Your favorite bad yet not "Z" movie

Started by Pas, May 26, 2003, 06:55:20 PM

Pas

Is there any movie you like, but know is bad ?.. bad story, bad directing, bad acting, bad everything.

I can say I like The Substitute (1996, Robert Mendel, starring Tom Berenger) a lot more than I should  :roll: Why ? God knows, might be all that crack my mother took while pregnant.  8)

Cecil

well there are alot of b-movies i like, but theyre usually cult films. other than those, i actually like four rooms, and city of industry. i also really enjoyed 54 the first time i saw it.

Pas

54 really qualifies for this category :)

City of Industry, another Stephen Dorff ! I like this story of him (On IMDB) : "Was considered for the part of Jack in "Titanic". Stephen was glad that he didn't play the part because he would have been always remembered for being that guy on the boat." Very smart move of him, instead of being remembered as the guy on the boat, he will now be able to not being remembered.

pookiethecat

speaking of stephen dorff and movies that are bad yet entertaining, he was in a film about apartheid, the power of one.  i really thought he did a fantastic job in the movie: great english accent too. overall, he's pretty underrated but that's partially his fault cuz he chooses fairly shitty roles.    ahem...fear.com...ahem...
i wanna lick 'em.

Jeremy Blackman

soixante

Do you mean good bad movies, or bad good movies?  I have watched The Wild Party a bunch of times, even though it's really not very good.  For some reason, I feel compelled to watch it.  It is not James Ivory's best film, as it was done on a low budget for American International Pictures, but it has that great mid-70's decadence that only the mid-70's could have.  Plus, it is wonderful camp -- Raquel Welch belting out showtunes, James Coco going into a Fatty Arbuckle-esque rage, Perry King playing a sleazeball leading man.  Recently, the same source material inspired two separate Broadway musicals.
Music is your best entertainment value.

modage

do BILL AND TED count? because they rule.  i mean,  how many bonehead comedies can you think of that have homages to Ingmar Bergman movies?  you wont see that in DUDE WHERES MY CAR.  BOGUS JOURNEY rulez.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Raikus

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

children with angels

Aren't we talking about shitty movies that aren't cool and don't have a "cult status"...? I love Bill and Ted and Army of Darkness, but they're both kind okay to enjoy and still remain cool: they have a certain outsider charm to them (and I think thy're both actually well made - they achieve what they intend to)...

I'm gonna put myself out there and admit that - due to working in a multiplex at the time, and therefore seeing it 20 or 30 times - I have a completely irrational love for American Pie. The first time I saw it I thought it was pretty funny - but actually sincerely poorly made (it shows that it's a first-time for the directors), but a strange thing happens when you watch this teen-sex movie over and over again: you become seriously emotionally attatched to the characters... I found myself waiting for - not the funny scenes - but the piss-poor, sappy, romance moments when I watched it. I think it's just that I watched it so often over such a long period of time: it kind of grew with me I guess. Plus, no matter how shittily a love scene is executed, you can't help but relate it to whoever the person in your life is who you have those feelings for at that time. This just happened to be the movie because I spent so much time with it - I suppose it could've been any film really...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

MacGuffin

Quote from: children with angelsAren't we talking about shitty movies that aren't cool and don't have a "cult status"...?

I took this thread to mean "Guilty Pleasures."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

children with angels

Exactly! I don't think Dawn of the Dead is a guilty pleasure either - that's another damn fine movie with a cult status...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

modage

REALITY BITES? does this count?  its not cool.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

Congo and Island Of Doctor Moreau (Frankenheimer version). They suck, but I love 'em.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

pookiethecat

ahh yes...congo.  fantastic.  fantastically bad.

bedazzled is a good bad movie if there ever was one.
i wanna lick 'em.

SoNowThen

Hmm, I'll go so far as to say Bedazzled is just a good movie. No need to put "bad" in there.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.