Now Playing

Started by Mesh, May 15, 2003, 05:18:24 PM

wilder

Quote from: Amen Dunes"Miki Dora was arguably the most gifted and innovative surfer of his generation and the foremost opponent of surfing's commercialization. He was also a lifelong criminal and retrograde: a true embodiment of the distorted male psyche. He was a living contradiction; both a symbol of free-living and inspiration, and of the false heroics American culture has always celebrated. With lyrics of regret and redemption at the end of one's youth, the song is about Dora, and myself, but ultimately it is a reflection on all manifestations of mythical heroic maleness and its illusions."

jenkins

"on the rise" you know. signed to Matador, you know.

personally i'm a big fan of how in kid music you have to sound like a kid. Frankie Cosmos is another example. demonstrates that LA has been at this. but another example of a contemporary is Soccer Mommy

and Japanese Breakfast

WorldForgot

Soccer Mommy and JBrekkie are the real deal as far as emo indie acts go, lately. (Mitski, too, but she's not featured above) If yall dig those tracks jenkinz posted, do try to catch them live. They're vulnerable on that stage in an inspiring way.

This band is releasing their debut next month. I've been lucky enough to see them live and hear the two demos that comprise the new tracklist. It's going to be an exemplary record. "Alice" isn't out as a single, but it's track 2 of the LP and has been a go-to track of mine for writing sessions. They make melodic drama you can yell-along to. Very excited for them ~

jenkins

in terms of boy efforts within the emo revival, a.k.a. young people playing emo again, a favorite of mine from the recent batch is this song and it's chorus of "I can't wait to die alone"

it's difficult for me to like the songs that aren't the best, i think the above song and that as an example of the best is a great indication of what i mean, but i'll add that for me the best make it all worth it, and this is pretty much how i've always reacted to this genre.

it's important to me to know there's a kid singing "I can't wait to die alone"

WorldForgot

Quote from: pete on June 24, 2011, 04:49:23 PM
I saw Fiona Apple do an entire set of Buddy Holly and Patsy Cline covers, jazzed up.

What? My goodness, I'm going to have to search for video of this.

WorldForgot

^vibe with that ~ KCSB FM used to run a DIY pop show called 5432...Fun that uncovered a bunch of gems for me in the latest wave of indie emo.

Quote from: WorldForgot on March 25, 2018, 01:16:19 AM
Quote from: pete on June 24, 2011, 04:49:23 PM
I saw Fiona Apple do an entire set of Buddy Holly and Patsy Cline covers, jazzed up.

What? My goodness, I'm going to have to search for video of this.

jenkins

yeah that's great. it's americana, it's diner culture, it's the only part of this country i believe in

Robyn

emo:
the internet is making a big deal out of hobo johnson right now.

also, Alex G is good.

Drenk

Ascension.

Robyn

side note: bob dylan supposedly wrote just like a women about the woman on my avatar. you can read about her here: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/edie-sedgwick-the-it-girl-who-was-inspiration-to-dylan-and-warhol-6109844.html

another famous song he wrote about edie: that rolling stone one. here's warhol with a Siamese cat.

QuoteYou used to ride on a chrome horse with your diplomat
Who carried on his shoulder a Siamese cat

etc

polkablues

Also, Sienna Miller played her in the movie "Factory Girl." It wasn't bad. Guy Pearce was Warhol.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Drenk

This song gets me every time.

I don't belong to anyone.
My heart is heavy as an oil drum.
I don't want to be alone.
My heart is yellow as an ear of corn,
and I have torn my soul apart, from
pulling artlessly with fool commands.

Some nights
I just never go to sleep at all,
and I stand,