HAIM - "Valentine"

Started by velociraptor, April 27, 2017, 09:45:40 AM

Drenk

Quote from: eward on October 07, 2020, 01:59:41 PM
One wonders if she's ever had to work a legit "Joe" job before.

Probably not. The one where she goes from job to job is particularly ludicrous.

I love the new one, though. Lovely way to twist the song.
Ascension.

wilberfan

Any significance to the large selection of salamis hanging in the background?

WorldForgot

Shughes

I loved this. Interesting take on the song - and I like that there was more going on with the soundtrack than just the song. Nice to see the 2.35:1 ratio again as well.

WorldForgot

Though it looks great, I prefer Flat over Scope for the 70s setting of the upcoming flick.

Maybe the scope hopefuls can knock on wood that this video points to an Anamorphic feature.

Drenk

QuoteThe story begins when Anderson told the band they should all get together and film a music video for "Summer Girl," but the problem was the song was not finished yet. As band member Este Haim said, "We were like to Paul, 'Wait, pump the breaks. We haven't even finished the song.' But he was like, 'Who gives a shit. Let's do a video for it.'

That's not surprising.
Ascension.

wilberfan

For posterity:

QuotePaul Thomas Anderson has directed six music videos for the Haim sisters, whose 2020 rock album "Women in Music Pt. III" is nominated at the Grammys for Album of the Year later this year. But it turns out the "Phantom Thread" and "Boogie Nights" director has impacted Haim's music far more than just from behind the camera. On this week's episode of the "Song Exploder" podcast, the band and their collaborators revealed that Anderson played a key role in writing the bridge of the song "Summer Girl" after he sent over unused movie dialogue for the Haim members to use however they wanted.

The story begins when Anderson told the band they should all get together and film a music video for "Summer Girl," but the problem was the song was not finished yet. As band member Este Haim said, "We were like to Paul, 'Wait, pump the breaks. We haven't even finished the song.' But he was like, 'Who gives a shit. Let's do a video for it.' When Paul Thomas Anderson says, 'Jump,' you say, 'How high?'"

"We are such big fans of him and to collaborate with someone like that is unbelievable," Danielle Haim said. "It's very strange to even talk about it. Paul was saying there should be a part in the video where she's just looking in the camera and speaking."

To help the band finish the song, and hearing that Danielle Haim wanted the "Summer Girl" bridge to include spoken dialogue, Anderson decided to send over pages of unused movie dialogue to the band to help get the song finished so that they could all shoot the music video.

"I told him we were thinking of adding this bridge where Danielle is talking to me and he sent unused dialogue from some stuff he had written in the past and he said, 'See if any of this inspires you,'" Haim producer Ariel Rechtshaid said.

Danielle Haim added, "We had these pages of [Paul Thomas Anderson's] dialogue and we kind of just picked out certain words. It's weird how the words on the page fit the song."

One part of Anderson's unused movie dialogue involved an earthquake drill, which inspired the part of "Summer Girl" where Danielle Haim says, "I need you to understand these are the earthquake drills we ran." Rechtshaid was also trying to find words to describe how Danielle Haim, who is also his girlfriend, stood by him and uplifted him after he was diagnosed with cancer the year prior. That's when Rechtshaid stumbled on a piece of Anderson's unused dialogue that read "walk beside me," which also found its way into the song.

"I sent [the song] to Paul and he was like, 'That's great!'" Rechtshaid said. "I asked if he wanted writing credit and he was like, 'No, I didn't write that. You completely recontextualized it."

The ongoing collaboration between Haim and Anderson is set to continue with the director's next movie, which was shot in late summer and fall 2020 under the working title "Soggy Bottom." The youngest Haim member, Alana Haim, has a starring role in the movie opposite Bradley Cooper and Cooper Hoffman, son of the late Philip Seymour Hoffman. Haim will also stay busy in the movie world by writing the original music to the upcoming Netflix animated musical "The Witch Boy."

wilberfan

itwasgood

wilberfan

Today is Feb 10th; Tues is the 15th...?   :ponder:

Yes

It's apparently in theaters playing with the movie this weekend

wilberfan

From someone that saw LOST TRACK before LP last night:

QuoteIts referred to as Lost Track, it stars mainly Danielle Haim and it's set in what appears to be a church or a banquet hall with some kind of celebration (baby shower, wedding shower, that kind of vibe). There's older women who rearrange the room (tables, chairs, etc) for the last half of the video.

The video follows Danielle as she dances, walks, and sings the song. The song leans more towards the style of "Cherry Flavored Stomache Ache" the song they released last year, a very bright pop song. It is a new song.

I didn't realize it was a new video when I saw it, I thought it was just a part of licorice pizza that everyone had seen. I hope that helps!