How about a 2020 Xixax Dekapenticon? - THE RESULTS ARE IN!

Started by ono, December 01, 2020, 02:36:17 PM

WorldForgot

Nomination Battlez Lost:
Body Double,
Love Letter,
Moonrise Kingdom,
Passion of Joan of Arc,
Possession,
Scream,
Sherman's March,
Stop Making Sense,
---
we shall try again next time around the reel!

(also btw I nominated a handful of female directed joints ((and Brian De Palma filmz lmao)) that didn't make it thru, so I'm assuming most of us did and they were just too scattershot to have enuff for this round?)

ono

Scattershot, yes, which is why campaigning and participation are so important.  Body Double got 2 nominations.  Basically, if a film got 3 nominations, it's in.  There were 96 films with 2+ nominations.  365 unique films nominated.

Quote from: Alma on December 18, 2020, 08:22:51 AM
How many people voted in the end? It's kind of funny that even though it's a "favourites" list not a "best" list, a lot of the picks are fairly expected. I would imagine the final 20 will not be that different from most "best films" lists made by magazines etc., with maybe a handful of exceptions. Only two of my choices made it, although I'm happy they did as they're definitely near the top of my list (Morvern Callar and Fire Walk With Me). Congrats to Lynne Ramsay for being the only woman who made it, lmao. Kubrick, Anderson (obv), Lynch, Coppola, Von Trier and Tarantino have more films each on the list than women do in total. Looking forward to checking out the ones I've not seen.

13 participants in the first round.  I like to think of it as a favorites/best composite.

WorldForgot

I SHOULDA CAMPAIGNED FOR YOU, JAKE SCULLY.
Holly Body forgive me...

wilberfan

If nothing else, the list got me to check out MORVERN CALLAR so far.  An interesting film, to be sure, but it wouldn't crack my Top 500 at any point.

Alma

WorldForgot

jenkins

it's funny the other Anderson didn't make it

i look forward to seeing the nominees ranked. it's fun

WorldForgot

Yeah i was hoping Resident Evil: Retribution would make it thru too  :doh:

jenkins

honestly my jaw dropped when i didn't see it on the list

ono

Seriously though, I nominated Moonrise Kingdom.  I think only one other person mentioned Wes Anderson.

jenkins

outside social politics, purely cinematically, the list needs more asian. Yang represent but immabout to drop my Forgot About WKW mixtape. Koreeda ain't gotta sweat it so i'll do the sweating for him. those who know know Johnnie To but how does not everyone know. Ming-liang, Hsao-hsien, Sangsoo has two fucking movies on the cahiers du cinema 2020 but y'all been sleep sleep sleeping on him. etc

WorldForgot

I think i nominated two Shunji Iwais but I totally agree. For me Hong Sangsoo iz a master of naturalism. We lackin on foreign cinema picks defo, I texted one of my lurker friends that he shoulda shown up for Tarkovsky and I shoulda tried harder for Almodovar ~

wilberfan

ono

jenkins

lol y'all did great. my personal list wouldn't go past
1939 so i'm just being conversational