What Films Are We Watching?

Started by Something Spanish, March 31, 2018, 04:59:34 PM

polkablues

Quote from: Something Spanish on March 30, 2019, 09:18:32 AM
Went for The Limey over a two night period, having not seen it since theatrical release, when I was too green to appreciate it. Damn if that doesn't deserve a slot among 99's best. As refreshing a rinse to the revenge genre as one can hope for, Soderbergh's use of experimental editing techniques and new ways of depicting scenes we've seen hundreds of times before contribute to the sheer entertainment factor of this terse, even slightly emotional, thriller. Stamp, as the mean limey bastard, rocks hard. The footage used from Loach's Poor Cow, where Stamp was 30 years younger, have an overwhelming effect when woven into the story. Incredulously, I slept on this one for almost 20 years, shrugging the movie off as an undercooked potboiler. Soderbergh's tampering with conventions is rarely a misfire, in fact, I can't think of single one of his I dislike, having seen about all if them. Peter Fonda's presence serves as an appropriate reminder of that yearning for a bygone era, here it's the 60's, when everything changed, felt meaningful. The Limey is tinged with these reminisces,  even the driving force of seeking answers to Stamp's daughters death has an unaddressed wonder of lost youth, an attempt to reclaim the past. Criterion needs to get on this one.

Quote from: eward on March 30, 2019, 10:49:53 AM
Yeah man, I've long been a fan of this one! Sod's output between Sex Lies and Erin Brok/Traffic is sadly under-appreciated. So many great little character moments sprinkled throughout (especially with Luis Guzman and Nicky Katt). "You tell him, you tell him I'm coming. Tell him I'm fucking comiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!" Good shit.

I love this movie so fucking much. Terence Stamp is a force of nature. I also still quote Luis Guzman's "You could see the sea from here, if you could see it," any time it's foggy out.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Something Spanish

Just watched Mister Lonely for the first time, got caught completely off guard. what an incredible movie, had no idea Korine had one in him like this. hulu'd it, now may have to buy a dvd.

jenkins

these are movies i've recently watched and would talk about with anyone who wanted to talk about any of them, otherwise simply making this post you're currently experiencing

also i'll shittalk E.T. if you need me to, but you probably like it like a person one chromosome away from being a polar bear

BB

Oh yeah, Blast of Silence, Scarface, House by the River, these all slap. Blast of Silence especially. Haven't heard of the other two. I'll defend ET to the death though.

Deciding if I should finally watch Tree of Wooden Clogs. Well, I know I should, but am I going to? On a weeknight?

jenkins

i think you should watch Tree of Wooden Clogs if you haven't seen it in a while. i think i'd like it more than i did after my first viewing, since i'd better understand it now for various reasons, that's my guess

nah about ET that was a pretty exhausting fight but now it's settled, ET sucks

jenkins

currently can't figure out what movie i want to watch next

don't worry i'll figure it out

in recent days i've watched and would be willing to chat about

Robyn

How was Sans Soleil? I'm vibing with that premise at the moment.

jenkins

for me it's what's called a perennial favorite. it's essential, memorize it

Robyn

memorized, lol

Spoiler: ShowHide
i'll read it tomorrow

jenkins

jenkins

so there i was experiencing my one chance at being alive, and Ready or Not had opened this week, and The Peanut Butter Falcon had expanded, but well my true calling came to me when i noticed this celebrating its 50th anniversary in a multiplex

i do not know for sure if i have seen this one, i only own The Pumpkin One, so i invited all my friends to watch it with me, and it playing in the center of LA you can pretty much imagine what the theater looked like

trailers did not play before the movie that began right on time, and wow what a fantastic first scene

i felt comfortable and open to this movie that felt open to the imagination

Charlie Brown is a failure and he fails in this movie but his friends help his sucky life feel cute, like a pitcher on a pitcher's mound covered with dandelions

Something Spanish

watched 35 Shots of Rum last night, and now completely understand the love for Denis, such a simple, endearing, warm hearted movie. If her other stuff is half as good I'll be a happy film camper. that sad French sounding score thumped the sympathy buttons on every cue. the understated father/daughter relationship crept in my emotional chamber, waiting for that final moment to pull levers of awe. I love movies that hit you when the end credits roll, all along you're thinking, yeah, this is good, but just as it ends you're like, fuck that was GREAT. nice little Ozu homage that carries its own weight.

also earlier this week I watched Night and the City, which is easily one of the best noirs I've ever seen. Richard Widmark is a bolt of adrenaline, just as incinerating performance. so much I love about this movie, mainly the characters being more fleshed out than most noirs of that period i've seen. it's a movie i know i'll return to frequently.

throw in Who Framed Roger Rabbit for the zillionth time and Spirited Away for the second time and that's my movie week so far.

Alethia

Quote from: Something Spanish on October 11, 2019, 11:46:43 AM
watched 35 Shots of Rum last night, and now completely understand the love for Denis, such a simple, endearing, warm hearted movie. If her other stuff is half as good I'll be a happy film camper. that sad French sounding score thumped the sympathy buttons on every cue. the understated father/daughter relationship crept in my emotional chamber, waiting for that final moment to pull levers of awe. I love movies that hit you when the end credits roll, all along you're thinking, yeah, this is good, but just as it ends you're like, fuck that was GREAT. nice little Ozu homage that carries its own weight.

Denis has two modes: one indeed, as you said, simple, endearing, warm hearted (35 Shots of Rum, Let the Sunshine In, Nenette et Boni) and the other hard, homicidal and horny (Trouble Every Day - my favorite... Bastards, High Life - very disturbing, violent, subversive spins on genre). Eager to hear your thoughts on some of her other titles...

Quote from: Something Spanish on October 11, 2019, 11:46:43 AMalso earlier this week I watched Night and the City, which is easily one of the best noirs I've ever seen. Richard Widmark is a bolt of adrenaline, just as incinerating performance.

Have you seen Sam Fuller's Pickup On South Street?

Something Spanish

yeah, seen Pickup on South Street, he's great in that too. haven't seen him in much else.

re: Denis. can't wait to dig through those treasures.

jenkins

um, oh shit this is dope

i had recently shown up for Zodiac—both these at the New Bev—and Zodiac is a well-made movie that i have to like imagine what people like about it so much, while this movie slaughters

it's this impressive tapestry in which nobody is perfect everything is fucked and everybody is just trying their best, set to a fever pitch

based on having seen it today i can tell you that i hadn't remembered a damn thing about it, and it totally won be over. when it ended the audience gasped before applauding, and i can first-hand tell you that that's not how the audience response to most movies

kevin spacey makes fun of himself in this movie in a way that's even more hilarious now, since he's been looking like a real dipshit, the audience was dying