rendering: what is it and why is it necessary

Started by pookiethecat, October 12, 2003, 09:03:40 PM

pookiethecat

i've been trying to figure out how to use vegas video 4.0.  but honestly, this rendering stuff has me confused.

i had about 4 minutes of footage and it took about 10 minutes to render.  what does the rendering process do that it takes so long?  i've read the manual like thirty times and the language is incredibly allusive.  i figure this is pretty basic, so if anyone could possibly help me out here, i'd appreciate it any answers to these questions: what is rendering and why is it necessary?  

-pookiethecat
i wanna lick 'em.

aclockworkjj

all it's doing is building a preview that is accurate to what the final movie will look like.  It does so, cause with out it, you wouldn't be able to see some video effects (transistions, etc.) when prewiewing.  It basically is similar to building the final movie.  Depending on your compression rates (if any) rendering times suck.  

Vegas has this "prerendering" tool though, which may help you cut down on time.  

Just wait till you see how long it takes to build the actual movie.

pookiethecat

ah, thanks man. that helps clear some things up
i wanna lick 'em.

Link

Question:  

I have Vegas Video as well, and last night I was trying to render some stuff I had edited, see how it would turn out.  It's about 13 minutes long.  It took only a couple of minutes, and it only rendered 32 seconds, and it was choppy, at that.  Any ideas?  I tried to render it as a .mov first, then an mpeg-1, then as wmv (though that brought up an error).  Maybe it's just my puter.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: LinkQuestion:  

I have Vegas Video as well, and last night I was trying to render some stuff I had edited, see how it would turn out.  It's about 13 minutes long.  It took only a couple of minutes, and it only rendered 32 seconds, and it was choppy, at that.  Any ideas?  I tried to render it as a .mov first, then an mpeg-1, then as wmv (though that brought up an error).  Maybe it's just my puter.

Maybe you don't have lots of transitions and effects and stuff... if you try rendering a video with no effects or transitions whatsoever (ie. only straight cuts video), the computer has nothing to render... it just assembles it.

Nick

Link

oh, believe you me, I gots transitions and stuff  :wink:

I rendered it this morning as an avi and it worked perfectly.  Maybe it's just the format I was trying to render, who knows?

aclockworkjj

Quote from: LinkI rendered it this morning as an avi and it worked perfectly.  Maybe it's just the format I was trying to render, who knows?
there's a gang of stuff here, refering to compression problems in vegas.

Speaking of, anyone know when the hell did Sony bought out Sonic Foundry?

mutinyco

I don't know how it is on Vegas, but you shouldn't have to render your ENTIRE film. Just click on any transitions or credits and render those specific clips. That's all you need.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: aclockworkjjSpeaking of, anyone know when the hell did Sony bought out Sonic Foundry?

I think it was not too long ago... and another one of my faves, Cool Edit Pro, just got bought out by Adobe... I hate aquisitions, damnit.

Nick