All the Real Girls! - August 19th! (UPDATED W/ SPECS!)

Started by Ernie, June 06, 2003, 11:13:57 AM

Disco Stu

Are you in fact David Gordon Green because you seem to love the guy.  To be honest, I haven't seen his films but I really want to.  For some unknown reason, I can't find George Washington anywhere to rent up here in Canada and I really do want to see All the Real Girls.

At least you're doing your part in trying to get people into his movies.

One question though, his films aren't like Harmony Korine's are they?  Because I fucking despise his pieces of garbage known as movies.
I used to do drugs.  I still do but I used to too!

Ernie

Quote from: poserEB, you wanna have like a million babies with DGG or what? jus kidins

No man...Zooey Deschanel...definitely Zooey Deschanel, lol.

Quoteyeah, I'm one of the ones who Blind Bought GW cuz of you and others and I guess I have to watch it a second time like you said. I watched about a quarter of it with a few others and they all hated it. and they're not mainstreamers in particular, they loved PDL and stuff like that, they just found it incredibly boring. I however can't say I hated it, I thought it looked great and all, but I couldn't get into the story. It felt like a long poem, which is nice, but the story element has to be there for me and I felt the coming of age part of it lacked big time. that's the most important chunk of a movie I think, and while something can LOOK beautiful, it still has to hook me and keep me interested. it took me three nights to finish GW cuz I kept falling asleep, y'know.
however, the images do inspire. I found myself outside shooting everything from the skyline, birds and overcast clouds from my rooftop to a dirty old white cat drinking sewer water.
I'll give it as a whole another whirl though. I did spend 35 bucks on it.
but don't feel bad for me cuz I will be Blind Buying ATRG as well.

Well, I'm glad you seem to be more open minded than your friends, that's good. Hope you like it a little more next time.

You should definitely still check out ATRG even if you don't end up liking GW cause I think it has a little bit more of a story than GW...which isn't hard cause GW has like no story. It's a little bit more conventional too in certain ways. This is not to say it's a conventional film. It's just a little bit more "polished" as many critics have said, I would agree with that. It's a little more mature and finished.

Thecowgoooesmooo

Quote from: Disco StuOne question though, his films aren't like Harmony Korine's are they?  Because I fucking despise his pieces of garbage known as movies.

You've just hurt Harmony's 2nd biggest fan.

chris

Cecil

okay, first off i want to say that i dont like posting in a movie thread that has gone on for a while unless i can add something that hasnt been said. i like reading what others thought, and sometimes ill force myself to respond with my opinion on the film, which is usually just a line or a couple of words. but since my good buddy ebeaman wants to hear what i thought of all the real girls, ill write a couple of lines:

it took me a little while before getting into the movie because, frankly, its too "sweet" and "sensitive".... and as i stated before, i like to watch more depressing and pessimistic stuff. but thats just me. this isnt the films fault (i guess). but after about 10-15 minutes i really got into it and enjoyed it very much. the "sweetness" and "sensitivity" (in other words "poetry") of the film eventually touched me. great film, well shot. the performances were magical.

though, just to get on another one of my sexual rants,  i dont understand what the big deal with "cheating" is. why are people so upset that their girlfriend or boyfriend fucks other people? its just sex, i wouldnt care if my gf plays monopoly with someone else (though if she sees a movie that i want to see without me, oh shell get the silent treatment :wink: ) so why would i care if she fucks someone else? id like to hear her talk about it too.... is it because people are afraid that their bf/ gf might fall for the someone else that they are fucking or what?

Ghostboy

Wait a sec, Cecil, didn't you say you'd never had sex? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Cecil

Quote from: GhostboyWait a sec, Cecil, didn't you say you'd never had sex? Or am I thinking of someone else?

youre thinking of someone else

EDIT: or youre confused by my anti-sex posts

OTHER EDIT: or you took that post i made in the sexuality/ kubrick/ eyes wide shut thread back on the c&c boards seriously. and if thats the case, i laugh at you and i laugh at everyone who fell for that. ahhahahahaahahha. suckers. reading all those " :shock: " replies was one of the best moments of my life. anyone has a link to it? or can copy it as an image somewhere here?

Alethia

Quote from: cecil b. dementedi wouldnt care if my gf plays monopoly with someone else (though if she sees a movie that i want to see without me, oh shell get the silent treatment :wink: )

hahahaha, thats fucking great......

