PTA Interviews (on YouTube or otherwise)

Started by ono, July 07, 2011, 03:45:25 AM

Neil

Not sure if this has been posted, but i just came across it.

https://vimeo.com/120423327
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Alethia

Paul Thomas Anderson Makes the Case For A Quiet Place

Paul Thomas Anderson and his wife, Maya Rudolph, have known John Krasinski and Emily Blunt long enough that, the filmmaker says, their four children thought of Blunt as Mary Poppins years before she was cast in the role.

Anderson shared this story with me during a recent evening celebrating "A Quiet Place," Krasinski's hit suspense-thriller about a family trying to survive a monster apocalypse by not making a sound.

After Anderson raised a glass to the movie and his married friends — Krasinski co-wrote, directed and starred as the father; Blunt delivers a bravura turn as the strong, determined mom — he sat down and reminisced about the first time he saw the film at the ArcLight Sherman Oaks.

"Everybody was completely quiet to the point where you could really hear the silence," Anderson remembered. "It's so loud, the silence, and it's not something you're used to in movies. Everybody's talking about movies on TV, but there's a reason why this was a big movie in theaters. And there was a joy going to see it with an audience. It would not have been the same without a lot of other people around you."

Anderson's children are still pretty young — the oldest, Pearl, is 13 — so they didn't see the movie. But it still became a part of their family life.

"I explained the premise to them the next day and I said, 'When I scream "Quiet Place," everybody has to be incredibly quiet,' " Anderson said. "I usually do it at the dinner table when it gets too loud. I scream 'Quiet Place' and — " Anderson makes the zipping gesture across his lips. He laughs. "It works."

So does the film, a superbly crafted horror film that works because of the extraordinary emotional investment it makes in its imperiled family. "A Quiet Place" figures to earn the obvious Oscar nominations for sound editing and sound mixing, but it merits consideration in many other categories, including screenplay. Too often, the awards-season merits of scripts boil down to word count and, of course, wordplay. But sometimes simplicity is everything. The taut, inventive "A Quiet Place" embodies that, delivering an emotional gut punch in a way that few films have done this year.

Here's an early — and, in honor of "A Quiet Place," economical — look at how the Oscar screenplay races are shaping up.

:hammer: :yabbse-huh:

I just can't understand the love for this fetid hunk of shit.

EDIT: A Quiet Place, not PTA.

Drenk

Ascension.

ElPandaRoyal

Well, I have no kids, I certainly am not friends with Krasinski and Emily Blunt, and I enjoyed the hell out of that movie. It was one of the funnest theatrical experiences of the year for me.
Si

Alethia

That is the general consensus. Could it...could it be me?

Something Spanish

It's Not Just You, Murray!

(jk, haven't seen it yet, but you're not alone, considering how samsong's contempt for this one was palpable.)

putneyswipe

It's shot on 35mm and is about a guy who has a lot of kids and listens to Neil Young. I can see why he likes it.

ElPandaRoyal

Maybe it's due to the fact that I don't see many new movies that excite me that much anymore (I certainly have no patiente at all for big-budget CGI filled blockbusters at this point in my life, and I find that a lot of more dramatic movies are turning into big TV episodes with unimaginative staging) that I found this studio production with very little dialogue that mostly relies on visuals and its actor's expressions rather than words to be quite refreshing. People in the theater were into it, it was a collective experience, everybody shut the fuck up and watched the movie.

But as for the movie itself, I liked it a lot in the way I like the maligned stage Shyamalan movies (from Signs to The Happening) - they start with this very specific idea, and stay with it until the end, not really giving a fuck about real world logic, they just want to explore their own universe. And to me, there were very few cinematically satisfying scenes as that sequence right at the beginning, or especially the one at the bathtub. I'd say that it's a lot easier for me to understand PTA's love of this than it is to understand his love for the latest Nolan and Star Wars films for example.
Si

Alethia

Fair enough.  I'm glad you had such a powerful, communal experience watching it, packed house with everybody vibing the same vibes, that's always a blast. My experience seeing Hereditary for the first time was like that.

ElPandaRoyal

Didn't get to see that one in the theatre. Some WTF moments in it that would be fun watching with that sort of crowd, I guess.
Si

Drenk

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on December 13, 2018, 09:28:49 AM
Didn't get to see that one in the theatre. Some WTF moments in it that would be fun watching with that sort of crowd, I guess.

Or someone would have done the sound with his tongue and you would have ended up yelling at the audience. (It might be a personal story.)
Ascension.

Alethia

Ha yeah that more or less describes my second audience experience with it (not as good).

modage

PTA's picks for current movies have always been a little head-scratching, no?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

Yes, now recalling his over the top enthusiasm for Little Miss Sunshine...