Best movie so far this decade?

Started by Gold Trumpet, March 04, 2003, 04:44:12 PM

Gold Trumpet

RK, my explanation of Mulholland Drive being that way when comparative to other films like it was just explaining one aspect of it, and its an aspect which a lot of movies are trying to do now.

I can blame Adaptation for trying to be clever. The clever idea is really not that clever, but more of a rip off from 8 1/2, which didn't even rest on the idea to make a good movie. Not only does Adaptation rest on the success of the idea, but it promoted the idea all through out the film. That's all it did. Adaptation I think will be popular for now, but as years go by, it will lose that popularity.

~rougerum

©brad

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetAdaptation I think will be popular for now, but as years go by, it will lose that popularity.

~rougerum

Hmm, I thought stuff was popular for like a month, two tops, not for years.

Gold Trumpet

Where did you hear that lame rule? I give Adaptation 5 years.

~rougerum

©brad

If a movie is popular for 5 years is no longer popular- its legendary.

phil marlowe

I'm a little confused. When you watch a movie, and then in order to find out if it's good or not, then you have to consider it's popularity in five years from now? I don't get that at all. I think some of you guys take this criticism thing a little to seriously. Why can't it just rock you or not?

Gold Trumpet

too serious of a guy. Actually, not really. Its just movies should be built in order to have the same effects as it did upon release down the road. I don't Adaptation will do it. Legendary may be more of 50 years or something.

~rougerum

SHAFTR

Adaptation does give credit to 8 1/2.

Donald Kaufman says that there hasn't been a new genre since Felini's mockumentary.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Derek

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetIts just movies should be built in order to have the same effects as it did upon release down the road.
~rougerum

Movies should be built for the moment. If they sustain popularity, cool.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Gold Trumpet

No way. Outdated movies mainly have existed on the principle of making movies for the moment. That's when you get films that base themselves on making movies that follow the trends of fashion, style of filmmaking, stories and how to show it among so many other things. The great movies that have lasted have been made with an understanding of the good and bad qualities of film for its time and how to bring itself to its own identity to survive time and history. My rule to judge a great movie is to see if it still effective as when released 40 years after being made. Most movies these days follow a same feeling of sorts, in being made, looks and how they tell stories. We complain about these movies all the time and rejoice everytime a Muholland Drive ora Punch-Drunk Love is made.

~rougerum

phil marlowe

Oh, I see it noe. In fact I believe we have made a huge mistake doing the xixax awards 2003. We'll have to do a xixax awards 1963 then. :roll:

Silly us. We cant judge a movie newer that the early sixties. We are being manipulated by the trends of our time.

I will now go and throw out my DVD-collection...

Gold Trumpet

judging 'great' movies.

~rougerum

children with angels

Would someone be completely sick and wrong if - while acknowledging the greatness of Mulholland Drive, and naming Punch-Drunk Love as his favourite movie of the millenium - he was to bring up a film called Moulin Rouge for consideration...?
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

phil marlowe

children with angels

Fair enough. You din't think it was original and moving in a weird way that no other film has been: the fucking pathetic way that we have to express love through trite songs, and yet the beauty coming with the failure to articulate profoundly somehow being an articulation in itself...? Fair enough. I personally think that anything trying to ressurrect the Musical as genre is cool in my book too.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

phil marlowe

I was being sarcastic.

I didn't like Moulin Rouge at all but I can see why people would consider it brilliant. Just thought it was annoying. Not trying to offend you.