Charlie Kaufman?

Started by Xeditor, January 22, 2003, 07:30:39 PM

Champion Souza

I was there, too.  It was a good talk, I thought.

The worst part was the audience's questions.  You'd think people would come up with better ideas to ask about.  I had a question about his version of A Scanner Darkly compared to Linklater's but chickened out on trying to ask it.

Unfortunately I left before you gave him the tart.

Alexandro

so, the people with the good questions don't ask them and the people with the bad questions are the ones asking all of them.

who's fault is it then?

picolas

Quote from: Gamblour. on October 07, 2009, 08:31:55 PM(I also don't get the reference, wait, is it what Cage orders at the diner with the waitress he fantasizes about?)
yeah. i just figured he must like it, referencing it twice.

Neil

It just hit me the other day I was watching 'Human Nature' that, Mr. Kaufman has a thing for red heads.

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

O.

superb

Brando

If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

MacGuffin

Charlie Kaufman To Adapt 'Chaos Walking,' Lionsgate's Next Franchise Play
BY MIKE FLEMING | Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: Lionsgate has high hopes that the Patrick Ness young adult novel series Chaos Walking has the potential to become another futuristic Hunger Games-esque franchise. While the mission on most of those book to movie sensations is to stick close to the books, Lionsgate has done an intriguing thing on Chaos Walking: they've set Charlie Kaufman to adapt the first book in the series.

The Carnegie Medal winning book is set in a dystopian future with humans colonizing a distant earth-like planet. When an infection called the Noise suddenly makes all thought audible, privacy vanishes, chaos ensues, and a corrupt autocrat threatens to take control of the human settlements and wage war with the indigenous alien race. Only young Todd Hewitt holds the key to stopping planet wide-destruction. Doug Davison's Quadrant Pictures is producing.

Kaufman seems an inspired choice. His previous adaptations of the Chuck Barris memoir Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, and the Susan Orlean book The Orchid Thief (which became the Meryl Streep-starrer Adaptation) took the subject matter into all kinds of imaginative directions not found in the pages of those books.

Kaufman, who just made a deal with Grand Central Publishing to write his own first novel, is separately working on directing his script, Frank or Francis. It's a Hollywood satire set to music where a film director feuds with a blogger, and Nicolas Cage, Steve Carell, Elizabeth Banks, Catherine Keener, Jack Black, Kevin Kline and Paul Reubens are all circling roles. Kaufman is repped by WME.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

72teeth

wont happen, i know first-hand he has a hard time adapting other people's work... but im going to read em now anyway
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

MacGuffin

Charlie Kaufman Working on an HBO Series to Star Catherine Keener
Source: Deadline

How amazing does this sound? According to Deadline, Charlie Kaufman is working on a half-hour comedy now in development at HBO, which he'll write and direct and which will star Catherine Keener (who'll also serve as producer).

Deadline describes the project, still untitled, as "an exploration of one day in a woman's life and how the events leading up to it can affect, or not, the reality in which she lives." Sound very... Kaufmanesque. Or like "Mrs Dalloway" meets "24," but funny?

This will be the first small-screen starring vehicle for Keener, who's worked with Kaufman before in "Being John Malkovich" and "Synecdoche, New York," and who's attached to his upcoming musical Hollywood satire "Frank Or Francis." She hasn't acted in television since appearing as Jerry's girlfriend in the "Seinfeld" episode "The Letter." Kaufman, of course, got his start in TV, having written for Chris Elliott's "Get a Life," "Ned and Stacey" and "The Dana Carvey Show" in the years before "Being John Malkovich."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Brando

Quote from: 72teeth on April 24, 2012, 12:15:33 PM
wont happen, i know first-hand he has a hard time adapting other people's work... but im going to read em now anyway

I just started the trilogy myself just cause I heard he's adapting the first book. I'm 16% through the entire series cause I'm reading it on a kindle. It's a western meets sci fi and comes across as a difficult book to adapt due to the "noise." I'm actually very excited to see how he tackles the project.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Reel

"Say who you are, really say it in your life and in your work. Tell someone out there who is lost, who is not yet born, someone who won't be born for 500 years. Your writing will be a record of your time, it can't help but be. More importantly, if you are honest about who you are, you'll help that person be less lonely in their World, because that person will recognize him or herself in you and that will give them hope. It's done so for me, and I have to keep rediscovering it, its profound importance in my life. Give that to the world, rather than selling something to the World. Don't allow yourself to be tricked into thinking that the way things are is the way the World must work and that in the end, selling is what everyone must do. Try not to."

