official Fiona Apple thread

Started by neatahwanta, November 29, 2003, 05:24:09 PM

Robyn

it's brutal how she references one of the most cheerful songs of all time and then seconds later drop that rape line. I also can't believe how she manages to build momentum and carry the energy from the first moment to last... it just gets better and better with each song

Alma

Quote from: Robyn on April 18, 2020, 12:16:09 PM
it's brutal how she references one of the most cheerful songs of all time and then seconds later drop that rape line. I also can't believe how she manages to build momentum and carry the energy from the first moment to last... it just gets better and better with each song

That line absolutely floored me.

Drenk

I'm sharing this video because these kids cracked me up. I love their chemistry and confidence.

Ascension.

csage97

I can appreciate that Fiona's sound is quite unique, especially on this album. The sound of the album kind of exists in its own context and as a jumping off point from Fiona's previous albums (except for some loose associations, influences, or what have you). The home-recorded percussion really contributes to the atmosphere. I just feel like Fiona's songwriting, or lack thereof, has never really grabbed me too much. The sing-song style of her vocal melodies is just kind of ... ehh. The "using anything in my house for percussion" is a nice idea but sounds unpolished and annoying after a few minutes. The vocals are also mixed so bright and are so omnipresent that I can't stand them for long. Not that the vocal mic she used is particularly bad, but it could've been darker and smoother.

That said, this is still better than at least half the crap out there these days and has merit in its inventiveness and uniqueness alone. Part of the strength of the release (which was probably anticipated by Fiona's team to some extent) is all the chaotic press -- being released during this "downtime" and getting a perfect score from Pitchfork, the backlash from some, and how that press will inevitably fuel the endurance and legacy of the album. At any rate, I didn't know Pitchfork gave it a 10 before I listened and just thought, Hey, a new Fiona Apple album; I'll give it a listen. I was lukewarm after a song and a half, got bored, started getting a bit irritated, and shut it off. Came back and didn't find my opinion changed much.

Rooty Poots

Quote from: csage97 on April 26, 2020, 05:22:30 PM
I just feel like Fiona's songwriting, or lack thereof, has never really grabbed me too much.

I think she's one of the greatest lyricists working today. Brilliant wordplay.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

csage97

Quote from: Rooty Poots on April 27, 2020, 05:59:35 PM
Quote from: csage97 on April 26, 2020, 05:22:30 PM
I just feel like Fiona's songwriting, or lack thereof, has never really grabbed me too much.

I think she's one of the greatest lyricists working today. Brilliant wordplay.

I should've specified that I was referring almost wholly to the music only. I always listen to the music first. Storytelling and lyrics come second for me (strictly what the artist is saying ). I bet lots of people would disagree with such a black-and-white way of looking at things. But in my mind, if a lyricist's music isn't good but their lyrics are, they should be doing something else, like script writing, poetry, fiction, etc. I get that lyrics can be intertwined with rhythm, melody, emotional impact of a song and/or album, so on, so I get that there are severe limitations to what I'm trying to say. So I do try to revisit music with this in mind too. I went back to Kendrick Lamar's stuff and found there's a deeper layer that bolsters the music to something great.

So yeah, I totally concede that the lyrics could be great on Fiona's album and are probably tied to the music itself, and that I should go back and listen, which I most likely will. I'm also just a harsh reviewer of things and probably have some sort of deep-seated schadenfreude complex going on in that I typically default to negative reviews unless something pulls me in and makes me think otherwise. Maybe it's tied to making myself feel better.  :yabbse-grin:

Drenk

I believe that Fiona is a great songwriter of music! Obviously, Fetch is more free-form than her past work and I wanted to answer to your message with a sort of review from the album—but I'm not at that point yet! The thing is, I understand that it would sonically not interest people the same way late Coltrane period is just messy noise.

The way her voice/singing/enunciation/lyrics/words/sounds clash and complement with the instrumentation plays a big part in what makes her music great.

Not About Love has an ingenious structure but feels like a "classic" tune, it's natural.

Ascension.

Alma

Fiona will be performing (and being interviewed) at the digital New Yorker festival!

https://festival.newyorker.com/agenda/session/333552

Can't wait to hear some of the songs from the new album being played live.