Why do you think you will make it in Hollywood?

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, September 17, 2003, 11:00:35 AM

aclockworkjj

Quote from: MacGuffinconvincing meeting with the studio heads and made you case for what you want to do and gain their trust, it
all I can say is good luck.  It sounds simple enough, but.....

Sorry that this has turned into our discussion.

..but Mac, are you really that naive?  Do you really think the director is always calling the shots?  xpecially in that of a big budget action film?

btw
Quote from: poserBut I'm the next Kubrick, they'll have to see that right away
try pitchin' that notion...even back it up with an arthouse flick like Clockwork....see what happens.  I wish the best of luck.  (realize I know you were jokin'...but.)

MacGuffin

Yes, I am that naive, that's why I'm posting about it here instead of actually doing it. Thank you showing how stupid I am.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

aclockworkjj

Quote from: MacGuffinThank you showing how stupid I am.
I don't think you are stupid at all...quite the opposite.

MacGuffin

All I'm saying it can be done. I think you have the idea that studio heads are narrowminded. They can be convinced. Hell, pitch meetings are about convincing the person who greenlights films to buy your concept. And you missed my part about the director knowing he is not always in charge because he has to realize what kind of film he's making and who it's for.

But who am I to give advice; a struggling writer/director that most likely will die alone with nothing to show for his career.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

aclockworkjj

Quote from: MacGuffinAnd you missed my part about the director knowing he is not always in charge because he has to realize what kind of film he's making and who it's for.
indeed I did...where is it?... as 100 times sorry for missin' it.

QuoteBut who am I to give advice; a struggling writer/director that most likely will die alone with nothing to show for his career.
you shut up now!!!

that's a shitty attitude mr.....do with it what you will.... if you get a free moment....let's have a drink, ....but to take that attitude means you have already failed.  Come on Mac...you are sounding along da lines of Cecil.

Cecil

hello

xixax.com aint big enough for two of me

MacGuffin

Further proof of my unoriginality.

Back to topic to rid the thread of more self-loathing.

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Mac & JJ,

Yes yes, action movies can be great. And yes, asking for final cut is having balls as big as, well.... really big balls.

But I think I can honestly say that I would be happy pulling in $25 grand a year (Canadian dollars), and getting to make the movies I wanna make (which means that they'll all be under $5 million budgets). Something like a Jarmusch-type career. Not that I love all his movies, but I like that he does his own thing, gets investors to pay his little bills, etc.

I'd LOVE however, to do uncredited re-writes on huge budget flicks. Like you said Mac, to spruce them up (like what Mamet did for Ronin). But I just would rather experiment with narrative and filmic technique than bend backwards to come up with a happy ending for some studio heads (Before The Revolution as opposed to Pretty Woman -- yet I like both movies).

I think Godard has shown us that no matter how bizarre you demand to make films, if you keep your budgets low and crew small and always meet deadlines, you can create quite a unique body of work and be self-fulfilled and make a living.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

Exactly.

John Sayles might be an even better example of someone who does a lot of big budget rewrite work. Mimic, The Mummy, and Apollo 13 and The Alamo too.

BonBon85

I feel like ranting about how discouraging the last few weeks have been, and I'm not sure why but this seems like the thread to do it in. I'm beginning to feel like I really wasn't made for the film industry. I'm simply too shy in new situations. All those bad things you hear about film school seem to be true. I think if it weren't for my need of technical information I'd have dropped out or transferred already. I'm just staying because next year I want to be able to shoot on 16mm and most other schools don't let you do that until your last year. This seems ridiculous, though, because with the exorbitant tuition fees I could just go rent a camera for myself. It feels like I'm the only person here on a scholarship because nobody else seems nearly as concerned about money. Now this has just turned into a big anti film school rant. Sorry.

In spite of all this, every time I watch a great movie I know I want to be involved. I think my new plan might be to pursue the computer animation route in spite of my lackluster drawing abilities. That way, I figure, I can keep a non-film day job and still make my own movies on the side. Maybe I could eventually start up a little animation production company to produce shorts and commercials if I get the funds.

ono

BonBon: All the greatest filmmakers were hermitic introverts.  Kubrick, Allen ... um, um, that other guy who made that movie ... you know the one!

Well, you get the idea.  :-D

Me, I don't care to make it in Hollywood.  I just want to make films I like.  Being true to that voice, I feel, is the best way to find an audience who will appreciate your films as well.  The money would be nice, but it can't be what you're seeking, or the quality of your work will suffer.

Weak2ndAct

BonBon--
How long have you been in school?  I ask, because I myself was in a similar situation.  When I got to school I didn't know as much technical stuff as my classmates, I'd never done a 'real' short with a crew, or had a real film job.  They all had experience, and I felt like all I had was a bunch of film-geek knowledge and a penchant for nerd-dom.  From the big talk by the students, and the brow-beating by the teachers (at our school, you had to basically audition to get into the directing program and were told, you're not good enough, don't bother).  Very early on, I thought about quitting and resigned myself to being an editor at best.
However... It took about a year for me to really figure things out.  And as time went on, I got a little more confident... I worked hard and paid attention to everything that went on.  *Here's the egotistical part, sorry*  I soon came to the conclusion that I was much smarter than everyone else.  I cared more.  I could really do this if I wanted to.  I shook off what trepidations and shyness I had and went balls-out for what I wanted.  Worked my ass off, made decent films.  Got into the directing program.  Moved out to LA, doing okay now.

In short, if you really want this-- don't bail now.  You're close.  I know many people who was going through what you are now.  Some are happy and doing okay.  Some really, really regret it.  Some bitch all the time.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: BonBon85In spite of all this, every time I watch a great movie I know I want to be involved. I think my new plan might be to pursue the computer animation route in spite of my lackluster drawing abilities. That way, I figure, I can keep a non-film day job and still make my own movies on the side. Maybe I could eventually start up a little animation production company to produce shorts and commercials if I get the funds.

Sorry to do this Bon Bon...but if anyone of you haven't checked out her website...do so (well, unless she gets mad at me for saying so, then don't).  It's sweet!!  The animation thing is definately not something you should be down about...cause from what I have seen you got the skills.  Now matter what you are doing...it's gonna get discouraging...just don't let it be your downfall.  Slaps of reality are everywhere...but it's then that you need to kick reality right back in the ass...and do something for you, and only you (even if it's a little animation about how 1950's soda culture takes over the world  :wink: ).  And you (as well as others) will find that is where your greatest assets will shine.  Some of the best work is done out of sheer frustration and agony.

Something Spanish

I'll make it in Hollywood because my cat is best friend's with this mosquito that often flutters to the house of a gaffer who once considered working on Steven Spielberg's "The Sugarland Express", but opted not to because he thought it would be a waste of time and the director would amount to nothing in the business but a straight-to-video hack. And this plan is infallible man. It guarantees 5 features by the age of 28. AT least 5!

prophet

We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...