Angles

Started by Myxo, June 25, 2003, 03:21:19 PM

Myxo

It goes without saying that we've all seen a lot of films.

So, here is my question for you all.

What are some of your personal favorite camera angles in the films you love? Maybe it isn't even a camera angle. Maybe it is a frame in your head from a film that you love. It could even be a particular moment that is lit brilliantly. You choose, but it should be a very short part of a film. This isn't a discussion about your favorite scenes. This should be an angle/frame. Here are a few that stick out right away for me.

- Victor's party at his home in Eyes Wide Shut. Particularly the Christmas lights on the stairway.
- The opening shot of Alex in A Clockwork Orange.
- The "Red Room" in Twin Peaks.
- Ed Harris falling to disarm the nuclear weapon in The Abyss.
- The 99 cent store in Punch-Drunk Love, and the opening frame of the frozen food section.
- The opening moment of Peter's (Vince Vaughn) entrance into Edward's nightmare world in The Cell. The women in the field staring at the sky.
- The opening few frames in 8 1/2 are really beautiful. The camera move along the top of the car right before Guido starts flying is pretty neat.
- The shot of Ed Norton looking like a Nazi maniac in American History X just after he curbs that black guy.
- The swimming pool in Three Colors: Blue.
- I really like some of the opening shots in Pitch Black after they crash.
- I like the velometer shots in Requiem for a Dream.

I could go on. It's tough because alot of times I realized it wasn't a shot necessarily, or some lightning that I liked. I kept adding stuff that ended up being an entire scene.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Myxo

jokerspath

American Psycho - where you see his apartment for the first time and it glides into the room w/ the beautiful lighting and the light piano score.  He is stretching out a few moments later wearing just underwear and his body looks like a fucking work of art.  Its not really an interesting angle, but its just a really neat combination of things that I feel brings a lot to the scene (particularly the fact that he is the perfect male, as he describes how he attains such beauty).  

That's the first thing that came to mind when you asked.

I wish I could do those screen shots (caps?) y'all post so often...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

jokerspath

I feel like an ass now too...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Myxo

Quote from: jokerspathI feel like an ass now too...

aw

Seriously. I think the link to that post is like a month old.

Oh well. Let's start a new discussion about framing/lighting/angles.

:)

MacGuffin

Quote from: halo_onSeriously. I think the link to that post is like a month old.

Last post was on June 7th. Technically 18 days.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Xixax

It's getting harder and harder to talk about something that hasn't been talked about before. I've fallen victim to a few redirects myself in the past.

Let's jst close this shit down. We're finished talking. Now we're just repeating ourselves.

Hey, at least we outlived the C&C boards!

Note: before I start getting all kind of e-mail, the above statement was a JOKE.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Sleuth

No, I think you really should.  This boat is out of control
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

I have an idea, let's talk about Foreign Films.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleuth

Mmm, good idea.  You know, they're my favorite genre
I like to hug dogs

modage

Quote from: tremoloslothMmm, good idea.  You know, they're my favorite genre

:crazyeyes: ARGHH!  *(smashes sliding glass doors!)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

i like how u can be listening to music and talkin on the phone and still follow the dialogue.

in fact, i've never watched em any other way.
under the paving stones.

jokerspath

If I may now unload my first redirect...

http://download.xixax.com/goatsecxixax.jpg

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Myxo

Quote from: jokerspathIf I may now unload my first redirect...

http://download.xixax.com/goatsecxixax.jpg

aw

Oh
My
God.

<claws eyes out>