Netflix: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Started by pookiethecat, October 08, 2003, 02:40:05 PM

Stefen

Netflix streaming is awesome. If your netflix queue library is shit, your selection is going to be shit and you'll have to go to netflix.com to add stuff.

I was using my moms for awhile and I was getting every shitty movie ever. Horrible, horrible movies. Then I got my own and started getting awesome movies. Tons of Criterion titles.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polanski's illegitimate baby

You misread prolly... My queue has little to do with the limited amount of B movies available for streaming...
every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)

Stefen

You're complaining that Netflix doesn't have enough BAD movies?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polanski's illegitimate baby

Lol. Could i be saying that? You think that's what i am saying? Limited amount of B movies is what Netflix streaming is already. I don't really need any more.. :) I did say it was getting better though, e.g., Criterion etc... Still only about 17 percent of netflix is streamed and probably a quarter of those is worthy of bandwidth. LOL Btw, i hope you won't think i am using dial-up Stefen ;)

Edit: I have, in fact, been complaining quite a bit lately. Maybe i've been watching too much Larry David. But as one journalist from google quotes of the day said, "Rage is the only quality which has kept me, or anybody I have ever studied, writing columns for newspapers." :)
every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)

RegularKarate

The instant queue is worth having.  They have been adding a shit-ton of criterions and while I was complaining about the quality of those streams earlier, I have found that generally if the title is available on Blu-ray, they usually make the stream HD.

The selection just gets better and better.

My suggestion is to follow the Netflix New Choices to watch instantly RSS feed.  It updates anytime they add something new.  You'll see a lot of crap come through, but at least every month a high quality batch of new stuff comes through and it's like Christmas.

RegularKarate

So, Netflix Instant just got a huge basket full of FOX!

All seasons of King of the Hill, Firefly, Arrested Development, The X-Files, 24, and more.

Stefen

Just got a PS3 which means I have Blu-Ray now but I had no idea the BR selection on Netflix was so shitty. Was hoping to get some Criterions over the weekend, but they only have like 1000 BR's for rent and it's all just shitty movies. What gives? Is there anywhere else to rent good BR's and not just Avatar?

polkablues

I think when you're just browsing through the "blu-rays" tab under Genres, it doesn't actually show you every blu-ray that's available.  You're better off searching for whatever movie you're interested in, then checking to see if Blu-ray is listed as a format.  I'm pretty sure every Criterion Blu-ray is available on Netflix now.
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

yeah, stefen, pretty much everything that's available in blu-ray is available through netflix.  just look up the title and it will tell you whether they have it on blu-ray or not.

For a test, I went through the Criterion list of blu-rays and the first random three titles I picked were available in blu-ray on Netflix.

Stefen

Ah, thanks, guys! I see it now!

So being someone who has NEVER seen a Blu-Ray, what film would you recommend I pop my cherry to? I was thinking The Red Shoes but that isn't out for awhile. Days of Heaven? The Last Emperor? Chungking Express? Get my Aussie DP on? Paris, Texas? Oh, I think that may be the one!

Pwaybloe

Depending on the quality of your TV/Monitor/Projector, I would go with the Seventh Seal.  The blacks and whites are the best I've ever seen. 

Reinhold

The Dark Knight looks fantastic on blu ray, so does chungking express.

thanks for the tip about the seventh seal
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

RegularKarate

Do you like Dark City?  That was the first one that really smacked me in the face.

Stefen

I went with Days of Heaven as my first Netflix Blu-Ray, but a buddy let me borrow The Dark Knight and I was blown away. UPGRADE!  :yabbse-thumbup:

modage

The Netflix app is now available for iPhone and iPod touch.  You can stream your Netflix Instant to your phone.  Yep, it's awesome.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.