The 2006 Xixax Awards [Nominations]

Started by Jeremy Blackman, April 04, 2006, 02:03:51 PM

Jeremy Blackman

The results are in!

Final voting will start in a couple days.

BEST FILM
Brokeback Mountain
A History of Violence
Me and You and Everyone We Know
The New World
The Squid and the Whale

BEST DIRECTOR
Ang Lee - Brokeback Mountain
George Clooney - Good Night, and Good Luck
David Cronenberg - A History of Violence
Steven Spielberg - Munich
Terrence Malick - The New World

BEST FEMALE PERFORMANCE
Rachel Weisz - The Constant Gardener
Amy Adams - Junebug
Miranda July - Me and You and Everyone We Know
Laura Linney - The Squid and the Whale
Reese Witherspoon - Walk The Line

BEST MALE PERFORMANCE
Jake Gyllenhaal - Brokeback Mountain
Heath Ledger - Brokeback Mountain
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote
Viggo Mortensen - A History of Violence
Jeff Daniels - The Squid and the Whale

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE PERFORMANCE
Catherine Keener - The 40 Year Old Virgin
Michelle Williams - Brokeback Mountain
Catherine Keener - Capote
Maria Bello - A History of Violence
Taraji P. Henson - Hustle & Flow

BEST SUPPORTING MALE PERFORMANCE
Cillian Murphy - Batman Begins
Jeffrey Wright - Broken Flowers
Clifton Collins Jr. - Capote
Paul Giamatti - Cinderella Man
William Hurt - A History of Violence

BEST SCREENPLAY
Brokeback Mountain
Capote
A History of Violence
Syriana

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Brokeback Mountain
Good Night, and Good Luck
Munich
The New World

BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC
Brokeback Mountain
King Kong
Munich
The New World

BEST EDITING
Brokeback Mountain
The Constant Gardener
Good Night, and Good Luck
Munich
Sin City

BEST SOUND
Batman Begins
King Kong
The New World
Sin City
War of the Worlds

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
Batman Begins
King Kong
Sin City
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
War of the Worlds

BEST DEBUT FILM
40 Year Old Virgin
Capote
Crash
Junebug

BEST DOCUMENTARY
Bob Dylan: No Direction Home
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
Grizzly Man
March of the Penguins
Murderball

BEST DVD RELEASE
I Huckabees (Special Edition)
King Kong (1933)
Naked (Criterion)
The Simpsons (Season 7)
Sin City (Recut, Extended, Unrated)

©brad

Derek237

Ahaha! April fools?! Man, this is like that part in that one movie where everything seemed bad but then like right at the last minute deus ex machina kicked in and everything was fine!!!

This is more like it. This is more like it!

Good to see Catherine Keener get both nods for Capote and the 40 year old virgin, she deserves them and hopefully will win one..or both. why not, right?

Surprise to me to see Viggo up for best actor. I had the choice between voting for him and George Clooney in Syriana but I went with Clooney (If I could have voted him for supporting I would have been happier so I could have included both). Sad that Good Night and Good Luck didn't get nominated for best film or actor, but the best director nod is a small victory.

Man, you had us all....Talk about commitment to a gag. Know everyone can have a good laugh at themselves for complaining. I at least kept my cool.

Quote from: Derek237 on April 02, 2006, 09:44:09 PM
...I felt my selections were good. I should start my own awards. So fuck you.

Uh...heh... :yabbse-undecided:

Jeremy Blackman

For the record, we had a total of 36 ballots... which is pretty good.  :yabbse-grin:

cine

WOW whatta great list.

i think the only thing i wish we could've cut out is the Sin City re-release, re-dux, re-cut, re-extended, re-unrated, re-tarded edition. there was some amazing box sets that came out this year that should've outvoted that dvd.  :ponder:

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

There are going to be a lot of hard choices to make this year.  The Sin City box set was great as far as content, I felt.  The packaging sucked ass.  Coming with a pocket sized book of the Hard Goodbye was cool, but the set up was impractical.  If you took the book out, it was flimsy, and the placement of the DVDs is very annoying (who thought up this overlapping shit?).
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Just Withnail

Not that I have anything to complain about, as I forgot to send my ballot, but I'm surprised The New World wasn't nominated for editing.

JG

i'm very happy with the list.  Should I refrain from discussing particulars for now (who I voted for etc.)?  Anyways, well done on the joke. 

picolas

Quote from: Derek237 on April 04, 2006, 02:26:41 PMGood to see Catherine Keener get both nods for Capote and the 40 year old virgin, she deserves them and hopefully will win one..or both. why not, right?
i completely disagree. i was surprised by how little i liked Keener this year. not that i disliked her. those performances just aren't very good/memorable. i think sin city deserved the dvd nom very much. even if only for the audience commentary. i'm disappointed by the lack of kong.

life_boy

picolas

Gamblour.

Quote from: picolas on April 04, 2006, 11:42:31 PM
i helped imagineer that.

haha. I didn't vote, so I'm not going to say much, but the list is pretty awesome. No love for Terrence Howard, Kiss Kiss, or Downfall, however.
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

Quote from: Gamblour le flambeur on April 05, 2006, 07:44:34 AM
No love for Terrence Howard, Kiss Kiss, or Downfall, however.
terrence howard is weird lookin. kiss kiss no one saw. and downfall was probably the first movie ever made.
under the paving stones.

Derek237

Quote from: picolas on April 04, 2006, 08:46:03 PM
i was surprised by how little i liked Keener this year. not that i disliked her. those performances just aren't very good/memorable.

Wow, really? I honestly thought that in many respects 2005 was basically the year of Keener. No other actress stood out for me, personally, at least.