Away We Go

Started by MacGuffin, March 16, 2009, 08:41:34 PM

abuck1220

i read some of this before seeing the movie, so i assumed the characters were like spoken word artists or some other enlightened hipster bullshit. but burt was like an insurance salesman and maya's character was just like a normal person. i don't get that criticism at all. of course they thought they were better than maggie g and her husband...those people were assholes.

i liked this a lot, but i have to say, it didn't start well with the meetings with burt's parents and maggie g...terrible cartoonish characters that i thought would ruin the movie. thankfully they got away from that the rest of their journey. in fact, it was like a bad episode of the office where dwight/michael are acting so absurd it just makes me want to turn off the tv. complete with john k doing that jim face and throwing in the one word digs.

abuck1220

the criticism of this really irks me for some reason, and i didn't even love the movie or anything.

from ao scott's review...

Far from being screw-ups, Verona and Burt, played with passive-aggressive winsomeness by Maya Rudolph and John Krasinski, are manifestly superior to everyone else in the movie and, by implication, the world.

ok. then...

QuoteBurt's parents (Catherine O'Hara and Jeff Daniels) are a pair of giggly ninnies

QuoteA visit to Lily (Allison Janney), a former boss of Verona's who lives in Phoenix, reveals a tableau of vulgar suburban dysfunction: at, sullen kids; wildly inappropriate language; daytime drinking; and free-floating political paranoia (courtesy of Lily's husband, played by Jim Gaffigan).

QuoteL N, a gender studies professor played by Maggie Gyllenhaal, is a soft-spoken medusa of political correctness and New Age malarkey.

i mean, who is acting like they are superior to people here? what a dick.

Stefen

This will probably make my top 5. And it's been an awesome year. It just goes to show that you can't always trust what a reviewer says.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gamblour.

AO Scott's review is probably his most embarrassing simply for being so juvenile. To think this film 'hates you' and not a film like My Life in Ruins or whatever bullshit you want to put here, it's really just short-sighted and petty.
WWPTAD?

Convael

I didn't want to see this because I thought it'd be some crappy hipster movie for old people but I decided to go after reading this thread.  I loved this movie and while I didn't think Maya Rudolph was too great I thought John Krasinski knocked it outta the park.  I just had a big smile on my face for most of it.  And as someone said... the kid in the train station had me busting out laughing.  I can't find the script anywhere online but I wanna know exactly what he said cause it was funny as fuck.