the best shakespeare movie (last 10 years)

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 24, 2004, 10:47:25 PM

Jeremy Blackman

NEON MERCURY

i agree the best is the criminally underrated titus.......it also features hopkins at his best....

Weak2ndAct

While I think Titus is technically amazing, story-wise it stumbles a bit too much for me.  O gets my vote.  It's an inventive adapatation, and a moving tragedy.  But perhaps I'm biased by my love for Tim Blake Nelson.

Ghostboy

I'll throw a vote out for 'O' as well. It really was an amazing tranposition of the story. As far as sticking to the text...it's a toss up between 'Titus' and Brannagh's 'Hamlet.' Probably the latter, although it would help if I could actually see it again (VHS doesn't count).

Brannagh's 'Henry V' trumps all of them, though. For my money.

rustinglass

Richard III, You mean "Looking for Richard", right?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Chest Rockwell

Couldn't you have just as easily said something like "Favorite Shakespearian Adaptations of Recent Times" and added Branagh's Henry V. That one obviously beats out any of the movies on this poll. I had to go ahead and say Titus, though.

Alethia

i vote titus..........if you had made it last 20 years we could have maybe possibly perhaps put RAN on the list too - I just saw it and quite liked it...

Ghostboy

Quote from: rustinglassRichard III, You mean "Looking for Richard", right?

No, Ian McKellan did Richard III.

Chest Rockwell

Midsummer Night's Dream is pretty close though...I was very fond of it in my earlier days when it came out, and I still kinda like it....it puts a smile on my face. :)

molly

i think Much Ado About Nothing was with Keanu Reeves, Emma Thompson,...Or i mixed sth?

rustinglass

Quote from: Ghostboy
Quote from: rustinglassRichard III, You mean "Looking for Richard", right?

No, Ian McKellan did Richard III.
´

Oh... Well I think looking for Richard is the best one of the 90's
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Jeremy Blackman

O is a really convincing Shakespeare movie. It just doesn't say "epic" like Titus does.

I've heard of Othello being staged racially reversed (one white guy). That would be an interesting movie.

I added Looking for Richard

Chest Rockwell

O was alright...a little too teenage-a-riffic for my taste, though. Actually Hamlet with Ethan Hawke wasn't so bad either.

Vile5

Quote from: mollyi think Much Ado About Nothing was with Keanu Reeves, Emma Thompson,...Or i mixed sth?
i want to think that Much Ado about Nothing is not on the list because was made in 1993, well MAAN is my favorite, Henry V is really really good too, but it was made in 1989, and RAN one of the most beautiful movies i ever watched was made in 1985 soooo....i think last ten years is not enough
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

Pedro

O.  I've always thought it was just an amazing movie.