Tarantino on Matrix and CGI

Started by brockly, September 25, 2003, 05:21:00 AM

brockly

In an interview in the Empire magazine, November, Quentin got all riled up about The Matrix and the use of evil CGI in movies. This hatred apparently started when director Luc Besson brought Keanu Reeves to an early screening of Kill Bill.

'I watched Keanu watching and I suddenly felt it. You know, my guys are all real. There's no computer fucking around. I'm sick to death of all that shit. This is old school with fucking cameras. If i'd wanted all that computer game bullshit, I'd have gone home and stuck my dick in my Nintendo.

'This CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema. Movies are far too fucking expensive at the moment and it's killing the fucking art form. The way it's going, in ten year's time it will officially be killed.'

Well said Tarantino!

Anyway, what you guys all think of the new trailer?

If you haven't seen it's here
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808404742&cf=trailer

I think it might be on the official site too, im not sure. please don't kill me if im repeating shit here.

The Silver Bullet

RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Cecil

Quote from: Brock Landersplease don't kill me if im repeating shit here.

(and i apologize if this is out of context and doesnt work)

SoNowThen

Wait a minute... I'm confused...

if QT had mentioned Westerns, or My Cousin Vinny, this would work... but as it stands it just disrupts everything. Dammit, Cecil, it's just no good.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alethia

©brad

Quote from: Brock LandersIn an interview in the Empire magazine, November, Quentin got all riled up about The Matrix and the use of evil CGI in movies. This hatred apparently started when director Luc Besson brought Keanu Reeves to an early screening of Kill Bill.

'I watched Keanu watching and I suddenly felt it. You know, my guys are all real. There's no computer fucking around. I'm sick to death of all that shit. This is old school with fucking cameras. If i'd wanted all that computer game bullshit, I'd have gone home and stuck my dick in my Nintendo.

'This CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema. Movies are far too fucking expensive at the moment and it's killing the fucking art form. The way it's going, in ten year's time it will officially be killed.'

Well said Tarantino!

Anyway, what you guys all think of the new trailer?

If you haven't seen it's here
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808404742&cf=trailer

I think it might be on the official site too, im not sure. please don't kill me if im repeating shit here.

- totally disagree w/ him here. u mean to tell me he hasn't used any cgi in kill bill? from the looks of the trailer a good majority of those shots (the bullet from the gun, the plane) are comepltely cgi!

i don't get what the big deal is here. cgi is a tool just like anything else, and when its done right it works.

Banky

Quote from: ©dawg- totally disagree w/ him here. u mean to tell me he hasn't used any cgi in kill bill? from the looks of the trailer a good majority of those shots (the bullet from the gun, the plane) are comepltely cgi!

i don't get what the big deal is here. cgi is a tool just like anything else, and when its done right it works.

fuck yeah.  i obviously respect Tarantinos opinion but i mean it was the Wachowskis stylistic choice to try to advance the film.

Redlum

I think he's just exaggerating to make a point here but  he's right in many respects.

the point he's making really is, CGI is expensive> through its overuse people expect more and more of it> more money goes into big effects movies> less money allocated for smaller films.

thats just a line of thought I dont know how true it is. But whats interesting here is that Tarantino has just made (hopefully) a brilliant action movie to rival its recent 'compeitiors' in that genre, using traditional techniques, that perhaps work out a lot better.

Yes, he's obviously used some CGI, but as with most films, this works best sparingly.

I often wonder how well a full blown, summer action movie directed by PTA, Tarantino or other greats would turn out.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

©brad

i don't see too big a difference btwn. cgi and animation. they both have the power/freedom to manipulate images. kill bill has animation in it yes? where do u draw the line btwn. that and cgi? they're both done on computers. no sense it makes.

Gold Trumpet

Animation is completely different than CGI. For Tarantino and animation, I don't think he is using animation in his film more than to add a minor layer and have another element of his film in direct reference to another big thing in asian cinema, the japenese anime. Kill Bill seems to be him commenting on the Asian cinema he was influenced by.

Animation though is its own world. CGI gets criticized because it is trying to replace other special effects in real life movies. The effect just isn't that good. Yea, many movies with CGI are sci fi films so using artificial effects can't really be ignored, but with CGI in comparison to more traditional effects in older sci fi films, the quality just isn't as good. Its believability as being real just isn't there the same way other effects, such as real models and such, can represent in those kind of movies. Its just the use of CGI are in basic movies and carry an artificiality that doesn't complement the basic movies as much. Animation films are great because they are only animation and withing that world.

~rougerum

SHAFTR

Quote from: ©dawgi don't see too big a difference btwn. cgi and animation. they both have the power/freedom to manipulate images. kill bill has animation in it yes? where do u draw the line btwn. that and cgi? they're both done on computers. no sense it makes.

Animation is meant to be noticed, cgi isn't.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

©brad

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: ©dawgi don't see too big a difference btwn. cgi and animation. they both have the power/freedom to manipulate images. kill bill has animation in it yes? where do u draw the line btwn. that and cgi? they're both done on computers. no sense it makes.

Animation is meant to be noticed, cgi isn't.

what, u've never seen crappy animation before?

Ghostboy

That shot of the plane in the trailer is obviously a model shot. I wasn't sure about the bullet, but now that I've seen the whole shot in its context, I'm pretty sure that's not CGI either. I think the only thing he used it for was to erase the wires.

finlayr

Agree with Tarantino 100%%%%%%!!!!!!
Filmmaker