Yi, Albert Brooks, John Lithgow

Directed by: Judd Apatow

Premise: A look at the lives of Pete and Debbie a few years after the events of Knocked Up.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

This Is A Bad Title

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

InTylerWeTrust

Fuck... Why they had to use George Harrison's "What is a life" in the trailer?

Can't listen to that song without thinking of GOODFELLAS.

I usually like Judd's movies, sometimes is good to lay back from all that European art shit and watch comedies like this. But I feel there's something missing in this one. Now if Steve Carrell was in it, this would be a horse of a different color.
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

Reel

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 07, 2012, 07:35:55 PM
Why they had to use George Harrison's "What is a life" in the trailer?

I usually like Jude's movies, But I feel there's something missing in this one.

Hey Jude, don't make this ( is 40 ) bad..

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: Reelist on August 07, 2012, 07:42:20 PM
Why they had to use George Harrison's "What is a life" in the trailer?

I usually like Jude's movies, But I feel there's something missing in this one.

Hey Jude, don't make this ( is 40 ) bad..

Well played, sir... Well played.
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

Brando

They have an in-ground trampoline. How can you bitch about your life when you have an in-ground trampoline?
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

©brad

Quote from: Brando on August 07, 2012, 08:54:55 PM
They have an in-ground trampoline. How can you bitch about your life when you have an in-ground trampoline?

This was the kicker for me:

"It doesn't seem like our lives should be this much work."

:violin:

Pwaybloe

Quote from: ©brad on August 08, 2012, 09:51:13 AM
Quote from: Brando on August 07, 2012, 08:54:55 PM

This was the kicker for me:

"It doesn't seem like our lives should be this much work."

:violin:

I've certainly not hit 40 yet, but I see where the movie is going.  When you get to a point in your life where you have worked hard to be financially successful and children tend to take up more of your time, you seem to take your spouse (or significant other) for granted.  It's a continuous struggle to keep the relationship moving forward.  While the movie does seem to portray White People Problems (and I have plenty of them), they are real.  All of the contributors here are from highly developed countries, so we are all going to have "problems" that you may find silly now but apparent in the future.

©brad

But those problems don't necessarily make for compelling drama. Rich white suburbanites are hard to root for is my point.

Ravi

Quote from: ©brad on August 08, 2012, 12:00:02 PM
But those problems don't necessarily make for compelling drama. Rich white suburbanites who look like Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann are hard to root for is my point.

Seriously, though, I can see where you're coming from. But I'm going to accept that these are the trappings of the film, which will likely touch on emotions that are still real and relatable.

polkablues

Nobody's hard to root for if the storytelling is working. "Happiness" gets you rooting for a child molester, for god's sake.
My house, my rules, my coffee

©brad

Quote from: polkablues on August 08, 2012, 12:58:02 PM
Nobody's hard to root for if the storytelling is working. "Happiness" gets you rooting for a child molester, for god's sake.

Obviously but that's an apple to orange comparison. Hearing rich white people in what is essentially a rom-com bemoan about why life is so hard kind of makes my skin crawl. Doesn't mean I can't care about them if the storytelling is working, it just means the storytelling has to work harder to get me there. 

Pwaybloe

Quote from: ©brad on August 08, 2012, 01:36:21 PM
Quote from: polkablues on August 08, 2012, 12:58:02 PM

Obviously but that's an apple to orange comparison. Hearing rich white people in what is essentially a rom-com bemoan about why life is so hard kind of makes my skin crawl. Doesn't mean I can't care about them if the storytelling is working, it just means the storytelling has to work harder to get me there.

Not to invalidate your argument, because you are correct the storytelling needs to work, but I was more referring to where you are in life.  I was where you are now about 7 years ago. 

Neil

There needs to be a thread should called, "white people problems," so we can discuss the real issues.  by the way,   my favorite quote of this year might be this "is [sic] good to lay back from all that European art shit and watch comedies like this."

Thanks intylerwetrust.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.