Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

pynchonikon

It's tough to guess the lead because of two reasons
1)will he cast an actor at his twenties (like Wahlberg who was 25 at the the time of the BN filming) or an actual 16-18 years old dude?
2)will he go with a well-known name or a new talk of the town (I doubt but wouldn't be surprised)?
If he wants to bring a 20s guy on board, then I would put Timothee highly on the list, since he still looks well enough for a high schooler, and seems to have free time (the second part of Dune won't be filmed any time very soon). He could also very well take a supporting part (given the ensemble nature of the film), but i would be surprised if he won't make at least an effort to participate in this, considering how much love for PTA he showed last year.
If he wants to make things more natural and proceed with a younger actor, my personal choice would be Jaeden Martell, I think he fits the bill since he actually moved to LA at a young age and participated in lots of commercials as a kid. I could see Elsie Fisher as his romantic interest, too.

jenkins

will the lead be female actually? perhaps a narrative tapestry without a sense of a leader?

Lewton

I actually opened this thread to post something like "I hope he brings David Warshofsky back!" and then I saw Pringle's post, lol.

Quote from: Pringle on November 14, 2019, 04:43:10 PMThe movie is centered around a high school kid and the first Xixax casting suggestions are Mark Rylance, Philip Baker Hall, and a dead-for-five-years Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Within reason, I'd have mentioned Rylance regardless of the genre or the (potentially misleading) synopsis. I think I was even going to mention him way before this news broke, but I ended up focusing on Jesse Plemons or someone else. But like I said in the post, I just think they should work together, whether on this film or another one. Does anyone else here agree that would be fantastic? (Rylance is actually playing "four versions of Satan" in an upcoming Terrence Malick film (!), but I think he already started production on that in October.)

EDIT: Removed the rest of my post because it was kind of annoying me in retrospect lol (simply because it was too rambling and hypothetical and, in parts, tangential to what little we even know about this movie). As fun as it is to guess about who PTA might cast or what this movie will be like, etc., I'm personally just going to wait until there's something more concrete before getting carried away with longwinded "what if?" posts. This is not to say I'm not enjoying some of the input from others, though, since some good points have been raised... so, needless to say, please carry on.

ForTheHungryBoy

Lewton

A lot of the examples in my last post can be placed into a category of younger TV or film performances. So some of those are only tangentially or broadly relevant to this topic, if at all. I guess I just haven't seen many examples of films with actual high school aged actors.

Haven't even seen Dazed & Confused or Booksmart or Lady Bird, if those are even applicable in that way? I mean, Saoirse Ronan is now 25 and Chalamet is 23. What's a recent-ish (and good) high school movie where one of the main actors matched--either exactly or approximately--the age of the characters?

Jena Malone in Donnie Darko is all that's coming to mind right now and that's not at all recent.

jviness02

Quote from: Pringle on November 14, 2019, 04:43:10 PM
The movie is centered around a high school kid and the first Xixax casting suggestions are Mark Rylance, Philip Baker Hall, and a dead-for-five-years Philip Seymour Hoffman.

I don't know why this was so funny to me, but I literally did a spit take.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Good old fashioned fun. This is like the first few moments of charades -- PTA just moves his hand counter-clockwise and everyone starts shouting out the first thing that pops into their heads.  Its...an important part of the process.

Personally my fave is the Vince Froio part of the cycle, I can't wait til next spring.

Lewton

My hope is that my ramblings will be somewhat vindicated when Mark Rylance is cast as the school principal or something.

ForTheHungryBoy

Quote from: Fuzzy Dunlop on November 15, 2019, 02:47:30 AM
Good old fashioned fun. This is like the first few moments of charades -- PTA just moves his hand counter-clockwise and everyone starts shouting out the first thing that pops into their heads.  Its...an important part of the process.

Personally my fave is the Vince Froio part of the cycle, I can't wait til next spring.

Lol unbelievable

WorldForgot

Quote from: Lewton on November 14, 2019, 10:02:34 PM
What's a recent-ish (and good) high school movie where one of the main actors matched--either exactly or approximately--the age of the characters?

Eighth Grade
(yes, I know, but come on, it's the year before high school so just, yeah, it's good, authentic)

jviness02

Quote from: Lewton on November 15, 2019, 06:33:11 AM
My hope is that my ramblings will be somewhat vindicated when Mark Rylance is cast as the school principal or something.

Mark Rylance is playing the lead student. PTA is making a dramatic version of his boy Sandler's film Billy Madison.

pynchonikon

I was wondering what was the last time an actor had to actually pass from audition in order to get the lead role in one of his films? We know for sure that PDL was written for Sandler, both TWBB and PT were written for DDL, PTA himself has said that he always wanted Joaquin for the role of Freddie (was that the case with Sportello, too? I guess so). So it's been a while, right? Which makes the whole thing even more interesting (and fits with the ensemble-cast rumour).

Pringle

This may be stretching your definition a bit, considering that she's not the main draw of the film, but Vicky Krieps auctioned for Phantom Thread.

Reel

Quote from: Pringle on November 16, 2019, 01:16:19 PM
Vicky Krieps auctioned for Phantom Thread.

Jeez. Rough industry over there in Luxembourg

ForTheHungryBoy

Quote from: Pynchonikos1994 on November 16, 2019, 10:53:35 AM
I was wondering what was the last time an actor had to actually pass from audition in order to get the lead role in one of his films? We know for sure that PDL was written for Sandler, both TWBB and PT were written for DDL, PTA himself has said that he always wanted Joaquin for the role of Freddie (was that the case with Sportello, too? I guess so). So it's been a while, right? Which makes the whole thing even more interesting (and fits with the ensemble-cast rumour).

I recall reading somewhere that Rob Downey Jr was considered first for IV, and JP was a semi fill in