Kenosha Wisconsin's own...Weezer!!

Started by cron, March 12, 2005, 06:22:47 PM

squints

i've been stuck on pork and beans for a while. its a great song. the video is pretty cool too.

edit: in fact..why not? its a great video
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

modage

don't believe the hype.  they still suck. 

Everybody Get Dangerous is this albums We Are All On Drugs.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cinemanarchist

I think Rivers is singing like he is enjoying himself for the first time in years...either that or he is just in on the joke of what Weezer has become. I still like the album and think it's perfect for summer rocking.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

squints

Quote from: modage on May 30, 2008, 12:33:01 PM
don't believe the hype.  they still suck. 

Everybody Get Dangerous is this albums We Are All On Drugs.

pork and beans is the singular great moment on this record. The rest of the album is pure bullshit. Not even rick rubin could save this. too bad. let me know when matt sharpe rejoins the band.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Quote from: cinemanarchist on May 30, 2008, 02:20:52 PM
I still like the album and think it's perfect for summer rocking.
i hold my summer rocking to a higher standard.  listen to

instead.  esp. Constructive Summer.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

hedwig

^agreed. i've had that on repeat, especially Slapped Actress.  :yabbse-thumbup:

john

I think comparing this to The Hold Steady's latest is pretty apt.

Both albums differ in sound and execution, but both seem to attempt to anthemic and reflective... only difference is that Craig Finn and Co. actually seem like they have something to say, to the result seems genuine, and not as lazy.

I love Weezer, but I put way too much effort in trying to give a shit about anything they've released in the last five years, if not longer. I should pretty much resign myself to the fact that the band that released Blue and Pinkerton don't even resemble the band that released Make Believe and Red. In fact, if any generic Los Angeles power-pop group released the same albums, I doubt they'd be in my collection, let alone on my radar.

I used to think I was too harsh on Weezer, holding them to a standard they really don't have any obligation to attain. I'm finally realizing that I've been way too easy on them.

Though, I'm not really gonna fault them for Pork and Beans - there are parts of that song that are really fine.

Back to listening to Stay Positive.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

tpfkabi

Circuit City is selling the album for $5.99.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

john

You know what... fuck it... I really appreciate this album.

It's gloriously schizophrenic, in both style and quality. Half of it is some of the best latter-day Weezer I've ever heard, and the other half is absurdly bad. After a pop-trifecta like Troublemaker, Greatest Man.., and Pork and Beans - it crashes, head first, with a double-bill of trifling garbage (Heart Songs, Everybody Gets Dangerous)

And it doesn't really regain that momentum it started out with... Dreamin' is perfectly acceptable, though not exceptional... Cold Dark World is probably an in-joke that I'm not in on, because it's fucking terrible...

But, if you get the bonus tracks, you get one of the best Weezer songs in years.... Miss Sweeney.... just fucking glorious, in every regard... it's a wholly new beast that still sounds lovingly familiar.

Rock.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

i think you'll enjoy this , john:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lmB-TALMkw0

probably my favourite song by weezer ever
context, context, context.

Pozer

hi,hellothisevening mynameisPozer andI mustbereallyboredcuzI justclickedonthatcliptowatchsome stupidkidcoveratalentless song..whydididothatthisevening? replacedIkissedAGirl inmymind.....

JG

there's a couple parts in that 'ms. sweeney' song that are really great.. the  "i'm waiting" line in the chorus, and then when he sings "girl" and the music drop out. the rest of the song is okay i guess, but its little things like that remind me why i use to think they were the best ever.

the other really curious song that i've heard is 'the greatest man that ever lived,' which ranges from being really good to funny good to funny bad to plain bad. rivers singing about tearing down the walls over acoustic guitar gets me every time - its a kind of sound i really wish they tapped into when rivers was writing better songs. its also unabashedly goofy. how can you say no to that killer falsetto? 

i can't remember the last time i listened to weezer, but hearing a few songs from this album (most of which i'll never listen to again) made me super nostalgic.

also, cron seems to like the right music.

Jeremy Blackman

My favorites are actually The Greatest Man That Ever Lived, Heart Songs, and The Angel And The One. Dreamin' also holds my interest. Not the best collection of music, but at least it's listenable. I think they're making progress.

cinemanarchist

Has anyone downloaded the new Weezer tracks for Rock Band? I think they've got The Greatest Man...Dreamin' and Troublemaker.
My assholeness knows no bounds.