Mesh

From the Scorcese Forum:

We briefly debated whether The Last Waltz was "The Greatest Concert Film Ever."

Is it?  What is?

Some others to chew on:

- Gimme Shelter
- Rattle & Hum
- Stop Making Sense
- Madonna's Truth or Dare? (but would that one count?)

Others I'm neglecting?  Get contentious!

SoNowThen

I would say Gimme Shelter, but it's just not a concert film. It stands on its own as something so much more.

So yes, Last Waltz is best of all time. Don't Show The Audience -- Scorsese's greatest idea. I hate when I get a music dvd and have to see audience members screaming. I bought it to see the band play, not look at kids yelling. Way to go, Marty.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ben

i dunno if this counts...but Incubus: The Morning View Sessions was pretty good.

It was shot with the HD camera that George Lucas used for Star Wars Episode II, so the quality it great.

Dirk

I heard the new Led Zeppelin set is killer.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

godardian

Quote from: MeshGet contentious!

I think that's going to be the title of the posthumous Hole concert doc, right?  :o

If Truth or Dare counts, so should The Filth and the Fury.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

pookiethecat

jeff buckley: live in chicago is fantastic.
i wanna lick 'em.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: DirkI heard the new Led Zeppelin set is killer.

It has to be...it is sold out at my nearest Best Buy-which does not happen often there. :x

anyway not sure if all of these count but  here goes{the wall, rust never sleeps, stop making sense}

MacGuffin

Quote from: DirkI heard the new Led Zeppelin set is killer.

Read for yourself here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleuth

I just got it today, but I'm not going to watch until tomorrow.  Right now I'm listening to the 3CD set that also came out the same day
I like to hug dogs

SoNowThen

Quote from: tremoloslothI just got it today, but I'm not going to watch until tomorrow.  Right now I'm listening to the 3CD set that also came out the same day

Can you let me know if they're "must buys" right away? I had my hands on both cd and dvd sets today, but remembered I was poor. I have everything Zep's ever put out (inc. Song Remains The Same and BBC sessions), as well as a few bootlegs. Do I need this new live set??
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

I'm only on track 7 of disc 1 (Stairway...a song I'm so fucking burned out on, but this version makes me like it all over again)

I would say definitely buy it, you might as well since you're so big on LZ.  I had never heard any bootlegs before, so I don't know it this will be anything new for you.  My one piece of advice is to get this at Best Buy this week (the DVD set and CD set cost less than $40 together)
I like to hug dogs

SoNowThen

Are you in Canada or the US? 'cause I went to A&B Sound today, and they had each for $28 canadian. But we just got a Best Buy here, so maybe I'll check it out.

BTW, if you're a Zep fan you gotta get the Forum concert where Keith Moon guest-stars. Classic.

Sleuth

I'm in US

Keith Moon guest starring?  That sounds awesome

there are some Forum songs on the CD set, I wonder...
I like to hug dogs

Sleuth

Okay, I finished the CD set, and I'm about an hour into the DVDs...you NEED to get these to survive get them now
I like to hug dogs

Keener

I think we can all agree The Return of Spinal Tap is the worst.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama