Once Upon a Time in the West Appreciation Thread

Started by Grand Epic, May 02, 2003, 10:44:25 PM

Grand Epic

Great movie. I think my favorite.

Let's Discuss.

MacGuffin

Leone's best film and one of the best westerns ever made. Now that I think about it, this is the film Gangs Of New York should have aspired to be. Is revenge story, but all tells a history of a town, the people in it and gives a lesson in how the railroads were valuable to the land and it's owners. Love Leone's use of sound, not just in this film, but in all his films (Lynch is another filmmaker that appreciates great sound too), but especially in the opening scene of this film. Love how he using repetition on a certain sound effect. And Ennio Morricone does a wonderful job of giving each character not only their own score, but their own indentifing instrument.

Beautiful cinematography, great performances (Henry Fonda is so good in a role reversal part as the villian. Claudia Cardinale - what more can one say?) and, as always, perfect editing.

So glad I have the laserdisc.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Grand Epic

Quote from: MacGuffinLeone's best film and one of the best westerns ever made. Now that I think about it, this is the film Gangs Of New York should have aspired to be. Is revenge story, but all tells a history of a town, the people in it and gives a lesson in how the railroads were valuable to the land and it's owners. Love Leone's use of sound, not just in this film, but in all his films (Lynch is another filmmaker that appreciates great sound too), but especially in the opening scene of this film. Love how he using repetition on a certain sound effect. And Ennio Morricone does a wonderful job of giving each character not only their own score, but their own indentifing instrument.

Beautiful cinematography, great performances (Henry Fonda is so good in a role reversal part as the villian. Claudia Cardinale - what more can one say?) and, as always, perfect editing.

So glad I have the laserdisc.

You hit the nail right on the head, man.

I think there was a OUATINTW reference in Gangs of New York, something I noticed when I saw it. But now I can't remember what it was.

And Morricone giving each character a certain piece of music is what helped make the movie so operatic. I can't imagine what this movie would be like without its musical score.

Grand Epic

Alethia

SoNowThen

Wow, is this on DVD? Anything with Claudia Cardinale is worth buying.

Can somebody compare this to the mess that was Once Upon A Time In America? I wanted to like that movie, but the last act left me wanting.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Grand Epic

Quote from: SoNowThenWow, is this on DVD? Anything with Claudia Cardinale is worth buying.

Can somebody compare this to the mess that was Once Upon A Time In America? I wanted to like that movie, but the last act left me wanting.

It wasn't a mess, unless you saw the edited version, the one that's in chronological order.

SoNowThen

This is the bizarre thing: I'm pretty sure it was the original, cuz it skipped around. I mean, I enjoyed it for the most part, but then the end.... all the change-arounds make Fight Club look tame. I watched it years ago, I'd like to see it again, but I remember feeling cheated, like the good mood Leone built up fell apart in the last 20 min. But that's why I wanted comparisons, I'll probably see it again...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

i loved this movie!  henry fonda, charles bronson and the very very hot Claudia Cardinale.  i liked this movie a lot but was it really the BEST western?  over  THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY, THE WILD BUNCH, THE SEARCHERS, THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID, TOMBSTONE, UNFORGIVEN?!!  im not sure even what my favorite is, especially such a wide range of ways to do a western.  hmmm, thats something to ponder.  what is everybodys favorite western?  one of the "acknowledged greats" or something lesser known they could recommend?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02what is everybodys favorite western?  one of the "acknowledged greats" or something lesser known they could recommend?

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=992
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Grand Epic

Quote from: SoNowThenThis is the bizarre thing: I'm pretty sure it was the original, cuz it skipped around. I mean, I enjoyed it for the most part, but then the end.... all the change-arounds make Fight Club look tame. I watched it years ago, I'd like to see it again, but I remember feeling cheated, like the good mood Leone built up fell apart in the last 20 min. But that's why I wanted comparisons, I'll probably see it again...

the non-linear structure of the movie was done so well, which is why I said it wasn't a mess. Watch it again.

SoNowThen

Hey!! I didn't even know it came out, but I was in A&B Sound buying the new Radiohead album, and found Once Upon A Time In America!! Double disc, uncut version.... $23 Canadian. That's like 17 cents of your American currency. WooHoo! Just out today...

MacGuffin

This comes straight from Paramount, The Digital Bits has been told that Sergio Leone's "Once Upon a Time in the West" is looking very good for a DVD release before the end of the year as a special collector's edition.

Skeleton FilmWorks

life_boy

One of my favorite Dire Straits song.  I've never seen the movie before.