Marriage Story

Started by wilder, August 20, 2019, 01:35:21 PM

wilder

Quote from: Noah Baumbach"MARRIAGE STORY is a love story that reveals itself within the breakdown. With these companion trailers, I wanted to show the relationship through the eyes of both characters. There are many sides to every story, and the movie embraces these different viewpoints in order to find the shared truth."

The film sees couple Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson going through a tough coast-to-coast divorce. Driver plays the part of Charlie, a stage director, while Johansson is Nicole, an actress.

Written and Directed by Noah Baumbach
Starring - Adam Driver, Scarlett Johansson, Ray Liotta, Laura Dern, Merritt Wever, Alan Alda, Julie Hagerty, Azhy Robertson, Wallace Shawn, Martha Kelly, and Mark O'Brien
Release Date - In theaters November 6, on Netflix December 6

Freddie Dodd

94% on Metacritic, with 11 reviews.

This is going to be a strong contender at the Oscars, with potential wins in both the lead categories, screenplay, and supporting actress.

Yes

Anyone seeing this at NYFF?

wilder

Adam Driver in this, oh my god.

jenkins

right? it's not a rivalry between him and ScarJo. Driver is better. when he sings it sounds like one might imagine, btw

Laura Dern also kills it. at one point she roughly explains how what's happening is a role reversal. in this movie ScarJo is strong and Driver is weak: the future. but that just means Driver gets to do all the heavy acting

it makes two hours feel like five. it feels realistic so i don't understand why it's a movie. hard movies are for people having a hard time but i'm currently fine and The Souvenir is a better hard times movie

in the end this is what it's being pitched as: a love story set during a divorce. great theme, draining movie

samsong

Quote from: wilder on November 10, 2019, 03:49:04 PM
Adam Driver in this, oh my god.

you weren't kidding.  fucking hell.  scarjo is great too.

loved this.  absolutely wrenching, and the most convincing emulation of bergman this side of woody allen's "and" films.  baumbach steps up his visual game.  laughed more than i did at any other movie ive seen this year to boot... well, maybe second to the beach bum.

why was tunde in this?  couldnt baumbach give him more lines?!  baumbach had over two hours and couldnt give us any fully formed poc?!?!  and everyone was straight... gawd, so unwoke bruh. 

jenkins

it's a weird situation to be in, but i'll mention that The Souvenir is far more visually appealing and Bergmanesque. which doesn't discredit anybody's appreciation for this movie

ForTheHungryBoy

I thought this was fantastic for how economical it was... And if a movie this intimate and 'simply' made wins big at the Oscars, that's positive

The writing was superb (obviously super dialogue-heavy), very funny when it wanted to be, the side characters were superb, the intentional claustrophobia was executed well ... Only personal gripes were the contemporary realistic setting naturally was a bit drab, and I can't directly relate to the experience yet

... I look forward to revisiting this movie in a decade or two when/if I'm married  :shock:

wilberfan

I'm an hour-and-thirty into this and want to throw boiling urine on every single one of these people.   I've currently got the sound off and subtitles on--with the intent of glancing up occasionally just to see if anything worthwhile happens. 

Robyn

well, like ray liotta said in it; "criminal lawyers see bad people at their best, divorce lawyers see good people at their worst". it's just a complicated situation. I didn't hate either of them

WorldForgot

Quote from: wilberfan on December 09, 2019, 10:57:57 PM
I'm an hour-and-thirty into this and want to throw boiling urine on every single one of these people.

Damn!  :shock:
Funny review but erm guess that sounds frustrating to experience.

Found this quite sweet (and oof kind of a perf class on blocking a scene??), the kid didn't annoy me as much as it did Drenk or eward, and I guess the stakes around their divorce kept me in suspense more than a typical Baumbach. Alan Alda + Laura Dern are treasures.

wilberfan

I thought the actors were doing a fine job with what they were given (and I enjoyed what turned out to be Randy Newman's score--although I'm wondering if it would have been better served in a 'sweeter' movie (maybe they were going for irony)? But I found the material insufferable. 

jenkins

it's an intensely sweet movie, it just doesn't feel like it

not really sure why you do this wilber, you're the Armond White of xixax. which is fine btw

wilberfan

I guess every Film Nerd Forum should have one, right?   :yabbse-grin:

Shall I look forward to a sweatshirt from you with "the Armond White of xixax" on the front?   You can message me for the mailing address.

WorldForgot

I mean it's definitely appreciated because, like, Baumbach has a sensibility that is almost as if it were on a stage. It's not a reach for me to see how this film could feel plodding or annoying, especially with ScarJo and Adam Driver as its leads.