Sofia Coppola

Started by Rudie Obias, April 18, 2003, 08:27:21 PM

Stefen

in hindsight, does anyone feel lost in translation is way overrated?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

kotte

Myxo

Quote from: Stefenin hindsight, does anyone feel lost in translation is way overrated?

Nope.

pete

Christopher Doyle:
"It's articulating the Bush doctrine of how to engage with the rest of the world. Let's all be Americans, that's what it's saying."
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

kotte

Quote from: peteChristopher Doyle:
"It's articulating the Bush doctrine of how to engage with the rest of the world. Let's all be Americans, that's what it's saying."

Yeah, I read that...and that's crap. How could a film as obviously personal as this be propaganda?

Sleuth

He doesn't mean it's an actual mouthpiece for the government.....
I like to hug dogs

UncleJoey

Still an absolutely idiotic comment to make.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: Pubricknope.

...and for the others that agree (with Doyle's statement), please explain to me why.

pete

a film doesn't have to be "propaganda" in order to embody a belief.
- Buster Keaton

kotte

Okay, wrong word...

People read into it what they want. She wrote about her own experiences in Tokyo. She's american and people in Tokyo happen to be asian. Sure there were some cheap jokes about language but I don't think that's what we're talking about, is it?

pete

that is assuming her "American" perspective is a sensitive and innocent one (one that is inoffensive to the rest of the world that is weary of globalization and class differences).  That is also assuming that one's point of view cannot transcend above what is deemed an "American" p.o.v..
BTW, the "bush doctrine" is also a "personal" one, I mean, it's even named after the guy.
- Buster Keaton

kotte

Okay, I can't argue with what you're saying, it's about different perspectives.
All I see is something deeply personal without judgment. But we all come from different backgrounds and relate to things differently. This one I do very much though not literally.

UncleJoey

Even if the film is ethnocentric in some way (I personally don't think it is), I don't see how it promotes a uniquely American way of life. The most flawed characters in the movie (John and Kelly) are a fairly harsh critique of the American lifestyle.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

pete

again, that is assuming that "American lifestyle" is a singular entity.  The democrats are fiercely against a lot of "American" things and still remain fiercely American themselves, yet to the rest of the world (or parts of the world) Clinton was just as bad as George W..
- Buster Keaton