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI only mentioned it in one thread, but I am having major withdrawals to not being able to see this movie. I still haven't seen it. I keep on hoping it will go to the city only an hour away from me but it never does. The city did get Man Without a Past which I am happy to be seeing today but my dissapointment is that All the Real Girls, every week, continues to show up nowhere on my radar of location. This is the movie I want to see the most and am the most excited for and thing is, all you've guys seen it. Just imagine being in my position instead. It's really terrible. This is good news and makes August 19th an even more important day, but I really want to see it sooner than that.

~rougerum

I know what you mean.  I'm fucking burning to see this movie, and ebeaman and co. are only making it worse!  :wink:

But thanks for the info on the dvd release man.  I await it with salivating mouth and lobster bib on, arms outstretched and goo-goo-ga-gaing for my turn......
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Alethia

Pozer

Quote from: cecil b. dementedokay, first off i want to say that i dont like posting in a movie thread that has gone on for a while unless i can add something that hasnt been said. i like reading what others thought, and sometimes ill force myself to respond with my opinion on the film, which is usually just a line or a couple of words. but since my good buddy ebeaman wants to hear what i thought of all the real girls, ill write a couple of lines:

it took me a little while before getting into the movie because, frankly, its too "sweet" and "sensitive".... and as i stated before, i like to watch more depressing and pessimistic stuff. but thats just me. this isnt the films fault (i guess). but after about 10-15 minutes i really got into it and enjoyed it very much. the "sweetness" and "sensitivity" (in other words "poetry") of the film eventually touched me. great film, well shot. the performances were magical.

though, just to get on another one of my sexual rants,  i dont understand what the big deal with "cheating" is. why are people so upset that their girlfriend or boyfriend fucks other people? its just sex, i wouldnt care if my gf plays monopoly with someone else (though if she sees a movie that i want to see without me, oh shell get the silent treatment :wink: ) so why would i care if she fucks someone else? id like to hear her talk about it too.... is it because people are afraid that their bf/ gf might fall for the someone else that they are fucking or what?

cecil, you be demented

Ernie

Quote from: Disco StuAre you in fact David Gordon Green because you seem to love the guy.

Lol, no man...what's wrong with loving his work as a different person? Have you ever asked MrBurgerKing if in fact he is a resurrected Dave Thomas?

I just realized who you used to be Ghoulardi Goon, I like the change...it's a good name...razor sharp. Anyway, hope you like the movie man, post a little review on this board when you finally see it, I'd like to read it. Glad to know your as interested in this as I am, makes me feel more sane...thanks.

Thanks to Cecil too of course...I know it's not your style to make a post longer than a sentence or two. Sounds like you really liked the movie too. It never occured to me before you mentioned it...about the potential this movie had to piss you off with its sweetness, forgot about that...glad you were able to overlook all that and see the same great movie that I saw man. One thing though...thinking about it now...I think PDL is a little sweeter with its ending and the now famous hawaii kiss shot and all. Were you as hesitant to like and give in to PDL's sweetness as you were with ATRG? Cause I know PDL does offset its sweetness a little with some darkness...while ATRG offsets it with honesty and sadness. Anyway, just wondered what your thoughts were with that.

©brad

Quote from: MacGuffinI'm blind buying this movie. Better be worth it, ebeaman, or you're paying me back.

no joke. ebeaman, i too will blind buy it, but i tell u this now. if this movie isn't atleast half as good as u say it is, im going to come over to ur house in the middle of the night and stab u to death w/ a goddamn cocktail fork.

Cecil

Quote from: ebeamanWere you as hesitant to like and give in to PDL's sweetness as you were with ATRG?

nope, pdl got me from the first second to the last. probably because of its quirks and weirdness

ono

Quote from: ©brad
Quote from: MacGuffinI'm blind buying this movie. Better be worth it, ebeaman, or you're paying me back.

no joke. ebeaman, i too will blind buy it, but i tell u this now. if this movie isn't atleast half as good as u say it is, im going to come over to ur house in the middle of the night and stab u to death w/ a goddamn cocktail fork.
I love this place.

Disco Stu

I think I'm gonna blind buy George Washington, ebeaman.  I can't find it anywhere to rent so that's my last resort.  The price is pretty steep so I sure as hell hope it'll be worth it.  The DVD seems to have a lot of features though.  Are the two short films any good?

I love Days of Heaven and if this is reminiscent of that film, then I should like it.  But if not, it'll be on your conscience.  :lol:
I used to do drugs.  I still do but I used to too!