A Prairie Home Companion

Started by MacGuffin, August 24, 2005, 12:27:18 PM

modage

i didnt think i could've been less interested in this, but now i am. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

snaporaz

regularkarate, you from austin?

i've listened to npr for ages already, but i just moved to austin svereal months ago and have since had my first opportunities to listen to a prarie home companion. i have a love-hate relationship with that show. i can never find garrison keillor's voice any less pompous. but as for the show itself...well, i love the guy noir and the librarian bits.

anyways, yeah it's north american premiere is opening up the sxsw festival...i've half-heartedly thought about going, but i'm sure it's been sold out for a while already.

Reinhold

heads up, mod: altman is doing a screening/discussion at the Museum of the Moving Image (astoria) in april.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Ghostboy

Thanks for the warning about the trailer, RK. I'll skip it for now. Will you be at the premiere on Friday?

Pozer

Trailer: very shitty
Anticipation: still very highly

squints

what was so shitty about the trailer? i didn't think it was that bad
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

RegularKarate

Quote from: Ghostboy on March 07, 2006, 12:06:08 AM
Thanks for the warning about the trailer, RK. I'll skip it for now. Will you be at the premiere on Friday?

Yes, I will be there, hoping that PT shows up.

samsong

Quote from: Xidentity Crixax on March 06, 2006, 11:49:52 PM
heads up, mod: altman is doing a screening/discussion at the Museum of the Moving Image (astoria) in april.

where'd you find information about this/how do i get a muthafuckin ticket?!

pete

it's be great if you go into the theater, there will just be a parrot sitting there, and then you realize you've walked into the showing of "A Pirate Home Companion."
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

RegularKarate

I just saw this.

PT wasn't there, unfortunately... and because he was busy with a play, Altman wasn't there, BUT John C. Reilly was and HE SAT RIGHT NEXT TO ME!
I ended up just giving him a hurried and panicked thank-you-for-being-awesome handshake on the way out.

anyway, the movie was pretty damn entertaining.  It's not at all an insult when I say that my grandmother would love it.  It was so obviously written by Keillor yet at the same time so obviously an Altman film.  It was funnier than the radio show usually is, but still the same kind of humor and when the drama elements kick in, it gets a little cheesy, but it's so whimsical that it doesn't matter much.

In the end, I laughed a lot, but it's unlikely to end up on any top ten lists.  And if there was any evidence of PT in it, it was burried by it's Altmaness... though I think there were a few shots that if given a different soundtrack and maybe overcranked a little looked like they could have been in a PT movie.

PT is in the Special Thanks... above everyone else.  I clapped when I saw his name... so did one other person in the theater.  JC probably thought I was retarded or something.

The Red Vine

"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

modage

i am truly envious of all the people who just spent 2 1/2 hours with PT.  the movie sounds like kind of a snooze.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

I figured that might be you clapping, RK - I looked for you afterwards, but didn't see you.

The movie is awesome - but people who aren't familiar with the show are going to wonder what the big deal is.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

So, Garrison Keillor will be on campus and giving a lecture later that same day (April 13) and I have nothing to say to him besides, "what was Altman like?!" :(
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.