what criterion should i buy

Started by Tommy Both, February 21, 2003, 06:47:49 PM

Tommy Both

Ok, so I got cash.... or I mean plastic, wtvr.... it's money alright. Now I wanna get that Criterion Collection - been saving up some dough, and intend on purchasing some DVD's this weekend. So, what Criterions u guys all advise me (or anytone else) to get/order tomorrow, 'cause the first Criterions I got were just those usual suspects - the contemporary musts like Traffic or Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums. Since 2k3, I've put my mind to starting to collect that mindblowing Collection of more than 100 precious jewels and own all of them - (all of them?  ALL of them.) at one time. I started by getting 'otto e mezzo' and 'bob le flambeur' last month, but haven't been able to see both yet - due to school and stuff...blablabla, me is just waiting for my next vacation break that started today , wooopey- so which ones should I buy next?
I was thinking about Down By Law, it blew me away when I rented it last month , bought that fine ass poster today btw. . - or buying Fear and Loathing Las Vegas , 'cause that came out last week and is just a movie I totally digged when I saw it on tape.
So boys and girls here that represent the Criterions supporters, what's a Must and what's NOT? So I won't be buying the few crappy ones they got -can't even imagine that man, I mean, Criterion IS The Best.. right?

-latur

sphinx

Quote from: tommy_bothdigged

dug

now that i've got that straightened out, you're mad to try to obtain the whole criterion collection.

my somewhat contemporary suggestions for immediate purchase

fear and loathing in las vegas
8 1/2
brazil
silence of the lambs

Tommy Both

Quote from: sphinx
Quote from: tommy_bothdigged

dug

wtvr..
I'm foreign- ugly writing is cool  :x

Thanks for the recommendations , guess I'll continue with 'Fear and Loathing' and 'Brazil' , Gilliam is the bomb indeed.

life_boy

Peeping Tom is very good as is 8 1/2.

MacGuffin

Do The Right Thing
RoboCop (OOP, but look on ebay) - Bloodier, unrated cut
Brazil
Last Temptation Of Christ
Passion Of Joan Of Arc

And, of course, any of the Hitchcock titles
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

sphinx

Quote from: mogwaidigged

dug!

wraaaaaaa

Ernie

There are still a lot of criterions that I have been wanting to rent off of netflix so this list is very tentative, these are only the ones that I know of at this point in time.

band of outsiders
do the right thing
fear and loathing in las vegas
george washington
the royal tenenbaums
rushmore
traffic

Dirk

dug!

wraaaaaaa

I think Moggy did that on purpose  :twisted:
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

MacGuffin

dug!

wraaaaaaa

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Tommy Both

dug!

wraaaaaaa

told u it's cool  8)

sphinx

i believe macguffin's post has disproved the use of 'digged'.

Tommy Both

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman:?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=digged

muhahaha

digged

Dig \Dig\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dug or Digged

SubstanceD

You should check out:

8 1/2
Brazil
Dead Ringers
Kwaidan
Man Bites Dog (Highly Reccomended)
In the mood for love
Amarcord

These are all good, everyone disc in the criterion collection is BOMB as FUCK
Stubborn as a thousand born agains avoiding questions.

KingBlackDeath

seriously...how flippin' excited is everyone about The Criterion "by Brakhage" release? I almost bought dog star man on video by itself the other day for $25. Now how about that and 35 others for $30 (on amazon) on dvd! Shit, dawg. I get all shaky thinking about it.
Do you see what happens...when king black death breathes on you with his breath?