- Charlie Kaufmann Lecture at BAFTA

MacGuffin

Charlie Kaufman Pens Stop-Motion Animated Film 'Anomalisa,' 'Community' Creator Dan Harmon Exec-Producing
Source: Playlist

Charlie Kaufman might be having some issues getting his next directorial effort, "Frank Or Francis," up and running, but he's not exactly lacking for work. The writer of "Adaptation" and "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind" is adapting young-adult novel "The Knife Of Letting Go" for Lionsgate, and he's developing an HBO series starring Catherine Keener. And now, he's moving into new territory with some very, very interesting collaborators.

As pointed out by sometime Playlist contributor @williambgoss on Twitter, a Kickstarter page popped up today for a project called "Anomalisa," a stop-motion animated film written by Kaufman, his first incursion away from live-action. And he's teamed up with Starburns Industries to get the film made. What does that mean? Well, as the title might give away to fans, it means a "Community" tie-in, with the cult sitcom's creator and former showrunner, Dan Harmon, along with his friend and sometime collaborator Dino Stamatopolous, who played the occasional character of Starburns on the series, as well as being a consulting producer. But he's probably best known as the man behind cult Adult Swim animation "Moral Orel" and "Mary Shelley's Frankenhole."

The company are using the resources they've amassed for their series in the past to make the show, with Duke Johnson, who helmed the animated Christmas "Community" episode a couple of years back, as well as episodes of Stamatopolous' series, directing. And you can get involved too; they're looking for $200,000 to get the project made, with bonuses ranging from an executive producer credit to a thank you on Twitter, and everything inbetween. So far, they've taken $3000, with 60 days left to go, and given the fanbases involved, we suspect that they'll manage their target, and more.

And as for the plot? Well, it sounds typically Kaufman-esque, and far from your usual subject matter for animated films; ready the full synopsis below. . If this gets off the ground, Starburns Industries say they've got more projects in the works, from Harmon, Robert Smigel and Louis C.K, which all sounds pretty terrific,so if you want to show some encouragement, head over to Kickstarter and put a little money into the project.

Anomalisa is a stop-motion animated film written by Charlie Kaufman (Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind). 

The film follows a celebrated motivational speaker travelling the country, changing the lives of countless people. But in the course of transforming others, his life has become hollow and meaningless. It's a grey and monotonous existence where people literally look and sound identical. 

Suddenly one day, a girl's voice pierces through the veil of nothingness. She fills him with such a rush of "aliveness", he's willing to abandon everything and everyone, including his own family, and escape with her to a better life.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reel

Champion Souza

Quote from: Reelist on August 08, 2012, 06:31:53 AM
Quote from: Reelist on June 05, 2012, 02:26:29 AM
Charlie Kaufmann Lecture at BAFTA

Here's a 5 min excerpt of that speech with a cool little short film behind it. What I have to offer

I want Kaufman to write another screenplay that moves me as much as that speech did. 
There's an audio file of it on that site if people didn't check the link.  Worth listening to.

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: Reelist on June 05, 2012, 02:26:29 AM
"Say who you are, really say it in your life and in your work. Tell someone out there who is lost, who is not yet born, someone who won't be born for 500 years. Your writing will be a record of your time, it can't help but be. More importantly, if you are honest about who you are, you'll help that person be less lonely in their World, because that person will recognize him or herself in you and that will give them hope. It's done so for me, and I have to keep rediscovering it, its profound importance in my life. Give that to the world, rather than selling something to the World. Don't allow yourself to be tricked into thinking that the way things are is the way the World must work and that in the end, selling is what everyone must do. Try not to."

- Charlie Kaufmann Lecture at BAFTA

Wow.... Just... Wow....

That Quote is so going on my bedroom wall. This quote and Jonathan demme's "Life writes your script" speech is probably the best advice for writers out there. It sure helps me.
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.