Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

Reel

Have you seen the Terrifier short film? Not sure if it's available anywhere...

WorldForgot

Quote from: Reelist on October 15, 2022, 10:58:32 PMHave you seen the Terrifier short film? Not sure if it's available anywhere...

Up on Internet Archive
-- basically a prototype for the first film (Terrifier 1)

Reel

Thanks, I'll start there!  :yabbse-grin:

polkablues

The original Terrifier is actually one of the short films featured in All Hallows' Eve, so if you're planning on watching that, you don't need to seek out the short separately.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Ohhhhhhhhh, that saves me some trouble, thanks!

polkablues

Finally watched Barbarian. Well-crafted and tons of fun, but ultimately it was about nothing and amounted to nothing. I'm still excited to see what the director does next.

The film I watched recently that left a MUCH stronger impression on me was Speak No Evil:

Basically, imagine if Ruben Östlund made Funny Games, and you get somewhere close to the wavelength of this movie. Very preoccupied with concepts of social expectation, and how our anxiety over being judged as impolite or ungrateful can be weaponized against us, causing us to suppress the primal instincts that are meant to lead us out of dangerous situations. It almost plays like pitch-dark comedy for much of the runtime, but the ultimate goal of the film is to leave you emotionally gutted, and it does.

Jeremy Blackman

I liked Speak No Evil and loved the tension but couldn't really find humor in it, so the many, many logical stretches eventually drained the movie of realism for me. I feel like it's going for something like Compliance but doesn't have the interest in crafting a series of choices that make sense. It just doesn't hold up for me psychologically.

Spoiler: ShowHide
There are many points before but mostly after their return (to get the stuffed animal) where 99% of humans would have left again. After that convo the facade of politeness and getting along has already been shattered, so truly what is the reason for staying? The wife has already reached a breaking point with so many alarms going off in her head, but even after several more escalations she stays... why? If the goal is to avoid social awkwardness, leaving is actually the easier choice at that point.

Meanwhile, I really liked Barbarian, and while I totally see the argument for it being fluff, I think it actually holds up psychologically in ways Speak No Evil doesn't.

Spoiler: ShowHide
The entire first act with Bill Skarsgard is so perfectly-tuned, and it works great as a kind of one-act play about gender dynamics. I think it also has something to say with the Justin Long character, subverting his would-be redemption arc and confirming that he's actually trash.

polkablues

That was part of what I found frustrating about Barbarian, is that it started out feeling like it really had something to say and was doing it in a very clever and savvy way, but then you get to the midpoint and the movie strips that away and doesn't replace it with anything of equal or greater value. I think ultimately I'm being harder on it because the first act was so well done and raised my expectations so high.

As for Speak No Evil, that's a totally fair analysis. To me, the decisions the main character made, while often illogical and frustrating, were well enough baked into the character from the start (his discomfort with social awkwardness, his craving for masculine connection and approval) that even when I was practically yelling at the screen for him to change course, those decisions felt right for that character in that moment. But of course that's going to be a purely subjective determination for each viewer.

WorldForgot

Damien Leone signs to WME

great news ~
WME will be repping the sales side of Terrifier 3 >:D

WorldForgot

Eli Roth casts Addison Rae in THANKSGIVING --
feature length (finally!) version of his Grindhouse trailer. Patrick Dempsey in Talks

QuoteEli Roth's cast for his upcoming horror pic Thanksgiving looks to be getting bigger and splashier by the day as sources tell Deadline Addison Rae has joined the cast of the film based on the fake trailer from the double feature Grindhouse. Patrick Dempsey also recently boarded the cast.

Spyglass Media is producing the pic, with Roth directing. Jeff Rendel penned the script, with plans to shoot in March. Roger Birnbaum and Roth are producing.

Spyglass had no comment.

Jeremy Blackman

I heard this described on Too Scary Didn't Watch and had to go find the scene...

Edit: This is the opening scene of Ghost Ship (2002), apparently age-restricted on YT.

WorldForgot

So fucking good  :yabbse-grin:

polkablues

The rest of the movie is hacky early 2000s garbage, but that scene is an all-timer. Put it in the hall of fame next to the Final Destination 2 opening.

WorldForgot

Hehehe  :yabbse-grin: Can't wait to see this one

WorldForgot

Behind the Scenes for Eli Roth's THANKSGIVING!
Such a laid-back comfy slasher.