INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

modage

Quote from: Larry Sportello on October 30, 2014, 04:39:29 PM
In fact, I would be extremely surprised and slightly disappointed if pta allowed Penguin Publishing to dictate the advertising material for his newest baby. In fact, I do not think it will look like the second, official poster, because paul is always so in control of the marketing of his films.
There is probably close to 0% chance that Penguin commissioned this artwork without any oversight from PTA. From the looks of it, he was probably completely in control like the inkblotty Master Blu art.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Dr_Chile

I personally think the cover art looks great and, fundamentally, if this gets more people to read Thomas Pynchon this is not a bad thing.

wilder

books assholes dig: Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon, As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

jenkins

SailorOfTheSeas

when do u all think we'll get a sound of JG's score?

modage

Quote from: Larry Sportello on October 30, 2014, 05:37:21 PM
Not saying they didnt consult him. Just that the posters for the film are his own. Its most likely that this book cover is a collaborative effort.
This cover has PTA's fingerprints all over it. It's as "his own" as a poster would be. It was almost certainly commissioned and overseen by him. No offense to Penguin but it's doubtful they would've initiated something like this on their own without his direction (otherwise it'd just be the legs poster on the cover).

If it's not the final poster, maybe it's because WB veto'd it but PTA still got to use it for a book cover instead. Just speculating on that though, so we'll see.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Lottery

PESUDO-MASTER SPOILERS?

From the interviewer's twitter, Jenkins lead me to this about a week (?) ago.

Ask PTA if Freddie Quell from THE MASTER becomes Doc in INHERENT VICE. He imagines Freddie starting something like The Source Family. #yes

tpfkabi

Quote from: modage on October 30, 2014, 02:32:58 PM
Are you kidding me?

It is fucking beautiful and he 100% had everything to do with its creation/approval. It could not be further away from the hideous cash-in that you posted.

I'd be surprised if it isn't the final movie poster.

If you like this type of artwork, you should check out the last Roman Coppola movie.
It had a lot of cool graphic design stuff in it.
The lead character was a graphic designer, I think? Been a while.

*tangent*
I tried tracking down one of the Charles Swann posters - the one with Charlie Sheen laying horizontal with an arrow sticking out of his chest - but wasn't able to. The movie wasn't popular so I was thinking someone involved would send me or sell me one. I'm not sure they exist since it didn't get a cinema release. If anyone could knows a channel to go through, let me know, please.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

jenkins

making sure pta fans are aware of this fun thing he's doing:

PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON PRESENTS MONDO HOLLYWOOD
QuoteThis underground cult classic documentary captures Hollywood at its most psychedelic, from 1965 to 1967. But this isn't a la-la-land we're used to seeing. Instead, it goes beneath the usual glitz and glamor and heads for the fringe, following everyone from would-be actors and models to politicians and even skydivers. The film's opening scene, which documents the original hippie-vegan Gypsy Boots exercising "Watusi-style" with stripper Jennie Lee under the HOLLYWOOD sign, perfectly nails the film's focus of, as Variety wrote in its 1967 review, "the Hollywood the public doesn't know." But plenty of Hollywood we do know also get their closeups: Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Sean Connery, Alfred Hitchcock, Sonny and Cher, Brigitte Bardot and even Bobby Beausoleil of the Manson Family make appearances. Paul Thomas Anderson has listed this film as a chief inspiration and influence on his latest film, INHERENT VICE, an AFI FEST Gala presentation. After the screening, Anderson will be in conversation with MONDO HOLLYWOOD director Robert Carl Cohen.

i'm not going to it because i'm going to the tribe instead, but i just can't help myself from appreciating pta's interests

http://afifest2.afi.com/sections/T3400

jenkins

i accepted the inherent vice press pack because i thought my internet friends would want to hear about it. the other day while walking home from seeing little annie rooney i read on my phone little annie rooney's imdb trivia page and, isn't that something, the trivia page listed the screening i was walking home from. and someone had already liked the trivia. these are fast times

the pack has other pages. unfortunately this enterprise "took me long time" and i deleted six baddest photos, including a page with owen wilson playing a saxophone. if people want more of the book i can arrange more of the book

imgur thingy of pages from the iv press packet. just checked the imgur thingy and only the beginning pages are in proper order. what a disaster. everyone act natural for a second, then get excited for a moment. plan

Gittes

I really hope we get a full, proper Charlie Rose interview this time.

noyes

INHERENT VICE "sneak preview" screening on December 8th at BAM in NYC, a part of the BAMcinématek series 'Sunshine Noir'. Tickets on sale now.

http://www.bam.org/film/2014/inherent-vice
south america's my name.

modage

Been waiting for this. Thanks for the heads up.  :yabbse-thumbup: