Most perfectly composed shot in movie history

Started by Just Withnail, May 22, 2003, 12:32:14 PM

Pwaybloe

Quote from: godardianMy favorite Connelly bit from Requiem would be the muffled bathtub scream. It's beautifully composed... misery. Guess you could say the same of the film itself. I'm a fan.

Have you ever seen the movie "A Perfect Blue?"  It's a Japanese anime (an excellent one), and it had that same scene.  A couple of years later, Aronofsky did a rip-off of that scene in "Requiem..."  

I don't think Aronofsky mentions it in the commentary.

Cecil

Quote from: PawbloeHave you ever seen the movie "A Perfect Blue?"  It's a Japanese anime (an excellent one), and it had that same scene.  A couple of years later, Aronofsky did a rip-off of that scene in "Requiem..."  

she does look very anime-like in that scene

Pedro

Quote from: Pawbloe
Quote from: godardianMy favorite Connelly bit from Requiem would be the muffled bathtub scream. It's beautifully composed... misery. Guess you could say the same of the film itself. I'm a fan.

Have you ever seen the movie "A Perfect Blue?"  It's a Japanese anime (an excellent one), and it had that same scene.  A couple of years later, Aronofsky did a rip-off of that scene in "Requiem..."  

I don't think Aronofsky mentions it in the commentary.
Perfect Blue is nifty.

Pubrick

Quote from: PawbloeHave you ever seen the movie "A Perfect Blue?"  It's a Japanese anime (an excellent one), and it had that same scene.  A couple of years later, Aronofsky did a rip-off of that scene in "Requiem..."
i know..

works on both, i reckon. PB: ekzellent movie tho.
under the paving stones.

godardian

Wow. Great caps, P. I'll have to check into this Perfect Blue. I'm way, way behind on Japanime in particular and animated films in general.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

sexterossa

Quote from: P
i know..

works on both, i reckon. PB: ekzellent movie tho.

wow. and the pier shot in DARK CITY. but he claims coincidence. sure.
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

Myxo

Quote from: Mesh
Quote from: mogwai

that one's pretty average for Kubrick.  However:

- it's kinda a "visual rhyme" within The Shining, hearkening back to the hotel hallway steadicam shots and foreshadowing the hedge maze; the urinals and sinks in red create a kind of "corridor" into the deep space of the shot.

- also, it's blood-redness (and the presence of Grady) recall the subliminally flashed slaughtered twins frames as well as the elevator blood cascade moment—two of the films most shocking segments.

Speaking of Kubrick, is somebody can do DVD captures, and has these DVDs, how about a couple of these shots.

The stairway in Victor's home in Eyes Wide Shut. All lit up with bright Christmas lights. There is one shot in particular with, I THINK, Victor walking upstairs. It is so gorgeously framed.

I'm quite fond of the pool in "Three Colors: Blue" as well. The "fetal position" scene is really beautiful. I think it is right after she has let the cat kill the little mice. She goes for a swim, and then as she is about to get out of the pool, she drops back in and sort of curls up. Really neat shot. All three of the films have some remarkable shots. Red and the fashion model shoot is really beautiful.

ElPandaRoyal

damn, that Pianist shot is quite something!!! POWERFUL

Also, as clichéd as it may be... the shot of Woody Allen (Ike) and Diane Keaton (Mary) in Manhattan, when they're sitting at a bench in the park... fuckin' great[/quote]
Si

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Vile5

Just one?? mmmm.... well this is just one of many that i love, but i think this is magistral, the way how Francis F. Coppola moves the camera here and the music from Wagner, well just terrific...

oh, oh, i was forgetting this one from "Dreams" by Akira Kurosawa loooovely movie!!!!

"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

adolfwolfli

There's a shot early on in Terence Malick's "Days of Heaven" that made my jaw drop the first time I saw it...

It's the long, wide shot of a train going over a very high train trestle, almost in silhouette...I don't even understand how it was done.  Could be a model.  

There are other shots in this movie that are unlike anything you've ever seen.  If you haven't seen it, rent or buy the DVD.  Malick's best film (not really saying much being there are only 3) but just breathtakingly beautiful.

mutinyco

I think this thread is pursuing the wrong topic. Single shots aren't as important as the sequences they belong to. It's a part, not a whole. We should be talking about great sequences.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Sleuth

No, this is a thread for a single shot.  That's what it says in the title.  Go create a sequence thread if you really want to.
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

Quote from: mutinycoWe should be talking about great sequences.

Quote from: tremoloslothGo create a sequence thread if you really want to.

Please don't.

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=687
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleuth

Fine, then I'll create a sequence thread
I like to hug dogs