Over the Hedge

Started by Gold Trumpet, May 19, 2006, 10:21:15 PM

Gold Trumpet

A small plea to the moviegoing folks of XIXAX:

In deciding what movie you're going to see this weekend, don't fall into the trap of seeing The Da Vinci Code. You're likely a person who hasn't read the book and really doesn't care all that much about it anyways. And if you do love the book, you already have seen it at whatever preview/early afternoon/first day showing you could get to. For the rest of us seeing the Da Vinci Code just gets us to fall into the trap of being a witness to a film that is being slaughtered in the press and seeing the film only allows us to rub the I-HATE-THIS-FUCKING-FILM dirt in its face like everyone else is doing. The summer is here. Films need to be enjoyed instead of over dramatized and extended to two and a half fucking hours. Look at the choices at your multiplex as an opportunity to see something really entertaining.

So, consider the other film that is opening everywhere this weekend. It is called Over the Hedge. An animated comedy featuring the voices of (my boy!) Bruce Willis, Gary Shandling and Stever Carrell. The film has the humanity and sarcastic wit that all Pixar films have. Its satiraclly poignant at our society and as the film goes along it actually gets better!!! Its the only Hollywood animated film (exception to anything Pixar) that gets better as it goes along. Please, the film is 88 minutes. Its a perfect length to fit into your schedule of XBOX 360 and masturbation.

I only say this idiotic bullshit because I actually really liked it. Ghostboy forewarned everyone of the possibility that Cars could be a dissapointment. I'll revel in Over the Hedge being my Pixar entertainment of the summer. You should too!

(and fuck you if there's another thread for this movie. I fucking searched and looked!)

modage

i will admit i had like ZERO interest in this film until maybe earlier today.  and now i think i'll atleast rent it.  though i was planning on seeing Da Vinci just to see it even though i have no interest in the book BUT with the buzz on that SO dismal that too may be a rental.  then again, you didnt like Squid and the Whale...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: modage on May 19, 2006, 10:28:11 PM
then again, you didnt like Squid and the Whale...

C'mon Mod, that was an aspiring art film. You know how ridiculous I can be with those films. I know my reviews never will sway anyone's opinion. It just might get them to think more critically at the next film they see. But, Over the Hedge is different! This is a movie where our tastes mesh better. Give into the summer recreation of going to a cineplex and see this movie! I swear you'll like it more than you expect. The film isn't a second coming of anything great, but its as well as done as this type of movie could be. Hell, I'm going to see it again.

hedwig

TRAILER

best trailer ever, just for the noise carrell makes after the crazy squirrel line.

I Don't Believe in Beatles

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on May 19, 2006, 10:21:15 PM
A small plea to the moviegoing folks of XIXAX:

In deciding what movie you're going to see this weekend, don't fall into the trap of seeing The Da Vinci Code. You're likely a person who hasn't read the book and really doesn't care all that much about it anyways. And if you do love the book, you already have seen it at whatever preview/early afternoon/first day showing you could get to. For the rest of us seeing the Da Vinci Code just gets us to fall into the trap of being a witness to a film that is being slaughtered in the press and seeing the film only allows us to rub the I-HATE-THIS-FUCKING-FILM dirt in its face like everyone else is doing. The summer is here. Films need to be enjoyed instead of over dramatized and extended to two and a half fucking hours. Look at the choices at your multiplex as an opportunity to see something really entertaining.

If only you'd posted this three hours earlier.    :yabbse-sad:
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

Kal

I agree with the suggestion of seeing Over the Hedge and that its probably a much more fun and entertaining flick for the summer than Da Vinci Code. However, telling people not to see something puts you in the place of all those retards that were responsible for all that publicity that the film got lately. It's just a movie guys. Remember what happened with all the controversy with The Passion? Yeah... there you go. I will probably see both movies. It depends on the mood when I get to the theatre and who I'm with. If I just want to laugh and not think for a couple of hours, maybe I'll smoke a joint and see Over the Hedge. If not maybe I'll see Da Vinci Code. I read the book and liked it. Wasnt such a big deal like everybody said, but it wasnt bad either.

My recommendation for anybody here who hasnt seen Mission Impossible 3 is to fuck these two movies and go see that one. It rocks.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: kal on May 20, 2006, 09:40:32 AM
I agree with the suggestion of seeing Over the Hedge and that its probably a much more fun and entertaining flick for the summer than Da Vinci Code. However, telling people not to see something puts you in the place of all those retards that were responsible for all that publicity that the film got lately. It's just a movie guys. Remember what happened with all the controversy with The Passion? Yeah... there you go. I will probably see both movies. It depends on the mood when I get to the theatre and who I'm with. If I just want to laugh and not think for a couple of hours, maybe I'll smoke a joint and see Over the Hedge. If not maybe I'll see Da Vinci Code. I read the book and liked it. Wasnt such a big deal like everybody said, but it wasnt bad either.

My recommendation for anybody here who hasnt seen Mission Impossible 3 is to fuck these two movies and go see that one. It rocks.

Everything leading up to my description of why I liked Over the Hedge was said in jest.

And I've seen MI3 and I'd recommend Over the Hedge before I'd recommend that movie

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This actually wasn't so bad... I kind of felt I'd be bored and it was a Madagascar ripoff. I was right about the latter, but it had a few pretty funny moments.

The best parts were mostly in the expressions on the faces of the animals, not so much the dialogue (not that the dialogue was bad).
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Reinhold

I loved some of messages and commentary... it's pretty hardcore leftist at parts. Unfortunately, it's marketed to an audience that isn't equipped to question it. It's worth seeing just for the commitment to social commentary in a summer kids' movie like this.

I also really like the new lyrics to Ben Folds' Rockin' The Suburbs. He does pretty much the whole sound track. It's enjoyable, though the the lyrics aren't exactly subtle... meh.

I think that the exterminator had the best lines in the movie. ("[Damn] you, plastic moldsman!") The little bit after the credits is also worth sticking around for... it caps off the theme of the movie pretty nicely.

I was a little surprised to see how direct the language was. It's interesting to see villains in a kids' movie that state bluntly and literally that they're going to kill the protagonists. It's certainly not a new thing, but it seemed particularly chilling in this movie.

I had MAJOR issues with the movie's approach to the skunk and feminine identity. For a film so obviously aware of its reading in every other aspect, I really feel like they dropped the ball in that regard. I'm disappointed. More discussion once other people see it.

It's not the Incredibles, but it's worth seeing.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

modage

Quote from: modage on May 19, 2006, 10:28:11 PM
and now i think i'll atleast rent it.
well i did, and now i'm wondering if it played better on the big screen.  i liked GTs review, it sold me on a movie and i didn't dislike this just to disagree but i felt it was harmless but skippable.  i went to school for animation and for a number of years would see every animated movie that came out in theatres, because i was interested, and to support them.  in the years since as traditional animation has died out and cg movies come more often and cheaply i've reduced what i see considerably.  but of dreamworks 3d output i've seen everything but Shark Tale which looked SO ODIOUS it made me think less of the entire studio.  and out of the films Antz, Shrek, Madagascar, Shrek II, & Over The Hedge i've enjoyed them all.  OTH is probably the one i've enjoyed least though atleast on first viewing.  i dont know what i'm saying but this was really a case where i felt like i'd seen it before.  the voices didnt seem to match with the characters, the plot was loosely stitched together and it wasnt that funny.  so its harmless, its not offensive, but i didnt think it was that good even for a rental!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.