That camera 'bump' in Punch-Drunk Love explained

Started by Marty McSuperfly, March 15, 2003, 06:09:49 AM

Quote from: snaporazwait...i'm a little confused...

if there were noticable f-stop changes in the film, why didn't these changes accommodate the differences in lighting?

i would think that by not changing the f-stop, it would give those really bright/silhouette effects.

personally, those warehouse scenes don't seem bad to me at all. i'm not saying you guys think that, i'm just talking about how this is unusual or otherwise "wrong". i mean, if it was a bright day and i was in that warehouse myself, my own eyes would see that affect as well.

i'm not a cinematographer...maybe that have rules about having the film look more like a movie than real life. i don't know.

All they are saying is when going from outside to inside or visa versa they did the fstop change..  because if they stayed with the same fstop that it was inside then when they moved outside the film would be way over exposed.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

sphinx

Quote from: snaporazi would think that by not changing the f-stop, it would give those really bright/silhouette effects.

that's right---it's just that in certain scenes the stop was changed during the shot.

snaporaz

Quote from: sphinxthat's right---it's just that in certain scenes the stop was changed during the shot.

so i guess these shots [guzzzzamnnn & barry entering] weren't one of them?

sphinx

the f-stop was changed just slightly in the sandler one, but i couldn't find any examples of changes during the shot.  if someone can give me an example, i'll be happy to take some caps