Zombieland

Started by MacGuffin, June 19, 2009, 11:46:40 AM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release date: October 9, 2009

Starring: Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone, Abigail Breslin

Directed by: Ruben Fleischer

Premise: Columbus (Jesse Eisenberg) has made a habit of running from what scares him. Tallahassee (Woody Harrelson) doesn't have fears. If he did, he'd kick their ever-living ass. In a world overrun by zombies, these two are perfectly evolved survivors. But now, they're about to stare down the most terrifying prospect of all: each other.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

some of this was shot in atlanta and valdosta, and one of my best friends was cast as one of the zombie extras in the amusement park. i will see it just for him and in support of his budding/non-existent career in acting.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

I think zombie movies are just about due for another 20 year sabbatical by now.  In the last few years we've covered serious zombies, funny zombies, slow zombies, fast zombies, zombies as a metaphor for terrorism, zombies as a metaphor for racism, zombies as a metaphor for, uh... butlers, smart zombies, stupid zombies, evil zombies, sympathetic zombies....

Just stop for a while.  That's enough.
My house, my rules, my coffee

polkablues

Yeah, what that guy said.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

I'll quote a reviewer and say, "This is the answer to 'Shawn of the dead'". A extremely fun zombie movie that has a surprising amount of heart and a hell of a lot of giggles. This experience was like having sex with a fiery red head: enjoyable and something you will never forget and will want to have again and again. It gives you hope for the future of zombie films and I'm usually on the fence when it comes to flicks about the un-dead. You don't have to rush out and pay over 10 bucks but its certainly a highly recommended rental.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

modage

I want to see this but... how is this an answer to Shaun of the Dead?  I'm not sure that it needed to be answered.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

picolas

yeah. seems like more of an echo if anything.

SiliasRuby

You are right, its more of an american echo of 'shawn of the dead'.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

tpfkabi

this has a very high critical rating on RT, so i am a little interested now.

i think they have spent a ton of advertising money on this because i have seen tv ads for what seems like months.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Reinhold

I saw this last night and had a lot of fun. I feel like the film loses a bit of momentum-- from the trailer I was hoping for a hundred minutes of comically violent zombie deaths. It does more or less deliver. That being said, the trailer has all of the highlights except for one or two.

It's a funny zombie movie but SotD was much better.

Spoilers
I loved the BM scene... I really liked the person-in-zombie-makeup point of it. If there ever is a zombie apocalypse, I'm headed to his house to try and play GB with him. Other than that, my favorite part were the slow-mo zombie deaths at the beginning. The rules got a little tired after a while. I would have liked to see other rules come up, have it stop at the beginning except for a punchline here or there, or just be contained to the beginning.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

modage

It's pretty hard to ignore the comparisons to Shaun of the Dead, which is unfortunate because that film was so brilliant that it becomes more apparent this film doesn't have much to add.  The opening credits are some of the most inventive and visually stunning I've ever seen (Watchmen titles + zombies + Metallica), but this is unfortunately the highlight of the film.  The script has a some clever ideas, the "rules for survival", for example are cute, but surprisingly for a film called Zombieland the film manages to shortchange the zombies!  The zombie deaths aren't very interesting, no characters are ever put in danger and long stretches of film have no zombies present at all.  When the characters arrive at the mansion 2/3 of the way through, the film begins to sag and never recovers.  The film is fun but slight, especially after wading through the zombie films of the past decade and comparing this to the brilliant Shaun of the Dead.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.