How about a 2020 Xixax Dekapenticon? - THE RESULTS ARE IN!

Started by ono, December 01, 2020, 02:36:17 PM

ono

Up to 7 entries now.  1 film with 4 nominations, 4 with 3.  Thanks everyone who's submitted so far.  I know we probably won't get the same turnout as we did 15 years ago, but I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm so far.

Jeremy Blackman

ono

Hooray Solondz!

And now presenting... ono's 5-10 films you may not have thunk but really should see:

• 3-Iron & Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... Spring.  Ki-Duk Kim just died from covid.  He's 2/2 in my book.  I saw SSFWS for the first and second time like 15 years ago, and it knocked me socks off.  Then a friend said 3-Iron was great too but it took me 15 years to take his advice.  I just watched it a couple days ago, and was uplifted.  To talk about the film is to spoil what makes it great, and even some of the promotional materials are spoilery.  Still, it's hard to ruin it too much.
  • Yes, by Sally Potter.  A poetical take on a relationship, and relationships as a whole.
  • My Dinner with Andre, by Louis Malle.  One would think catching up with your best friend for two hours wouldn't make the greatest fodder for a film.  But it so does.
  • Exotica, by Atom Egoyan.  Innocence lost.
  • Naked, by Mike Leigh.  A real journey through the night, one of the best philosophical films I've seen, shown through the eyes of this grimy, gritty, lost soul.
  • Before Sunrise, by Richard Linklater.  One of the best romances ever.
  • George Washington, by David Gordon Green.  Also, innocence lost.  Aspirations.  Heroism.
I would encourage people to continue championing films for the next few days.  One more vote here or there can make the difference between whether it gets nominated or not, and if you put some obscure film no one has heard of on your list, if you don't go to bat for it, it's just wasting that spot.  Plus, this is a great way to learn about stuff you haven't seen.  I'd like to think my perpetual Watchlist is slowly getting smaller, but that will definitely not be the case after this.

wilberfan

Quote from: ono on December 13, 2020, 10:47:33 AM
And now presenting... ono's 5-10 films you may not have thunk but really should see:

• My Dinner with Andre, by Louis Malle.  One would think catching up with your best friend for two hours wouldn't make the greatest fodder for a film.  But it so does.
  • Before Sunrise, by Richard Linklater.  One of the best romances ever.

A couple of quick reactions:  I have a friend for whom 'Andre' is one of her absolute favorite films.  We saw it together first-run, and while I enjoyed it, too, it's probably near the top of her All Time list.

'Sunrise' was a film that touched me deeply, post death-of-my-fiance, when I ached for the loss of what we had and dreamed of having an encounter as portrayed in the film.  In fact that almost effortless connection mirrored that of fiance and I when we met...

Alethia

Ono, do you hold the rest of the Before trilogy in the same regard as Sunrise? I haven't seen Midnight myself (I'm scared to) but I remember Sunset skewering my heart when it came out way back when.

Drenk

Sunset is my favorite. But that takes place where I hang. Shakespeare & Co still sell the script.
Ascension.

ono

Quote from: eward on December 13, 2020, 12:31:58 PM
Ono, do you hold the rest of the Before trilogy in the same regard as Sunrise? I haven't seen Midnight myself (I'm scared to) but I remember Sunset skewering my heart when it came out way back when.

Oh yes, most definitely.  Sunset is more urgent, condensed, but still just as powerful.  Midnight is on a whole other level.  Saw it for the first time a couple years ago now, it's all too heartbreaking and real.

jenkins

when i read Sunrise i think of Murnau of course. Orphans of the Storm, Little Annie Rooney, The General, Metropolis, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Man with a Movie Camera, Browning's Dracula, The Blue Angel, The Rules of the Game, Children of Paradise, Orpheus, Ugetsu, Tokyo Story, Seven Samurai, Pather Panchali, Wild Strawberries, Viridiana, The Leopard, Andrei Rublev

what has happened is i mentioned those movies. i took it up to Tarkovsky, whom i adore and he is emotions first, and if i went moderner i'd list Kiarostami because Taste of Cherry is basically pure emotions, and Goodbye Solo is a contemporary america variation on Taste of Cherry, not to mention that great final line in Cronenberg's Crash, the deepest cut final line i'm aware of, anyway Tarkovsky didn't list silents among his favorite movies because he said cinema hadn't developed as an art form yet. babies haven't developed as humans but you can still understand their tears their smiles and their hunger so i do think Tarkovsky was choosing the wrong perspective there. they may not be old enough to speak but when i want to witness the purely human i go to babies

ono

Just a little over 24 hours to get those nominations in, so if you haven't made your list of 40 favorite films, please do so and PM them to me.  Thanks!

Sleepless

Quote from: ono on December 15, 2020, 01:15:39 PM
Just a little over 24 hours to get those nominations in, so if you haven't made your list of 40 favorite films, please do so and PM them to me.  Thanks!

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Robyn

Quote from: ono on December 11, 2020, 10:23:25 AM
Up to 7 entries now.  1 film with 4 nominations

I'm guessing... Buffalo '66 for the surprise (me, eward... drenk, wf?)

WorldForgot

Not me, sorry. My list was more of a personal Top 40 than a "cinema forum"s top 40 but I tried to meet some of the championed pieces mentioned. (I also was like third or fourth to submit i think if not even earlier).

Alethia

Same, despite how much I love it. It's been lingering on my list for years so I decided to give it the axe (along with a number of other titles for similar reasons) in favor of some newer picks.

ono

Quote from: Robyn on December 16, 2020, 06:25:02 AM
Quote from: ono on December 11, 2020, 10:23:25 AM
Up to 7 entries now.  1 film with 4 nominations

I'm guessing... Buffalo '66 for the surprise (me, eward... drenk, wf?)

No comment yet!  But I *will* say for those of you (polka) who were worried it would just be a repeat of 2006, worry not.

But... I gotta kick some ppl's asses to get off them and send me their nominees.  jenkins!  polka!  c'mon, it won't hurt!  whateverman!  welcome, and come join the games!  Drenk!

JB - do you remember about how many entries you got way back when?  Surely enough that merited like 3 or 4 ppl needing to count them.  But I find it a little sad that Xixax has so few regulars.  Though I haven't posted much in the last year, I've been a lurker, and have never really been away for too long.  Many regulars have disappeared, but I always thought we had more of an influx of more new blood than it has appeared.