Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

itwasgood

Am I the only one who thinks that Gary is probably like seventeen or so? Gary is definitely younger than Alana but it doesn't seem Gary is fifteen years old. Alana is saying "Gary and his fifteen-year-old friends" not "a fifteen-year-old Gary and his friends", and I think that Gary does look much older (taller and thicker as well) than his friends. I think what Alana said might imply that Gary is weird and it's even more weird that Gary gets her to hang out with fifteen-year-old kids whenever they're together. Gary doesn't look fifteen to me.

Pringle

Quote from: itwasgood on October 21, 2021, 12:07:56 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that Gary is probably like seventeen or so? Gary is definitely younger than Alana but it doesn't seem Gary is fifteen years old. Alana is saying "Gary and his fifteen-year-old friends" not "a fifteen-year-old Gary and his friends", and I think that Gary does look much older (taller and thicker as well) than his friends. I think what Alana said might imply that Gary is weird and it's even more weird that Gary gets her to hang out with fifteen-year-old kids whenever they're together. Gary doesn't look fifteen to me.

The kid he's talking to at the beginning, and who looks at him when he's on the phone at the end, looks 2 or 3 years younger than him.

wilberfan

Quote from: itwasgood on October 21, 2021, 12:07:56 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that Gary is probably like seventeen or so?

Quote from: wilberfan on October 19, 2021, 09:21:31 PM
Both Gary and Alana can drive--so Gary is likely at least 17. (I got my CA Learner's Permit at 16 1/2.)

RudyBlatnoyd

Charlton Heston played a Mexican in Touch of Evil and that's still a good movie.

I can't muster the energy to be concerned about a young-looking woman playing a character who maybe in real life would look a little younger than she does.

pynchonikon

Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on October 21, 2021, 02:55:54 AM
Charlton Heston played a Mexican in Touch of Evil and that's still a good movie.

I can't muster the energy to be concerned about a young-looking woman playing a character who maybe in real life would look a little younger than she does.

Disliking this particular young woman -along with her band- certainly plays a part on this rapid concern, let's not be coy about it.

Drenk

Quote from: pynchonikon on October 21, 2021, 03:29:42 AM
Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on October 21, 2021, 02:55:54 AM

Disliking this particular young woman -along with her band- certainly plays a part on this rapid concern, let's not be coy about it.

No. She looks 29. Maybe ten seasons of Friends made people think thirty is forty?

I love the idea that 19 is slightly younger than 29, too. Or to compare casting in 2020 with Hollywood in 1958? Or that: « maybe cast a high school kid with all the other high school kid and not a thirty years old woman » seems to really trouble some of you.
Ascension.

pynchonikon

Quote from: Drenk on October 21, 2021, 06:14:56 AM
No. She looks 29. Maybe ten seasons of Friends made people think thirty is forty? My point is Haim is that PTA's infatuation make him lose all coherent judgment when they're involved: most of his videos with them can be « saved » by being described as camera tests.

I love the idea that 19 is slightly younger than 29, too. Or to compare casting in 2020 with Hollywood in 1958?

Quote from: Drenk on October 19, 2021, 04:56:00 PM
Adults can own dolls. But: the dolls in Alana's bedroom + the teenage frustration in display make me believe that she will be a student in Gary's high school. I rewatched the trailer: she looks too old. I tried to think "well, she looks younger than 29" but no: she looks 29. And I notice that Gary is around: kids way smaller than him in his play, and all his friends (15, apparently) also make him look older.

But I promise to stop mentioning the subject until I've seen the movie.

Drenk

Maybe try not to be condescending next time. I've edited my post, too.
Ascension.

Drenk

+ I like to make fun of Haim. But saying they're a mediocre band and PTA's infatuation with them is sentimental and not artistic isn't « disliking this young woman ». Come on.

I was worried about Cooper because it was also sentimental. But he was seventeen, not a 30 years old Haim cousin or something.
Ascension.

RudyBlatnoyd

I just trust his track record as a filmmaker.

If he wanted to cast his plumber in the lead role for a movie I'd figure that he'd make something interesting and memorable out of it. (No disrespect to plumbers.)

Drenk

The movie will certainly be at least good. But it looks like a studiohead imposing their comically older daughter for the lead of a high school movie, except it's self imposed in that case.

I wouldn't trust him if he were casting Reilly as Cooper's 25 years old brother either. I'm wondering why he hasn't find a place for Reilly in two decades, though.
Ascension.

pynchonikon

What we know about this movie is that a 29 y.o. woman is playing a character (of unknown age as far as we know right now) that is hanging around with high-schoolers and is flirting with a youngster played by a 17 y.o. lad. Everything else age-related are assumptions.
Shouldn't we keep this discussion for after we see the actual film and delve into its themes/context?

The persistence on this discourse is inexplicable at this point.

Drenk

She's either a high school student or grooming the kid, so.
Ascension.

HACKANUT

Drenk

I won't. But thanks for the concern. You're all so freaked out by  any potential "discourse" that you're making a fairly simple point weirder than it is by being overly defensive.
Ascension.