What Films Are We Watching?

Started by Something Spanish, March 31, 2018, 04:59:34 PM

wilberfan

I prided myself in my early cinephile days of NEVER walking out on a film.  I was very proud of my long-standing record. Your list reminded me of the movie that broke that resolve:

The Stewardesses (3D).

As a healthy young man, not even the tits nor ass could keep me in my seat.  Jesus, what a piece of shit. 

jenkins

he prefers the Experiments in Love short

wilberfan

Now, there was a 3D, full XXX-rated film at the Pussycat on Santa Monica once that was a hoot-and-a-half.  (Although I think I was the only one in there laughing, if I recall correctly.)  Honestly the best and most-effective use of 3D I had seen to that time.  Even better than the 70mm 3D re-release of House of Wax at the Chinese.   

jenkins

that's hot

until recently i had it stuck in my head that House of Wax was the first 3d film, but i just made that up or something. this is the truth about that movie: "the first 3D feature with stereophonic sound. House of Wax, outside of Cinerama, was the first time many American audiences heard recorded stereophonic sound." like what it's sound related. k weirdo history. anyway what happened was i rewatched Five which initiated a typical internet background research sideproject that led to my being informed (or reminded maybe) about Bwana Devil, "notable for sparking the first 3D film craze in the motion picture industry, as well as for being the first feature-length 3D film in color and the first 3D sound feature in English."

wilberfan

Disney's "Fantasia" was presented in "Fantasound"--"the first commercial film released in stereo"--in 1940.

jenkins

Fantasia a traveling roadshow (the sound equipment traveled?), the stereophonic sound wiki page mentions both the Fantasound and that "most moviegoing audiences heard stereophonic sound for the first time with House of Wax"

House of Wax wasn't the first 3d film it was the first 3d film with stereophonic sound, and how many people heard that sound setup for the first time

facts are tiring and that's a conversationally unrelated statement, general statement

Robyn

lemme make a quar list too (since march)

Flight - 2/5
As Good As It Gets - 2
The Commuter - 3
Call Me by Your Name - 4
First Reformed 3.5
Triangle - 3.5
The Descent - 4
Honeymoon - 3.5
Dismissed - 1
Thoroughbreds - 4
Martyrs - 2
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - 4.5
Sherlock, Jr. - 4
The Abyss - 3
The Dying Swan - 4
A Corner in Wheat - 4
Battleship Potemkin - 4
L'Âge d'Or - 5
Fuses - 3.5
Godzilla: King of the Monsters - 2
Blood and Black Lace - 3.5
Singin' in the Rain - 4.5
The Goddess - 3.5
Kiss Me Deadly - 5
Vertigo - 5 (rewatch)
28 days - 1.5
The Hangover Part II - 1.5
The Lake House - 3
Jumanji: The Next Level - 3
His Girl Friday - 4
The Act of Killing - 5 (rewatch)
Moneyball - 3.5 (rewatch)
Disturbia - 2 (rewatch)
Erin Brockovich - 3.5 (rewatch)
Kiss the Girls - 2
Meshes of the Afternoon - 4
Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom - 3.5
U.S. Go Home - 5
April Story - 3
Bicycle Thieves - 3.5
Gun Crazy - 4.5
6 Underground - 3

not a single 2020 film. what's available and what's good?

wilberfan

I enjoyed:
Once Were Brothers
Deerskin
Spaceship Earth
Saint Frances
Never Rarely Sometimes Always
Circus of Books
Bad Education
Crip Camp

Robyn

Bad Education is directed by the same dude who did Thoroughbreds, so i'll watch that one for sure. Never Rarely Sometimes Always seems good and Deerskin sounds... well, interesting?

A man's obsession with his designer deerskin jacket causes him to blow his life savings and turn to crime.

wilberfan

I posted elsewhere here about my indecision regarding Deerskin, but it's grown on me since. I actually watched Thoroughbreds, too, recently and enjoyed that as well.

WorldForgot

Quote from: wilberfan on May 15, 2020, 12:20:52 AM
The Stewardesses (3D).

As a healthy young man, not even the tits nor ass could keep me in my seat.  Jesus, what a piece of shit.
lol!
Quote from: jenkins on May 15, 2020, 01:19:10 AM
he prefers the Experiments in Love short

A better skin flick & film, and much shorter.

Quote from: jenkins on May 13, 2020, 03:47:46 PM
i'm doing a hulu 30 day trial and at the end i will or will not talk about what i watched, this is to remind me what i've watched so far:

Support the Girls
Minding the Gap
The Beach Bum
Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Really dig these filmz. These are four humanist flicks with generous heart. Support the Girls iz the kinda film that's easy to miss, indie to the bone, without chomping at the pedigree-bit of A24/Neon's aesthetic.

eward, robyn:
Southland Tales... Salo.... Schizopolis! Kiss Me Deadly! April Story!!  Y'all are having fun. These are filmz that I'll rewatch forever.

Robyn

Quote from: WorldForgot on May 15, 2020, 09:51:43 AM
eward, robyn:
Southland Tales... Salo.... Schizopolis! Kiss Me Deadly! April Story!!  Y'all are having fun. These are filmz that I'll rewatch forever.

that's one way to put it :p

WorldForgot

Sleepless

Finally got around to this on Criterion Channel and I've got to say it's an instant favorite. By turns batshit crazy, hilarious, and very clever. I absolutely loved it. Brilliant.

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Nails9

Stay safe out there everybody  :salute:
WKBB*I/S*NotTP*SSotCB*OS & r.i.p.b.m.