Adventures of Antoine Doinel - Is it worth it?

Started by Ernie, April 05, 2003, 01:31:40 PM

Ernie

Alright, I need a little bit of help here concerning criterion's upcoming release: The Adventures of Antoine Doinel box set...containing Truffaut's The 400 Blows, Bed And Board, Love On The Run, and Stolen Kisses...as well as Antoine & Collete, a short film of his (at least I think it's on there somewhere). It's coming out soon.

Anyway, I have a question for you guys. I have only seen The 400 Blows out of all the movies in the box set, I own the mediocre Fox Lorber edition...I resorted to buying it just because I love the movie so much...it's probably one of my top 10 of all time. It's just beautiful. It's the biggest influence on the first feature film I plan to make when I become a filmmaker. So, I always really wanted to buy the criterion edition understandably so. But, as many of you know, it has been out of print for awhile and therefore, very hard to get a hold of for a reasonable price.

So, I was pretty happy to hear that this box set was being released w/ a criterion edition of each movie. Of course, I would have been happier if they had reissued The 400 Blows alone as it would have been a lot easier...but they didn't. So therin lies my question. With my love for The 400 Blows (and two other Truffaut movies: Jules and Jim, Shoot the Piano Player), do you think I would like the other movies in the box set? Do you think I would like them since I like these other Truffaut movies? Do you think I should buy this box set? See, I really don't want to have three movies I hate and one I love in a box set. That wouldn't be good. So, that's why I'm asking.

By the way, please don't tell me to rent them and see for myself. I can't do that, alright. Just please help me out here. I would greatly appreciate it. Just tell me what you think, simple as that. If your wrong, who cares? It's my problem, not yours. I really need some help. Thank you in advance.

cine

the best I can tell you is that if you like Antoine Doinel then you'll love the box set. The other films aren't "The 400 Blows" but they're still very good, especially "Stolen Kisses." Buy it and you won't regret it.

xerxes

Quote from: ebeaman69Do you think I should buy this box set?

yes

tpfkabi

i was planning to buy just the 400 Blows. i figured you could buy each seperately and buy the box set at a discounted price. are you telling me you can't buy them that way?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gold Trumpet

yep, you must pluck down $80 to $100 to even touch the 400 Blows out of this box set.

~rougerum

freefood

Got mine last Thurday. It's excellent. Get it. With the exception of "Love on the Run" all the films are gorgeous masterpieces. Still curious as to why "Love at Twenty" isn't included in this collection.

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

Just Withnail

Quote from: freefoodGot mine last Thurday. It's excellent. Get it. With the exception of "Love on the Run" all the films are gorgeous masterpieces. Still curious as to why "Love at Twenty" isn't included in this collection.

I realise this thread is over a year old, but isn't "Love at Twenty" the collection of shorts which contained amongst others "Antoine et Collette"? If so, then it's on the set.

ElPandaRoyal

These movies are great. Truffaut is the man.
Si

A Matter Of Chance

NEON MERCURY

just ask REAL nicely and maybe mac would let you trade him for his OOP criterion 400 blows.......

Alethia

this box set is the greatest thing criterion has ever done, although the cassavettes box set may beat it out, we'll see

jonas

As soon as I get the money, I'll be getting mine.

So I say, YES.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

Ravi

My DVD goals for this year are to buy this and the BRD trilogy.

tpfkabi

is the OOP 400 Blows exactly the same as the one in the box set?

i really want a copy of the 400 Blows, and of course i would like the film in it's best presentation, i.e..Criterion.......but there's no way i'm going to buy the entire box set without being able to see some of the other films first.

i was thinking, like someone said above, that there have to be some people who bought the original release and then later bought the box set as well.......that's why i wondered if they're the same......hmmm

but i guess, if this isn't possible, i'll just have to buy the Fox Lorber version

p.s. what happened to ebeaman?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.